Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Melba Ketchum Bigfoot DNA claims revisited

Saru

A reporter for the Houston Chronicle has taken a closer look at Ketchum's Bigfoot DNA test results.

Back in February I savaged the release of a research paper that claimed to prove the existence of Bigfoot by providing a DNA sequence from the species. The paper contained details of DNA from the “Sasquatch genomes,” which the authors characterized as novel and non-human.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I'd say if it hadn't happened already, Ketchum's credibility has finally crashed and burned. As I suspected, she really doesn't know what she's talking about. Her only "out" is that a possum is non-human. :w00t:

cormac

• Like 1

I'd say if it hadn't happened already, Ketchum's credibility has finally crashed and burned. As I suspected, she really doesn't know what she's talking about. Her only "out" is that a possum is non-human. :w00t:

cormac

Unfortunate but I believe she's not finished and that with her next wild claim there will be plenty of B****s to jump on board.

I'm just happy this one was conclusively proven to be false rather than being forgotten.

Edit: Haha I didn't write anything explicit 'B****s' was me typing B-F-'rs (minus the -'s)

Edited by Timonthy

So Bigfoot is a giant Opossum? Why don't they play dead when spooked then? ;)

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Another bigfoot scam bites the dust. Is anyone really surprised?

All she proved is that she is both an incompetent scientist, and scammer.

• Like 2

And it spreads so far down the line...it is not just DNA samples that fell from the sky for her: Opossum Sierra Kills, opossum habituation sites, feeding opossum off Tupperware, her sleeping Bf vid, her employees, those who've supported her she's named, etc.

She shall resurrect ad nauseum like Dyer with some more DNA, the real stuff, not "the contaminated samples" sent to the geneticist. "He wouldn't name his geneticist"

It never ends...

Edited by QuiteContrary

Not really surprised by this. I can understand that the geneticist wants to remain anonymous for the reasons given, but I think he should at least release his own conclusions, as apparently Ketchum has already fired back saying she didn't give the complete sample data. Also, I think the actual DNA samples should be re-examined to drive the final nail into Ketchums career. But who am I kidding right. :w00t:

"the DNA was actually little more than that of an opossum mixed together with a few other species -"

Opossum don't interbreed with other species, so why would they find that outcome? Bit weird to me.

"the DNA was actually little more than that of an opossum mixed together with a few other species -"

Opossum don't interbreed with other species, so why would they find that outcome? Bit weird to me.

Contamination.

• Like 1

LOL someone really has the last name of Ketchum?

WOW! Wouldn't life be boring without Aliens, Bigfoots, Nessie and other mystery critters to read about. Keep it coming.

WOW! Wouldn't life be boring without Aliens, Bigfoots, Nessie and other mystery critters to read about. Keep it coming.

Imagine if everyone was amazed by our world and how extraordinary it is...

• Like 2

It's sad that folks need the above BS to keep them from being bored with the real world. When is the last time you took a look at what is really out there?

Imagine if everyone was amazed by our world and how extraordinary it is...

Exactly Timonthy. :tu: :tu: :tu:

Edited by evancj

It's sad that folks need the above BS to keep them from being bored with the real world. When is the last time you took a look at what is really out there?

Exactly Timonthy. :tu: :tu: :tu:

I was just being sarcastic. Apparently you can't read people. I've noticed though that even if people think these articles are a bunch of baloney,

They are drawn to read them anyway. And one has to ask themselves why read it if you don't believe it?

Gee I don't know. I went fishing today in my kayak and spent a half hour watching three mating pairs of Great Blue Herons cavorting around their massive nests.

Much cooler than any bigfoot BS.

I was just being sarcastic. Apparently you can't read people.

I can read people just fine...in person. I apologize, I didn't mean to offend. I don't know you well enough to realize you were being sarcastic, and sarcasm doesn't always translate well is this type of setting.

You might be surprised how many times believers have made that same statement, and were serious.

I've noticed though that even if people think these articles are a bunch of baloney,

They are drawn to read them anyway. And one has to ask themselves why read it if you don't believe it?

I read because I find this subject fascinating. I find it incredible that people can be repeatedly strung along, for years at a time with these obvious shady shenanigans.

Why did you read it?

Edited by evancj

Gee I don't know. I went fishing today in my kayak and spent a half hour watching three mating pairs of Great Blue Herons cavorting around their massive nests.

Much cooler than any bigfoot BS.

• 3 weeks later...

DNA samples can be contaminated by other DNA if not collected properly or left open to the elements.

The summary of the article (which taught me more about DNA than I had ever known) is that there are well-known signs that your DNA sample is contaminated or corrupted and that the results will be inconclusive or misleading. Ketchum saw these signs and concluded instead that the sample was incredibly unique and was providing astonishing information. She then had to come up with implausible explanations for this astonishing information. One was that Bigfoot bred with Europeans and Africans and then walked to North America.

The strangest thing in the article had nothing to with the DNA. Ketchem claimed that there's a place where people regularly hang out with the Sasquatches and she's been there and seen them. If that's true, why is she attempting to prove their existence with a weak DNA sample when she can just take a video camera the next time she goes there?

The summary of the article (which taught me more about DNA than I had ever known) is that there are well-known signs that your DNA sample is contaminated or corrupted and that the results will be inconclusive or misleading. Ketchum saw these signs and concluded instead that the sample was incredibly unique and was providing astonishing information. She then had to come up with implausible explanations for this astonishing information. One was that Bigfoot bred with Europeans and Africans and then walked to North America.

The strangest thing in the article had nothing to with the DNA. Ketchem claimed that there's a place where people regularly hang out with the Sasquatches and she's been there and seen them. If that's true, why is she attempting to prove their existence with a weak DNA sample when she can just take a video camera the next time she goes there?

You've learned well than. Congrats.

Better question IMO is why didn't she sedate one of these alleged Sasquatches long enough to get a blood sample from them directly THEN have it tested? Would have saved alot of time and BS.

cormac

She is credited with a video: "Metilda the sleeping sasquatch"

I've always asked why not drug the food they are feeding them on the Tupperwear at the habituation sites where they got their DNA for her tests. Or, invite other scientists along to watch.

Dr. Todd Disotell's (anthropologist at NYU) response to the latest DNA evidence:

"They used some of the latest cutting edge science....those are real technologies and potentially real data.... They don't show any of the raw data. They just sort of tell their results. Their conclusions do not logically follow from the data. Their conclusions are invalid...I couldn't follow three quarters of that paper."

Edited by QuiteContrary

Better question IMO is why didn't she sedate one of these alleged Sasquatches long enough to get a blood sample from them directly THEN have it tested? Would have saved alot of time and BS.

She speaks of these alleged interactions with the Bigfoot "clan" as being a special trust being them and the humans. Doing something like this would break this beautiful bond and hurt their feelings.

I'm sure they have to take a dump once in a while. When that happens you have a shovel full of free evidence full of not just Bigfoot DNA but also information about what Bigfoot eats and where it goes. But I'm taking her stories too seriously.