Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plato or Aristotle?

kannin

i know plate was his teacher but witch one excelled further? did the prodigy out due his master? whats your opinions!

They both provided wonderful insight into the human condition. I often quote both for points of wisdom and conversation.

Just look over to my avatar for a rather profound quote...

I have always appreciated this Plato quote...it is so fitting to today's world...

"The price of apathy in public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."...Plato

Here is another quote...I had an argument with someone recently who said this was not proven to be an Aristotle quote...however...the ages say it is and I will accept it as an Aristotle quote until someone can "prove" it is not.

"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms."...Aristotle

Sometimes the burden of proof against the words of history are bore by the denier...this seems and sounds like something Aristotle would have said...and I embrace the words....why?...because they ring true.

Here are a couple other Aristotle attributed quotes I rather appreciate...

"At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."

"The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes."

By the way....you prob should have put this under "Philosophy" and not ancient,alternative history. There is no dispute that both Gentlemen existed...there is no "alternative" take on that....

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 1

They both provided wonderful insight into the human condition. I often quote both for points of wisdom and conversation.

Just look over to my avatar for a rather profound quote...

I have always appreciated this Plato quote...it is so fitting to today's world...

"The price of apathy in public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."...Plato

Here is another quote...I had an argument with someone recently who said this was not proven to be an Aristotle quote...however...the ages say it is and I will accept it as an Aristotle quote until someone can "prove" it is not.

thank you for this insightful reply"Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into despotisms."...Aristotle

Sometimes the burden of proof against the words of history are bore by the denier...this seems and sounds like something Aristotle would have said...and I embrace the words....why?...because they ring true.

Here are a couple other Aristotle attributed quotes I rather appreciate...

"At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."

"The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes."

By the way....you prob should have put this under "Philosophy" and not ancient,alternative history. There is no dispute that both Gentlemen existed...there is no "alternative" take on that....

thank you for this insightful reply

lol i know the other were great but im saying between the teacher and student

• 2 weeks later...

Read Plato's The Republic...As a political science major, it's the best thing I've ever read.

Read Plato's The Republic...As a political science major, it's the best thing I've ever read.

i have gazed at it but i think ill fallow through with it this time just have to find time

The greatest early democratic thinker of early times was Unga-lok, the Paleolithic age man, who said, "Hunt while you can; eat while able; die when done."

Adam Smith tried to turn this into economic policy. Jonathan Swift mocked it. Reagan, Thatcher, austerity budgets, Bush and many others made it popular.

Personally I think it is nearly impossible to determine which of the two was greater. There is no doubt that Plato was a great philosopher as evidenced by his works but the problem is with Aristotle's works. Everything Aristotle wrote himself was destroyed when the Library in Alexandria was burned if I remember correctly and all we have left from Aristotle are technical treatises from his school.

It seems from other Greek philosophers of that time span that they viewed Aristotle as being a much better writer and philosopher then Plato but since we don't really have Aristotle's works to compare to Plato's works it is impossible to determine which one was greater.

Personally I always liked Plato more.

• Like 1

...really? From your post, you seem awfully indebted to the visual and dramatic artists than Plato hustled out of town.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

Personally I think it is nearly impossible to determine which of the two was greater. There is no doubt that Plato was a great philosopher as evidenced by his works but the problem is with Aristotle's works. Everything Aristotle wrote himself was destroyed when the Library in Alexandria was burned if I remember correctly and all we have left from Aristotle are technical treatises from his school.

It seems from other Greek philosophers of that time span that they viewed Aristotle as being a much better writer and philosopher then Plato but since we don't really have Aristotle's works to compare to Plato's works it is impossible to determine which one was greater.

Personally I always liked Plato more.

yeah, it does smash you in the face on how horrible the loss of the library was! imagine all that knowledge, there has to be so many things we do not know that the answers were most likley in that library, it really saddens me

• Like 1

...really? From your post, you seem awfully indebted to the visual and dramatic artists than Plato hustled out of town.

--Jaylemurph

jay there is something about you that absalutly amuses me everytime i read one of your replys, lol your like a hammer to the face but in a good way lol

before you correct me on something that im sure anoys you "you're"

Aristotle. No question.

Harte

Aristotle. No question.

Harte

no explaination as to why though?

Alphabetically. :w00t:

Harte

Plato. It has been said that all subsequent philosophy is a commentary on Plato and Aristotle was the first to comment. That said, I personally prefer Aristotle.

Straddle that fence!

Harte

alexandre the great is my fav conqueror so my opinion is obviously sided with that

hypatia!

ok, i know, not one of the choices. so in that case...

epicurus

what? i'm contrarian.

• Like 1

Diogenes of Sinope

jay there is something about you that absalutly amuses me everytime i read one of your replys, lol your like a hammer to the face but in a good way lol

before you correct me on something that im sure anoys you "you're"

Thank you (I think). My goal in life /is/ to have the same effect on the pysche as cheap vodka, so apparently I'm doing it right.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

This is not a contribution just an observation. When I watch TED Talks I can't help but think of ancient philosophers sharing their ideas in ancient times.

Not saying one is equal to the other I just can't help but relate the two platforms.

Plato was the absolute thinker, sometimes absolutely wrong, Aristotle was more the relative thinker, relatively often wrong :-)

But alas, the contradiction between the two thinkers is often exaggerated, Aristotle and Plato were not so different, as many think. (For example, you know, I state that Aristotle did not think Plato's Atlantis to be unreal, as many started to believe in the 19th century, see the book "Aristotle and Atlantis" ...).

... and to all of you who read Plato's Republic: Please read the Laws, too, because Plato changed his mind when growing older, and this direction of change is later followed by Aristotle in the same line. Aristotle is really the disciple of Plato, not only in theory.