Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Third of families take holidays in term time

Commander CMG

• Family holidays can rise by over £1,000 once schools break for summer
  • Parents can be fined £60 a child for 'unauthorised absence' in term time
  • Family trip to Disneyland Paris is £400 more if taken during official break

arrow3.gifView: Read more

When I was a school governor at our local primary, our head would always grant 10 days off school, if you wrote to him and gave him more than a few weeks notice, explaining the situation and he always maintained most holidays had educational value to young children anyway.

Allowing all state schools in England to set their own term times could cause "chaos" for families booking holidays, a teachers' union is warning.

Plans were announced on Monday to allow all schools to vary term dates, a right already held by academies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23145179

Well this should stop the 60 quid fines.

Wonder what the travel agencies will do with this, just keep the prices high all year round?

When I was a school governor at our local primary, our head would always grant 10 days off school, if you wrote to him and gave him more than a few weeks notice, explaining the situation and he always maintained most holidays had educational value to young children anyway.

When I was in school my parents always took their holidays during school term. They had to due to work, they had no choice when they could go. My mum always asked permission from the school headmaster first and it was never a problem. Two weeks holiday every year it was and it didn't do me or my brother any harm to be absent during term time.

• Like 1

When I was in school my parents always took their holidays during school term. They had to due to work, they had no choice when they could go. My mum always asked permission from the school headmaster first and it was never a problem. Two weeks holiday every year it was and it didn't do me or my brother any harm to be absent during term time.

Back in my day parents had only designated weeks off each year and that dictated when we could go on holiday, it was always in term times although we couldn't afford holidays on a regular basis.

I have never taken my kids out of school to holiday, it didn't feel right to me.

The school my kids attend have no problem with them taking holidays during term time. Whilst I wouldn't say they actively encourage it, they acknowledge it as something of a learning opportunity.

When my brother visited earlier this year, his son missed a fair bit of school in the UK. They were fine with it. He did a couple of little projects on New Zealand whilst he was here and e-mailed them to his teacher.

Allowing all state schools in England to set their own term times could cause "chaos" for families booking holidays, a teachers' union is warning.

Plans were announced on Monday to allow all schools to vary term dates, a right already held by academies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-23145179

Well this should stop the 60 quid fines.

Wonder what the travel agencies will do with this, just keep the prices high all year round?

to beat the prices low, buy a year before

to beat the prices low, buy a year before

Too late for that, now this news is out the travel agents will be keeping their upped prices....upped.