Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student’s “Psychic Attack” at Japanese School

Still Waters

In a fantastically strange bit of news from the Land of the Rising Sun, a “psychic attack” straight out of a Stephen King novel was reported at an all-girls school, sending over a dozen to the hospital and shaking up the student body.

Last Wednesday at the well-known prep school Kamigōri High in Hyogo, Japan, emergency services were called out and a reported 18 girls were taken to two separate hospitals after what was described as a bizarre, hour long “state of panic” during which dozens of teen girls began hyperventilating.

http://whofortedblog...18-to-hospital/

• Like 2

its carrie all over again! people should leave people alone

• Like 1

Episodes of mass hysteria are always interesting. Our mind and how it is connected to our environment and others in it is fascinating.

Time to dust off my Wizard of Darkness movies and maybe look into the live-action TV series.

Edited by The world needs you

SHIZZAH!

mass hysteria

it happens, if im in a highly populated public place and randomly yell oh my god! and start running away people will do the same

or if you scream and suddenly duck undersomething for cover people will react around you

fear spreads like wild fire

• Like 1

Over here there were vaccinations of some sort and in a girls school it happened and they thought it was a side effect from the vaccine. But nope, just hysteria.

This choking by a winged glowing orb has happened before. See post#6 in this thread Ball of light watching me sleep?

This is very odd to find this thread. I have had this problem, if this is a problem ... and recently. I woke up choking and as I was sitting up in bed I saw a small round light flitting across the wall. This is the middle of the night and I am backed onto woods. So this was all very odd and I wondered if the light was choking me, I wondered if it was just coincidence that I was choking. I would like to think that this thing wasnt trying to hurt me. I have a digital camera to hand and will try to get a photo of it if I see it again. Well Done PinupGirl for getting a photo of it. Your light looks just like the one that I saw. Are we being invaded by some life form ??

It's also reminiscent of the recent Is a Ghost Lurking in a Factory Toilet?

Edited by RingFenceTheCity

I think people should start rising their own selves consciousness, mind is a powerful thing and it can be a shielding tool to protect them selves from such psychic attack scenario. I could imagine the teenagers, all they could think are just being popular, having latest gadgets, talking and thinking boys, talking updates on celebrities and so on, so that would be a perfect object for people who perpetrate this sick game.

Maybe it was just an easy excuse to get out of school for a few hours.

• Like 2

Assuming any of the symptoms were real, it's probably some sort of gas leak, bad food or such and not some "psychic attack" nonsense.

Am I bugging out here too or did this or a similar incident happen to Japanese girls about a year or two ago???

Female group hysteria is not a new phenomenon. There have been many reported cases similar to this in many countries. Typically girls in this age group, and typically friends. It is an interesting phenomenon, but really nothing new.

This type of incident surfaces now and again. For instance,

In the town of Derby, England -- accroding to the Derby Mercury, May 15, 1905 -- there were occurrences in a girls' school; girls screamed and dropped to the floor, unconscious. In five days, there were forty-five instances of girls, who screamed and dropped unconscious. "The girls were exceedingly weak, and had to be carried home. One child had lost strength so that she could not even sit up." It was thought that some unknown, noxious gas, or vapor, was present: but mice were placed in the schoolrooms, and they were unaffected. Then the scientific explanation was "mass psychology."

The explanation of 'mass hysteria' or 'mass psychology' seems a coward's way out to me though.

• Like 2

This one was triggered by a mystery smell which was never resolved. Lizard-birds are known to release an awefull smell, but more sulfurous than 'gasoline-like' perhaps. It happened a second time..

The McMinnville School Poison Gas Episode

Nearly 200 students and teachers were hospitalized during a mysterious outbreak of illness at Warren County High School in McMinnville, Tenn., in November 1998. A local newspaper, the Southern Standard, ran the headline “Students Poisoned: Mysterious Fumes Sicken Almost 100 at High School.” It began when a teacher reported smelling a gasoline-like odor in her classroom that made her sick. A few of her students then also became sick, and the school was closed for testing.

No contamination was found, nor any medical or environmental cause for the symptoms, which included headache, dizziness, nausea and drowsiness. Following a clean bill of health, the school reopened, and soon a second cluster of students fell ill and closed down the school a second time. All recovered from the attack.

As these cases show, the LeRoy high school incident is only one of many strange episodes of mass sociogenic illness — and there will be more.

This one isn't new apparently Penis-Snatching Panics Resurface in Africa (19 March 2013)

In a recent issue of "Pacific Standard" magazine, Louisa Lombard, an anthropologist at the University of California at Berkeley, described visiting a small town in the Central African Republic where she encountered two men who claimed that their penises had been stolen.

It seems that the day before, a traveler visiting the town had shaken hands with a tea vendor who immediately claimed he felt a shock and sensed that his penis had shrunk. He cried out in alarm, gathering a crowd, and a second man then said it also happened to him.

This is not the setup to a joke; it is a real psychological disorder called koro in which victims (mostly men, but sometimes women) come to believe that their genitals are shrinking or retracting into the body. The concern is not only for their sexuality, but also for their lives, since they believe that the condition may be life threatening if not reversed. In order to prevent further shrinkage, victims have been known to securely tie their penises with string or metal clamps — even sometimes having family members hold it in relays until treatment can be sought, usually from shamen or traditional healers.

The condition has most often been found in Africa in recent decades, though it has also been widely reported in Asia. [The 9 Most Bizarre Medical Conditions]

"In recent years, news media in several West African countries have reported periodic episodes of 'panic' in which men and women are beaten, sometimes to death, after being accused of causing penises, breasts, and vaginas to shrink or disappear," wrote Vivian Dzokoto and Glenn Adams in a study published in 2005 in the journal Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry. "At least 56 separate cases of genital shrinking, disappearance, and snatching have been reported in the last seven years [1998-2005] by news media of seven West African countries."

Victims of koro usually believe that a touch or "accidental" brush with a stranger caused the theft, in the same way that a pickpocket might steal a wallet.Dzokotoand Adams give one example of a 17-year-old man in Ghana who "claimed that he had gone to fetch water for his father and was returning when [the perpetrator] came behind him, touched him and immediately he felt his penis shrink until it was no longer visible."

Koro can be understood in a variety of ways; from a psychological perspective it can be seen as an example of mass hysteria or delusion, in which a collective cultural belief can be manifested in one person's experience — whether objectively "real" or not.

"Victims of genitalia-shrinking panics recover within hours or days after being convinced that the 'illness' is over or never existed, and most clearly lack any psychosexual problems," write sociologist Robert Bartholomew and myself, in the book "Hoaxes, Myths, and Mania: Why We Need Critical Thinking" (Prometheus Books, 2003).

"Penis-shrinking panics are a timely reminder that no one is immune from mass delusions and that the influence of culture and society on individual behavior is far greater than most of us would like to admit. Yet the main reason for the absence of penis-shrinking epidemics in Western societies is their incredible nature ... but any delusion is possible if the false belief underlying it is plausible." [Americans' Belief in Paranormal Phenomena (Infographic)]

In this case the delusion is made possible by the underlying belief in witchcraft, or black magic. A 2010 Gallup poll found that belief in magic is widespread throughout sub-Saharan Africa, with over half of respondents saying they personally believe in witchcraft. Studies in 18 countries in sub-Saharan Africa show belief varies widely, but on average 55 percent of people polled believe in witchcraft.Because most Westerners do not believe in magic — or at least not in the variety that has the potential to shrink or steal someone's genitals — there is no underlying belief system that would make koro plausible and thus no one reports it.

No one has ever died from koro, at least not directly. Belief in koro can have deadly consequences: hundreds of people have been accused of stealing (or shrinking) other people's genitals, and dozens have been killed for the accusations. In many cases koro "victims" have shouted and asked bystanders to help apprehend the penis thief, whereupon the accused people — often as surprised as everyone else and protesting their innocence — have been lynched on the spot by street mobs, much the way an accused mugger or rapist might be set upon by "street justice."

Hahahahaha. I have seen this several times already. Teenage girls are funny this way. It's usually a group of cheerleaders. Usually some strange smell is blamed, fire departments are called out even the hazmat. I for one think it's funny that a bunch of teens can work each other up so bad.

It is scary when it happens. The hyperventilation causes their blood oxygen go down then their fingers start to get stiff and curl in on themselves. The other girls realize she isn't fakeing then they get worked up. Pretty soon you have a whole cheerleader squad rolling on the ground gasping for breath and their fingers and arms seem to be twisting and the entire fire deartment is on its way.

I once almost sent a group of girl scouts into this. The group was about 11 12 years old. I teach a safety program for young people and I was calmly discussing a technique I invented called verbal program. it's a way for the child to disengage from a conversation and not be manipulated. I teach them that it's pointless to argue and to just practice the skill. Well... I always pick who I identify as the social leader of the group for role playing to show them how easily a child can manipulated by an adult. Ill have them hopping up an down and barking like a dog. The rest of the class soon reslizes that their 'leader' will do any bizarre thing I ask of her. Then I show her where she went wrong and we cover the skill set and she does a retry and most of the time they are able to prevent me from manipulating them again. Lesson learned. This particular child was very willful ( to her credit), but she started arguing with me instead of following the skill set. This is all role playing mind you. As we became more and more intense with each other I reached with my hand and slapped the side of her desk to make a loud pop and it moved her desk a bit. Instantly she was sent into a hyperventilation. She was smiling because she knew it was all fake, but she couldn't stop. I apologized and attempted to calm her. She was fanning herself and doing everything she could to get herself under control. The adults in the room were smiling and nodding because I had prooven my point, but I felt horrible. But it wasn't over.

One of the other girls started up aswell. 30 seconds latter followed by another. Knowing that this can turn into a mass event I asked the teachers to remove the three girls from the others for a few minutes. At first they didn't understand until I whispered into one of the teachers ears that they are all going to be this way in about five minutes. As they were takeing them outside a fourth started up aswell and she went with them. I took the rest through a breathing excercise to calm them.

I felt so bad for the rest of the day until I got a call from the organizer that that was the most amazing thing he had ever seen anyone do in a class room. The letter the girls wrote me sits in my scrap book. Quit a day.

So yes it was psychic attack in japan ... it was their own psyche and this peculiar group tendency of young girls.

I still think its funny. I can't help but chuckle a little bit every time I hear of one of these stories.

• Like 1

I think people should start rising their own selves consciousness, mind is a powerful thing and it can be a shielding tool to protect them selves from such psychic attack scenario. I could imagine the teenagers, all they could think are just being popular, having latest gadgets, talking and thinking boys, talking updates on celebrities and so on, so that would be a perfect object for people who perpetrate this sick game.

Or just mass hysteria with nothing psychic about it.

"Pack mentality" is well known across many species.

It seems more common to exist if the "leader" of a group claims to experience an event. Though not always a "leader", but often.

In both human and non-human animals, this "hysteria" can go both ways. If the leader attacks, most of the rest will also attack.

If the leader retreats, most(not necessarily all) will also retreat.

Again, this seems to exist among many differing species, which includes humans.

Don't know about this case. Could be gas or whatever. What seems to be certain, though, is that someone in that group took it to a new level, and the rest followed.

• Like 1

All you naysayers are wrong. This next case isn't do easily explained by "mass hysteria"

• Like 1

62 children claimed to have witnessed the event(in the above video)

Yet no adults.

Since when are 62 children left to play on their own in a school yard with no adults present?

Edited by pallidin

hmmm well this seems plausible, and they may have been attacked by a negative energy. Or more plausible, the girl with abilities was attacked and then the Trupila effect came into play

• Like 1

hmmm well this seems plausible, and they may have been attacked by a negative energy. Or more plausible, the girl with abilities was attacked and then the Trupila effect came into play

Can you explain what the Trupila effect is exactly?

The explanation of 'mass hysteria' or 'mass psychology' seems a coward's way out to me though.

I presume you've never had a panic attack before then.

I have, and I for one thought I was having a heart attack.

62 children claimed to have witnessed the event(in the above video)

Yet no adults.

Since when are 62 children left to play on their own in a school yard with no adults present?

Poor playground duty coordination.