Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where did the name - America come from?

Beckys_Mom

Yea -- that is a problem. Why do countries in their "official" names have to be so long. Why can't it be, "New Zealand" rather than "the Commonwealth of New Zealand" (or whatever it really is). Some countries regally get peculiar and bizarre that way, like "Cote d'Ivoire" or "The People's Republic of Vietnam." "Britain" should surely be enough instead of, "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

The US is a particular problem since Canada and Mexico and Brazil and so on are all "America." I vote for "Yankeeland."

You have it slightly wrong. The british use the long name because it included more than england. England is just england. Britain includes weells and scoutland. Great britian in cludes northern ireland. The british empire includes under british rule. The british commonwealth is designed to give the appearnce of freedom from the empire. Great britian can't feed itself hence the commonwealth

The Divided States of America

... with incapable politicians unable to compromise.

You have it slightly wrong. The british use the long name because it included more than england. England is just england. Britain includes weells and scoutland. Great britian in cludes northern ireland. The british empire includes under british rule. The british commonwealth is designed to give the appearnce of freedom from the empire. Great britian can't feed itself hence the commonwealth

I'm sorry but I don't have it wrong, not even slightly, but you certainly have it wrong in thinking the purpose of the commonwealth is to feed Britain. There are two major islands, Ireland and Great Britain, that make up the "British Isles," along with a bunch of smaller islands. I know why it was called the UK, my point was that nation names don't have to be so pretentious.

... with incapable politicians unable to compromise.

In order to compromise both sides have to be willing. The democrats aren't willing to do so. Reid won't let any republican bills or amendments to come up to a vote. The president is side stepping the congress, very much against the constitution. The supreme court wants to look good to the people. No one is following the constitution, although the republicans are closer than anyone else.

I'm sorry but I don't have it wrong, not even slightly, but you certainly have it wrong in thinking the purpose of the commonwealth is to feed Britain. There are two major islands, Ireland and Great Britain, that make up the "British Isles," along with a bunch of smaller islands. I know why it was called the UK, my point was that nation names don't have to be so pretentious.

Except for the bitish. And you are very wrong on england being able to feed itself. England is nij bigger than delawer in size. I don't know howmany millions live there.

Except for the bitish. And you are very wrong on england being able to feed itself. England is nij bigger than delawer in size. I don't know howmany millions live there.

Um, England is a lot bigger than Delaware. Delaware is 2,491 square miles, England is 50,346 square miles.

Dammit I never said England is able to feed itself; I wouldn't know. What I did say was that the Commonwealth was not created for that purpose.

My hubby got a message from face book, an alert saying that someone from Delaware was trying to access his account... They noticed the IP's differ in such a short space of time... I sat thinking, why? I mean, he hasn't got anything worth taking on his account, and he doesn't post up any personal details... I never do either...

• Like 1

My hubby got a message from face book, an alert saying that someone from Delaware was trying to access his account... They noticed the IP's differ in such a short space of time... I sat thinking, why? I mean, he hasn't got anything worth taking on his account, and he doesn't post up any personal details... I never do either...

I had that happen twice, and my wife also. And she logs into facebook maybe once every 3 months.....

• Like 2

But, you could read this :

http://www.uhmc.suny...ery/broome.html

I have just read it and found it most interesting.... More so these points in the same article....

In the book, the author acknowledges that while Vespucci played an integral role in the naming of America, he never actually took credit for the name for himself.

However, in 1507 map-maker Martin Waldseemuller prepared a world map almost entirely from Vespucci’s maps.

In this map, the word ‘America’ is written across South America. In later editions of the map, Waldseemuller tried to change the name to ‘Terra Incognita’, or ‘Unknown Land.’

So if the author is correct and Vespucci never claimed that he named America, where did he get the word ‘America’ from?

According to Broome the answer is simple – English fishermen visited Newfoundland long before Christopher Columbus or John Cabot crossed the Atlantic.

“Bristol merchants bought salt cod in Iceland until the King of Denmark stopped the trade in 1475,” he said.

“In 1479, four Bristol merchants received a royal charter to find another source of fish and trade.

“Not until 1960 did someone find bills of trading records indicating that Richard Amerike was involved in this business. Records show that in 1481, Amerike shipped a load of salt (for salting fish) to these men in Newfoundland and I believe the Bristol sailors named the area after the Bristol merchant they worked for – Richard Amerike.”

Read more in here, if anyone else is interested - http://www.uhmc.suny...ery/broome.html

There's a little more to that..It was very good... I am not saying this piece of history is right or wrong, for I am not in any position to do that, I just found it interesting....Thanks for sharing..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Not sure if anyone saw this, coincidently, it came out yesterday.......

Who coined 'United States of America'? Mystery might have intriguing answer

Historians have long tried to pinpoint exactly when the name 'United States of America' was first used and by whom. A new find suggests the man might have been George Washington himself.

Link : http://news.yahoo.com/coined-united-states-america-mystery-might-intriguing-answer-181425206.html

• Like 2

I had that happen twice, and my wife also. And she logs into facebook maybe once every 3 months.....

That is why I would never post my personal details on line...I took my date of birth and other details off there...I will not chance it..

When my brother first joined Face book, he was stupid with his own details.. He posted up, his full address, tel number, date of birth, school, his mobile phone number, and the name of his bank...wtf?..Everything. I am surprised he didn't give them the color of boxers he was wearing that day lol...

I had to call him and I encouraged him to remove his personal details...

• Like 2

That is why I would never post my personal details on line...I took my date of birth and other details off there...I will not chance it..

When my brother first joined Face book, he was stupid with his own details.. He posted up, his full address, tel number, date of birth, school, his mobile phone number, and the name of his bank...wtf?..Everything. I am surprised he didn't give them the color of boxers he was wearing that day lol...

I had to call him and I encouraged him to remove his personal details...

And that is the bottom line: All you need is a full name, the corresponding e-mail address and a webcrawler. After about 24 hours you know more about that person than his mother.

Edit: sorry for adding to the derailment...

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

Nah....when the Vikings stepped ashore their chief shouted,I AM ERIK Ah...!...Oh well never mind.

• Like 3

And that is the bottom line: All you need is a full name, the corresponding e-mail address and a webcrawler. After about 24 hours you know more about that person than his mother.

Edit: sorry for adding to the derailment...

Absolutely..Its best to keep your personal details safe from the internet...

• Like 1

Absolutely..Its best to keep your personal details safe from the internet...

Facebook is the Devil....

Quit Facebook?

Is that what I’m getting at?

Well, if Facebook makes us feel more anxious than alive.

If Facebook is a time-suck.

If Facebook is feeding our Obsessive Comparison Disorders with Miracle-Gro.

If Facebook is like holding that red plastic cup, your stomach beginning to churn as you wonder how the heck you ended up here again.

Well, then maybe it’s time we stop going.

Maybe at 9:17 pm when we feel the lure of human interaction, we should call a friend instead.

Maybe instead of spending so much time creating our Facebook PR spins to make our lives look virtually appealing, we should spend more time, you know, actually creating our lives.

• Like 3

A good few of you lovely people ( yes I am in a good mood today, so I am being nice to everyone lol )

You have told me that for you, the name America came from - Amerigo Vespucci.. Is it because of the 1st name? OR were there other reasons? ..Which I bet there are..There's a story behind everything..

Can any of you post up some more info on this ? It would be greatly appreciated... I have already read through one of Sakari's web links, it was pretty good.. Any more out there would be a plus...Cheers.

Edited by Beckys_Mom

A good few of you lovely people ( yes I am in a good mood today, so I am being nice to everyone lol )

You have told me that for you, the name America came from - Amerigo Vespucci.. Is it because of the 1st name? OR were there other reasons? ..Which I bet there are..There's a story behind everything..

Can any of you post up some more info on this ? It would be greatly appreciated... I have already read through one of Sakari's web links, it was pretty good.. Any more out there would be a plus...Cheers.

Did you see my latest post on that?....George Washington?

It was released yesterday.

• Like 1

(Newser) – It makes sense that the father of our country would have named it, too—and new evidence suggests that may just be the case. History hasn't quite settled on who coined the term "the United States of America," though in 1998, experts announced that it was Thomas Jefferson (he wrote those words in a rough draft of the Declaration of Independence around June 11, 1776). But a letter written by one of George Washington's top military aides suggests otherwise. The letter from Stephen Moylan to Col. Joseph Reed, dated Jan. 2, 1776, discusses bringing the "full and ample powers from the United States of America" to Europe in search of backing for the revolution.

Days earlier, Moylan had used the phrase "United Colonies" in a document—but that was before the Continental Army learned of an inflammatory speech King George III gave against the colonies, and before the first American flag was unveiled. Washington may well have used the term around that time, and even if he didn't initially utter the phrase himself, Moylan's voice was deeply linked to that of his boss, the Christian Science Monitor notes. It writes, "Whether Washington, Moylan, or even Reed should be credited is somewhat beside the point. In many matters, all three spoke with one voice—the voice of the commander-in-chief of what would become the United States of America."

• Like 2

Dammit I never said England is able to feed itself; I wouldn't know. What I did say was that the Commonwealth was not created for that purpose.

I did not say the commonwealth was created to feed england. I said it was created to give the colonies a bit of assumed freedom from the crown. Although, the crown appoints the leader of the nation involved. I also stated england needed to do this becausethey couldn't feed themselves. Ie the empire died so england could feed its population.

I did not say the commonwealth was created to feed england. I said it was created to give the colonies a bit of assumed freedom from the crown. Although, the crown appoints the leader of the nation involved. I also stated england needed to do this becausethey couldn't feed themselves. Ie the empire died so england could feed its population.

England? what? It is United Kingdom or Great Britain, not England. The Crown does not appoint a leader, they support a local one, ie like the Americans do now or the Soviets. Your're foreign history is bad

who has been telling you all this B.S...?and this post is about America so why have you brought up England ?
  • Like 1

Amerigo Vespucci is certainly what my text books taught US.

It's what I learned in school too.

It's what I learned in school too.

I think for all intensive purposes this case is closed.