Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
WillowWolf

What do you Think Happened; Dyatlov Pass

440 posts in this topic

(I hope I put this in the right forum.)

Ok so I was reading a bunch of articles on Dyatlov Pass recently and am getting more and more interested in theories on the subject.

So I gotta ask, what do you think happened at Dyatlov Pass.

(Here's a link if you don't know the story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident )

1 person likes this

Attacked by a hyrax

3 people like this

Frankly, nobody knows. I do know from years of outdoor activities that panic and inexperience kills and the harsher the conditions, the faster this can happen.

I agree with Brian Dunning, however, that whatever did happen can be explained with fairly simple and mundane explanations.

Here's his podcast (you can also read the transcript) if you're interested:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

<p>Avalanche or some kind of similar event followed by hypothermia which lead to paradoxical undressing well that my 2 cent at least p>

Edited by Cynical Sounds
1 person likes this

All of it sounds strange and bizarre.

" All members were experienced in long ski tours and mountain expeditions"

what would make them want to leave their tent so bad that they tore from the inside and left without any footwear?

3 people like this

All that sounds very good but how do you explain a missing tongue??

All of it sounds strange and bizarre.

" All members were experienced in long ski tours and mountain expeditions"

what would make them want to leave their tent so bad that they tore from the inside and left without any footwear?

Panic kills.

The Granite Mountain Hotshots were highly trained with years of experience - they were the elite of the elite.

1 person likes this

All that sounds very good but how do you explain a missing tongue??

Animal Predation or in all of the turmoil, she simply bit her tongue off.

Remember, their bodies were exposed for weeks before recovery.

1 person likes this

I don't completely disagree but wouldn't the bodies have been ravaged also? I remember something about an orangish tinge to the bodies or the surrounding areas too...

1 person likes this

Panic kills.

There must a be a reason for sudden panic then, right? Seems more than simple "panic."

The Granite Mountain Hotshots were highly trained with years of experience - they were the elite of the elite.

That statement I would agree on, although both are under different circumstances, both teams were highly skilled and trained. Just seems to me though there are too many details gone unexplained...

I would think they'd go more in detail as to which animal(s) would've come to scavenge the scene. And/or mentioned that she was in such a state of panic she bit her tongue off.

- Also I think this was in an episode of Ancient Aliens if I'm not mistaken!?

2 people like this

I don't completely disagree but wouldn't the bodies have been ravaged also? I remember something about an orangish tinge to the bodies or the surrounding areas too...

Orangish tinge is consistent with being left exposed to the elements in those types of conditions.

Perhaps the tongue was removed before the bodies completely froze? As I said, who knows.

1 person likes this

There must a be a reason for sudden panic then, right? Seems more than simple "panic."

That statement I would agree on, although both are under different circumstances, both teams were highly skilled and trained. Just seems to me though there are too many details gone unexplained...

I would think they'd go more in detail as to which animal(s) would've come to scavenge the scene. And/or mentioned that she was in such a state of panic she bit her tongue off.

Who are you referring to that would have said those things? The bodies were out there for weeks before they were discovered. The folks that discovered them didn't know anything more about what happened than we do.

Whether it is paranormal, or a mundane explanation, this is one of the most interesting unexplained cases i have read. I have been interested in it for a number of years and still find it intruiging.

1 person likes this

I'm not sure if this is the whole thing or part of it:

Just a couple of observations here.

1 - Wiki states: This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please help improve this article by introducing citations to additional sources. (June 2012)

2 - They found footprints leading from the tent, but the remaining bodies were found under 4 meters of snow, in a ravine. You trying to tell me that the footprints lasted from 1/28 to 2/26? There were absolutly no wind or snow in that time to obliterate the prints?

Not a mountaineering expert, but something sounds a wee bit off kilter here. Just saying.

6 people like this

Hmm, this case was always confusing and intriguing to me.

There are just so many details and observations that don't add up or are just strange.

I've also heard of bunch of variations on the reports. For example, apparently glowing orbs in the sky were reported in the area they were in, there was high levels of radiation, and on a nearby tree something was carved on it (it had to do with a snowman or something like that.)

Who knows what really happened?

Most likey a small meteor hit them.

The glowing balls in the sky were from an R-7 rocket launched that evening from Baikonur to the target Island of Novaya Zemlya. This tragetory was directly over the incident. People, please do not pay any attention to the English wiki, I and another poster have posted links to Russian sites with full information, like the R-7 rocket, the autopsy reports and geniune photos taken by the group, not photoshopped nonsense seen on this thread. This is real information, not fantasy. Precisely what happend is still a mystery, but all these affairs surrounding this are explained. A pity that in the English speaking world all this evidence is not known, or deliberately ignored as it does not fit with the fantasies......

The tracks (if found as reported) don't seem to make sense. Tracks lasting that long in the winter :/

Attacked by a hyrax

Whats a "hyrex?"

2 people like this

Whats a "hyrex?"

A hyrax is a small brown rodent looking thing related to the elephant.

1 person likes this

A hyrax is a small brown rodent looking thing related to the elephant.

Oh..you were joking...

1 person likes this

Whats a "hyrex?"

It's a running gag on this forum, we have a forumite who ascribes all mysterious phenomena to mystical hyraxes - who can change their form, turn invisible, fly and the like - we treat it as a joke, we're still not sure how the forumite treats it.

2 people like this

Interesting.

1 person likes this