Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Phobos Passing Overhead

Waspie_Dwarf

Phobos Passing Overhead

This movie clip taken by NASA's Mars rover Curiosity shows Mars' largest moon, Phobos, passing overhead the rover shortly after sunset.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

• Like 2

Whats a phobo?

Whats a phobo?

Phobo's is the 2nd moon of Mars, the other is Demios..

• Like 1

Phobo's is the 2nd moon of Mars, the other is Demios..

Phobos is generally (and officially) regarded as Mars I, with Deimos being Mars II hence Deimos is the second moon of Mars. Phobos is both larger and closer to Mars than Deimos.

In terms of discovery Deimos was discovered six days before Phobos (August 12th and August 18th 1877 respectively) and so in this respect Phobos could be considered the second moon.

• Like 1

Phobos is generally (and officially) regarded as Mars I, with Deimos being Mars II hence Deimos is the second moon of Mars. Phobos is both larger and closer to Mars than Deimos.

In terms of discovery Deimos was discovered six days before Phobos (August 12th and August 18th 1877 respectively) and so in this respect Phobos could be considered the second moon.

Thanks.. Didn't know that..

Somehow though, I imagined them looking bigger in the sky.. The video was a little disappointing, but cool to see..

Curse the old 1970's Sci-fi flicks of Phobos appearing bigger than the moon. :lol: