Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Octopus found at the top of UK Mountain

skookum

The body of an octopus has been found during a litter pick near the top of England's highest mountain.

Dave Ascough, who leads mountain walks, found the 20cm (8in) cephalopod mollusc 10m (33ft) from the top of Scafell Pike in Cumbria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...umbria-23144255

Edited by skookum
  • Like 2

The illegal tree octopus trade in getting out of hand. These endangered critters are being taken out of their natural habit of the Pacific Northwest and smuggled into other countries for the sick pleasure of the fashion industry.

Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus.

• Like 4

i found one in my freezer, and i have to say it was very delicious with potatoes and tomato-star anis-sauce....

Nothing new . Last time up there I came across a dead elephant . I just walked round it . No problem .

• Like 2

Very likely a bird did take it there, but what is shocking is this:

Volunteers removed 10 bags of rubbish from the mountain during the pick

What is wrong with people? Anyone caught dropping rubbish should be banned from natural spaces, send them back to their ghettos!

There were about 15 teenagers the other day in the park "hanging out', when they left the place was littered with rubbish, this is our next generation, their parents should be frogged marched to the area and made to pick up the rubbish in front of their kids, show an example on how its done for a change.

A little bit of respect for nature is all what is called for, is that really too much to ask in a day and age when humans are polluting everything in their path?

• Like 6

Why does everyone always overlook the obvious?

Scafell Pike is obviously the site of a transdimensional vortex, the other end of which lies in an oceanic octopus den.

What is wrong with people? Anyone caught dropping rubbish should be banned from natural spaces, send them back to their ghettos!

There were about 15 teenagers the other day in the park "hanging out', when they left the place was littered with rubbish, this is our next generation, their parents should be frogged marched to the area and made to pick up the rubbish in front of their kids, show an example on how its done for a change.

A little bit of respect for nature is all what is called for, is that really too much to ask in a day and age when humans are polluting everything in their path?

Absolutely!

Scafell Pike is obviously the site of a transdimensional vortex, the other end of which lies in an oceanic octopus den.

Why not! Why should Bermuda have all the fun!

No, your government should be flogged for making it so that no one cares what they do as long as they get their government check.

• Like 1

Or england was recently under the ocean, all the way to the top. :-) : :-) :-)

No, your government should be flogged for making it so that no one cares what they do as long as they get their government check.

We are not a communist country, so people have to be held accountable too for their actions.

• Like 1

He said: "My first reaction was that someone might have carried it up there, but it's quite possible a bird could have brought it up there."

Yes, but what bird would do that?

A bird of prey.

• Like 2

How bizarre!!!

How would a bird capture an octopus? They don't swim out in the open, they hide in rocks in the ocean. A bird wouldn't be able to dive and search and bring an octopus up, they don't go quietly! lol

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 1

How bizarre!!!

How would a bird capture an octopus? They don't swim out in the open, they hide in rocks in the ocean. A bird wouldn't be able to dive and search and bring an octopus up, they don't go quietly! lol

There are some birds that can dive up to ten feet. Not counting pengins. I don't know if any of them live in england. Of course the octo. could been in shallower water. But a bird would travel in a straight line between nest and ocean.

How bizarre!!!

A sick/injured/dead one would float about on the surface? Easy pickings for a bird of prey I would think.

Obviously a swallow. An African swallow, but not a European, of course..

• Like 5

Well, I was walking with a GF in some woods once foraging for stuff, wild berries, fruits etc, and we came across a frozen salmon, no kidding. we just looked at each other with open mouths for while trying to work out how the heck it got there. We were not on a main path either. It had been gutted, and there was newspaper in the open belly, but folded carefully rather than scrunched up, and it too was frozen in place

It was most strange and hadnt melted so couldn't have been there long. And no it wasn't packaged, just a whole salmon...frozen!!

I thought later on to go back there and see what was in the paper, if anything, but I never did.

Still a fair old flight from the ocean in distance and height. Then the silly begger just dumped it after all that effort.

Heh, I wasn't shocked about the amount of garbage. A cemetery and park area I've helped clean up is less than half a football field in size, and we hauled out 10 bags of garbage more than once a year. Litterbugs are everywhere :(

I was a little surprised to think a bird of prey would drop it's food and not come back for it, if a bird of prey is how the octopus got there.

• Like 1

If there are no serious people on here disguising science I believe the rains took it thier like frogs or the occasional fish!

• Like 1

def bird of prey