Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Overfilling kettles wastes £68m a year

Commander CMG

I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided on posting it in our Environment forum, it is after all an Energy Saving Trust story.

Three-quarters of British households overfill their kettles, wasting a total of £68m each year, an Energy Saving Trust (EST) report has suggested.

The study of 86,000 households also found the average shower lasted seven-and-a-half minutes. A minute less and £215m would be saved, the EST said.

Washing clothes at 30C and filling kettles to the required amount were among ways to save money, it added.

It said people must not think they were "powerless to control our water use".

arrow3.gifView: Read more

How the heck can they know this about the kettles and how do they come to this 68m figure without measuring the amount of water on every single kettle?

86,000 households? no one asked me!

So out of those 86,000 who showered, they based it on an average....so if someone has a messy job and needs to shower everyday, basically they are ruining it for the rest of us? balls, balls and more survey balls!

lets cut to the chase on this, the water boards can not keep up with demands for clean water so have paid someone to do a "survey" and come out with this as a pre warning to the next stage, which will be everyone paying higher prices for their water!

• Like 1

No one asked me, funny how I am not involved in any of the surveys that are done about anything?

I am guilty of filling my kettle more that I should because:

• I don't want to boil just enough water for one cup of coffee, that really doesn't feel safe to me and I don't want the little bits from the element that are always at the bottom of the kettle, in my cup.
  • If I boil a full kettle, it will take less time to boil when I have a second cuppa after about 20 minutes of finishing my last drink.. I have 2/3 cups a day, in the morning.

If we just turned back the clock 200 years and lived the way they did back then it would be so much better - oh wait, strike that.