Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Melba Ketchum Bigfoot DNA claims revisited

Saru

She speaks of these alleged interactions with the Bigfoot "clan" as being a special trust being them and the humans. Doing something like this would break this beautiful bond and hurt their feelings.

I'm sure they have to take a dump once in a while. When that happens you have a shovel full of free evidence full of not just Bigfoot DNA but also information about what Bigfoot eats and where it goes. But I'm taking her stories too seriously.

If this were her argument for not acquiring adequate DNA samples I'd say it's a convenient cop-out. She wouldn't have to use a tranquilizer dart but could just as easily put something in a food offering to knock one or more out or, in the least, make them groggy enough to be manageable. The last part assumes they're more like humans than animals. A rather large assumption since we only have her word she's been in close contact with them and yet her DNA results can only validate a mixture of opossum and other animals. Her problem is apparently that she can't see the forest for the trees.

cormac

She never said she didn't have adequate DNA. She had over one hundred samples from all over the world, most from the Erickson Project.

EDIT to change "100's" to over "one hundred"

Edited by QuiteContrary

She never said she didn't have adequate DNA. She had "100's of samples" from all over the world, most from the Erickson Project.

And yet, the best results she can show belong to a 'possum. That's not exactly what I'd call "adequate" by any means.

cormac

And yet, the best results she can show belong to a 'possum. That's not exactly what I'd call "adequate" by any means.

cormac

Agree! I'm not supporting her claims just stating them.

The whole study's results are a joke, imo. She actually never had any Bigfoot DNA samples, let alone adequate samples or a hundred samples or Bf DNA collected off Tupperware, etc.

She's a fruitcake in a lab coat and an insult to bigfootery...and that's hard to do.

It's impossible to argue over anything she claims about her DNA study since her DNA samples are based on lies to begin with and according to Dr. Todd Disotell and others, who have read her paper, her study's conclusions are faulty, to put it mildly.

**And I changed my post: she said she had "over 100 samples" NOT "hundreds". I'm looking for her quote, haven't found it yet, not that it would matter,

Edited by QuiteContrary

Agree! I'm not supporting her claims. The whole study's results are a joke, imo. She actually never had any Bigfoot DNA samples, let alone adequate samples or a hundred samples or DNA collected off Tupperware, etc.

And I changed my post: she said she had over 100 samples NOT "hundreds". I'm looking for her quote, haven't found it yet.

Agreed. I had it pegged pretty much that way from the start. Sadly at this point I think she's turned her reputation into a joke as well. That she won't be able to turn around easily, if ever.

cormac

Agreed. I had it pegged pretty much that way from the start. Sadly at this point I think she's turned her reputation into a joke as well. That she won't be able to turn around easily, if ever.

cormac

It's the Lazarus Complex...in true Bigfoot fashion...she will be back...like the others....with more evidence and claims.

I don't think she is through milking her current study for all it's worth yet, no matter how much of an incompetent bigfoot researcher she's proven herself to be.

If this were her argument for not acquiring adequate DNA samples I'd say it's a convenient cop-out. She wouldn't have to use a tranquilizer dart but could just as easily put something in a food offering to knock one or more out or, in the least, make them groggy enough to be manageable.

She talks about them as if they were nearly human, so that would be like giving them a date rape drug without their permission. I might be exaggerating a little but these people who she claims regularly interact with the local Bigfoot population are like astronauts to her and these supposed interactions they have are clearly precious to her. She has even given these people a special name: habituators. Is it any surprise this DNA experiment was a complete failure with her in charge?

The article also showed me that there's a lot about genetics that I don't know about. I didn't know what mitochondrial DNA was (we have two kinds of DNA?) or that our cells have a second genome or anything about the probability of recombination (I thought that happened every time!). I tried to learn about where mitochondria come from but still haven't figured out if they multiply independently after a cell divides or whether they are part of normal cell division.

http://www.amazon.co...bituation sites

Here's another habituator. Unusual cat, imo. He had audio of his interactions with bigfoot, I listened to some years back. He has a lot to say about habituation and his interactions with Bf. Just Google his name

Edited by QuiteContrary

You could say our cells have two types of DNA, or really two sources of DNA. Our cells have a nucleus which contains our genome DNA or nuclear DNA, the DNA that codes for you, and then mitochondria have their own DNA (usually called mtDNA). Mitochondria can reproduce independently from the mother cell and often do so to meet the energy requirements of the cell, as that is their function, the production of ATP, our cellular energy currency. During the normal cell cycle, there is a regulation that ensures each daughter cell gets at least one mitochondrion, and that one can reproduce independently as needed. As the energy requirements of the cell fluctuates, so does the number of mitochondria.

If you are wondering as to the origin of mitochondria in your cells, there are two hypotheses, one is that they were bacterial like organisms that become symbiotic with our ancestral cells, the other is that they somehow budded off from our nuclear genome.

Most species inherit their mitochondria from only their mother, and so mtDNA is useful for determining maternal ancestry. Your mitochondria are from your mother, hers from her mother, and so forth. Your nuclear DNA is a combination of your father's and mother's.

• Like 1

You could say our cells have two types of DNA, or really two sources of DNA. Our cells have a nucleus which contains our genome DNA or nuclear DNA, the DNA that codes for you, and then mitochondria have their own DNA (usually called mtDNA). Mitochondria can reproduce independently from the mother cell and often do so to meet the energy requirements of the cell, as that is their function, the production of ATP, our cellular energy currency. During the normal cell cycle, there is a regulation that ensures each daughter cell gets at least one mitochondrion, and that one can reproduce independently as needed. As the energy requirements of the cell fluctuates, so does the number of mitochondria.

If you are wondering as to the origin of mitochondria in your cells, there are two hypotheses, one is that they were bacterial like organisms that become symbiotic with our ancestral cells, the other is that they somehow budded off from our nuclear genome.

Most species inherit their mitochondria from only their mother, and so mtDNA is useful for determining maternal ancestry. Your mitochondria are from your mother, hers from her mother, and so forth. Your nuclear DNA is a combination of your father's and mother's.

Better make that three since you're leaving out Y Chromosome DNA which, as opposed to mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), passes down the paternal line from father to son.

cormac

I don't know if this would greatly affect her reputation in the bigfoot community. I have a couple of bigfoot hunters in my Freethinker group and they just see this as part of a conspiracy against her. The sheeple word has been used. Believers will believe regardless, and stuff like this will simply enforce their idea that they are fighting forbthe Truth.

Better make that three since you're leaving out Y Chromosome DNA which, as opposed to mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), passes down the paternal line from father to son.

cormac

The sex chromosomes are nuclear DNA as they are within the cell nucleus, which as I said is a combination of mother's and father's DNA. The Y chromosome can determine paternal ancestry, as could the X chromosome.

I don't know if this would greatly affect her reputation in the bigfoot community. I have a couple of bigfoot hunters in my Freethinker group and they just see this as part of a conspiracy against her. The sheeple word has been used. Believers will believe regardless, and stuff like this will simply enforce their idea that they are fighting forbthe Truth.

You're probably right concerning the bigfoot community. In the science fields however she might as well have been playing russian roulette with all chambers loaded.

cormac

You're probably right concerning the bigfoot community. In the science fields however she might as well have been playing russian roulette with all chambers loaded.

cormac

True, but it isn't like she had much cred there to begin with. She is sold to the people who already believe her.

The sex chromosomes are nuclear DNA as they are within the cell nucleus, which as I said is a combination of mother's and father's DNA. The Y chromosome can determine paternal ancestry, as could the X chromosome.

Nuclear DNA (actually Autosomal DNA) is not the same thing as Y Chromosome DNA nor mitochondrial DNA nor even X Chromosome DNA. So really there are 4 types but for the purposes of genetics testing the first three are the ones used for testing.

cormac

Nuclear DNA (actually Autosomal DNA) is not the same thing as Y Chromosome DNA nor mitochondrial DNA nor even X Chromosome DNA. So really there are 4 types but for the purposes of genetics testing the first three are the ones used for testing.

cormac

Sure, we could differentiate by the autosomes and the two sex chromosomes and the mtDNA. Each can have gene markers that could be used to trace parental lineage.

Sure, we could differentiate by the autosomes and the two sex chromosomes and the mtDNA. Each can have gene markers that could be used to trace parental lineage.

We don't have to differentiate between the above since businesses such as FamilyTreeDNA.com already do and, to date AFAIK, X Chromosome DNA results are insufficient on their own to be used for genealogical purposes as opposed to the other types.

cormac

Who cares if it's a possum! Ketchum is hothothot! :tu:

I have to say, Melba seems like a deeply disturbed woman in search of her proverbial fifteen minutes of fame.

• Like 3

So I have things reproducing semi-independently in my cells kind of like viruses except they help the cells instead of wrecking them. And they can't be called life because they couldn't survive outside the cells.

That's amazing.

Who cares if it's a possum! Ketchum is hothothot! :tu:

Eww, but whatever floats your boat. I guess bigfoot agrees with you, apparently at one point one took advantage of her at her habituation site.

• 4 weeks later...

Feel kinda sorry for her. No one will ever take her seriously again. What was she thinking when she put out that garbage?

Feel kinda sorry for her. No one will ever take her seriously again. What was she thinking when she put out that garbage?

There's been a binful from her.

Eww, but whatever floats your boat. I guess bigfoot agrees with you, apparently at one point one took advantage of her at her habituation site.

post-26642-0-98744300-1378059150_thumb.j