Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheists meet God...

Jor-el

Imagine if you will a hypothetical situation, (please don't argue the possibility or impossibility of such an encounter)....

After having lived a full and plentiful life as an atheist, you die, and much to your surprise, there is God waiting to for you... :santa:

He looks at you and asks.... What have you got to say for yourself?

How would you answer?

• Like 1

Did you have nice holiday?

Seriously, that is what you would say?

"Where the hell have you been hiding?"

Maybe his response would be, I've been here all along but you didn't want to see me...

Seriously, that is what you would say?

What's wrong with being polite? When someone's been away for a while, it's only good manners to ask if they had a good time.

• Like 2

Maybe his response would be, I've been here all along but you didn't want to see me...

God wouldn't ask that because He would know that's not true.

God wouldn't ask that because He would know that's not true.

ok.... I'll leave it at that... ;)

Edited by Jor-el

One thing I find funny about most Atheists is that when comes the time in moments of distress the first thing they do reach for is 'God'

Oh God ... Let me get through this , I promise this, I promise that , I swear I won't this , I swear I'll be that ....

but when the critical moments pass they go back to their normal Atheistic selves as if nothing ever happened ... :lol:

`

• Like 1

I would remain silent. I lived my whole life in his/her/its silence.

• Like 4

One thing I find funny about most Atheists is that when comes the time in moments of distress the first thing they do reach for is 'God'

Oh God ... Let me get through this , I promise this, I promise that , I swear I won't this , I swear I'll be that ....

but when the critical moments pass they go back to their normal Atheistic selves as if nothing ever happened ... :lol:

`

That's the whole "No atheists in foxholes" argument. It's been shown not to be universal.

But, it's not really surprising. When faced with desperate situations people will often go through similar stages of thought to the grief process. Disbelief, anger, bargaining and finally acceptance. This is part of the bargaining stage. It's not really that surprising.

But the only thing it tells me, is that when faced with a desperate or life threatening situation, we're more likely to grasp at irrational straws in a last ditch attempt to save ourselves.

• Like 4

I'd say "What now, will you be the god so many people say you are, and send me to hell for simply having a mind of my own. Or will you be the god people hoped you are, enlightened to the fact that just because people do not bow to you, does not mean they are bad people."

• Like 8

ok.... I'll leave it at that... ;)

And if God told me "I've been here all along", I'd say "Well that explains it! Why didn't You visit Earth? There's a lot of people down there who desperately need Your help."

• Like 1

I just realised this guy twisted the Green Lantern oath to fit religion. Blasphemy.

That's the whole "No atheists in foxholes" argument. It's been shown not to be universal.

It isn't even true during World War 2 as Stephen Ambrose explained in his book "Citizen Soldiers". Atheists were rare but they were there in the foxholes with the praying guys who got killed regardless.

• Like 1

"Asked what he would say if God appeared to him after his death and demanded to know why he had failed to believe, the British philosopher and staunch evidentialist Bertrand Russell replied that he would say, 'Not enough evidence, God! Not enough evidence.'

• Like 2

But, it's not really surprising. When faced with desperate situations people will often go through similar stages of thought to the grief process. Disbelief, anger, bargaining and finally acceptance. This is part of the bargaining stage. It's not really that surprising.

But the only thing it tells me, is that when faced with a desperate or life threatening situation, we're more likely to grasp at irrational straws in a last ditch attempt to save ourselves.

Well for me the clarity is not so certain about the conclusions regarding the irrationality of the individuals concerned as not all Atheists are by choice or even of sound of mind in some cases, god is not a menu choice and its not an equation one can prove nor negate by default with logic, the behavior of the pious or religious should not be the definition of god nor god be held responsible for the bad behaviors of humankind ...

Some hold the position of that if god is such and such then such and such proves god doesn't exist or even worse god is bad and is useless, that makes one greater or is held to be of a higher status than god which in effect and by default proves the fallacy of the logical conclusions.

God is not for understanding ... God is for accepting, if one does not accept GOd it does not mean the nonexistence of GOd,

mankind's failure is mankind's own and due to no one not even a devil as is mankind's own short comings.

God does not fail ... Devil never succeeds ... it is all due to mankind ... and that is all mankind has to answer for ... not to judge whether GOd did a good job or not,

So what is the point of a GOd ?

NOthing really ... at least not within the jurisprudence of a single man woman or child ... in terms of eternity and all ... God's plan goes on as it ever had since the point of beginning ... whether mankind is along for the ride and how long is entirely up to mankind ...

~

• Like 1

The god some of you people describe is no better than the worst dictators in human history. A man wou think's it's his right to have people bow to him. To kneel before him and give him their unconditional faith. If you don't give him love and respect, you will be condemned to a life of servitude in hell. He will also condemn Homosexuals and sinners. Let's not forget what sins are, Lust (wanting to be with the person you love, aka your wife. Even religious people have families.), Greed (wanting something), Pride (you are never proud of your family or accomplishments) need I go on?, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth, Wrath.

Those seven 'sins' as people call them are the foundation of the Human condition. You hate gays? Guess what sin that is....Wrath.

The so called seven sins that will condemn you to hell describe every single human being with a heart & brain and no matter how hard you want or try to deny it. You cannot deny that you are human and everyone feel's these fundamental feelings.

These "seven" deadly sins are emotions that Make us Human

If your so called "god" says I am going to go to hell because I don't believe in him, I support homosexuality and I feel every one of those emotions on a daily basis. How is that any different to a Dictator. That sounds awefully like Hitler to me. A man who wanted a pure race in his vision and condemned anyone who didn't worship him or fit his view of a perfect being to death camps.

I am Agnostic and a science person. I don't believe god made the earth in seven days but think there could be some higher plane of existence. If god is real, I would hope he is far more enlightened then his human worshippers make him out to be.

Edited by krypter3
  • Like 2

I've seen everyone else give loaded and less than realistic answers to the OP question, so putting myself in that hypothetical situation honestly of an Atheist meeting his or her god, my question would be "who are you?". Something I would undoubtedly long to know. You are a god type, yes. But who are you?

I'm sure the conversation could go to quite interesting places from this starting point.

• Like 3

If your so called "god" says I am going to go to hell because I don't believe in him, I support homosexuality and I feel every one of those emotions on a daily basis. How is that any different to a Dictator. That sounds awefully like Hitler to me. A man who wanted a pure race in his vision and condemned anyone who didn't worship him or fit his view of a perfect being to death camps.

That's fine. It's clear you don't believe in some religions that talk about a God. Why then must you believe the aspect of their religion when they tout 'God' as a perfect, holiest of good being?

Is that really obligatory?

Edited by _Only

I'm sensing some condescension with this topic.

I am a Pagan, I got more Gods. My Gods would beat up your God and toss him the lake of fire, then my Gods and I would go have a glass of mead, maybe do some drumming.

• Like 2

Imagine if you will a hypothetical situation, (please don't argue the possibility or impossibility of such an encounter)....

After having lived a full and plentiful life as an atheist, you die, and much to your surprise, there is God waiting to for you... :santa:

He looks at you and asks.... What have you got to say for yourself?

How would you answer?

Thank you for making me so goddamn fabulous! :w00t:

Edited by ChloeB
  • Like 2

I've seen everyone else give loaded and less than realistic answers to the OP question, so putting myself in that hypothetical situation honestly of an Atheist meeting his or her god, my question would be "who are you?". Something I would undoubtedly long to know. You are a god type, yes. But who are you?

I'm sure the conversation could go to quite interesting places from this starting point.

*in my ominous and commanding James Earl Jones voice* "Your first mistake my son is to assume I'm a who at all." Okay, next let's ask him what are you, where are you, when are you, and how are you? And not how like, "oh I'm fine, thanks for asking" but how did you come to be?

I am a Pagan, I got more Gods. My Gods would beat up your God and toss him the lake of fire, then my Gods and I would go have a glass of mead, maybe do some drumming.

I'll be on your team. I'm sure I'll tick their god off with my questions. And I already have a drum, though I play it terribly, hopefully you have tolerant Gods, lol.