Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forgiveness vs Revenge (Karma)

Arpee

PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING, THANKS:

I quoted a few verses from The Bible where Jesus is speaking saying "Resist no evil". To me, this sounded crazy. We should just let evil take over? We should just allow anything to happen? What I realized is, whether or not I approve of something, that will not stop what has already happened or what is happening. In cases where I can be compassionate and stop the pain and suffering, I will allow my human nature to act to help another human, but in other cases where stronger forces are doing this or that. I can't stop it anyway, so I might as well accept that this is the reality and talk against it while remaining calm.

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. - Matthew 5:39

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? - Matthew 5:45-46

This is Biblical but other religions also teach this. Buddha talks about letting go of thoughts which will cause one to suffer (resisting reality by wanting desires to become the reality). I put this in the Philosophy area instead of the Religious are because I am talking about the PHILOSOPHY of forgiveness rather than revenge.

Many people believe in "Karma", that what you do comes back to you. If someone punches you, you'll punch back, et cetera. The only problem with this is that it leaves no room for forgiveness. If someone punches you and you punch back, yes, that is fair according to karma, but now that person will get revenge and punch again or even worse. You could have just chosen to live in "Grace/Forgiveness" rather than "Revenge/Karma" and let the whole situation to dissolve.

Living in Allowance is the same thing as living in forgiveness. Forgiveness just means you are "allowing" past experiences that you deem as "bad" that happened. Allowance means you are just allowing all to be as they are, and not resisting what has happened to you. Of course, if you put your hand in fire, it burns and the body will want to move away , and to NOT move away is resistance to the body protecting itself. I am not saying to stay in danger. I am simply saying if you allow moment by moment, even when it is time to get away from danger you say "this moment is ok" and move away calmly, you'll be a lot happier.

• Like 1

The more we resist, the more things persist. Since my practice this year is to move out of resistance, I have some experience with this. What's been happening around some of my issues is that when I let it go, turn it over to spirit, everything works out. And usually not the way I would have handled it, either. I'm still trying to figure out the dynamics of this. How does choosing to accept what is and choosing to take no action affect the outcome? Does this stepping aside allow for a greater force to work? I don't know about stepping aside for evil, though, Arpee. I made a vow years ago to always speak or act in the face of racism, prejudice, cruelty, etc., I was silent too many years, let too many things go by, let too many people be hurt, so now I use my voice in a way I believe it's supposed to be used.

The more we resist, the more things persist.

One person does harm, then the other person fights back, then the first person fights back and it becomes an endless cycle.

I'm still trying to figure out the dynamics of this. How does choosing to accept what is and choosing to take no action affect the outcome?

When you punch water, the water shakes and splashes in your face. If water splashes in your face and you punch it again, it's going to splash in your face again. It is better to not punch it and then let the water become still, then it won't splash in your face.

Of course, this is a metaphor, but this is how it works.

I don't know about stepping aside for evil, though, Arpee. I made a vow years ago to always speak or act in the face of racism, prejudice, cruelty, etc.

If you fight with violence, you'll be fought back against with violence. If you want to defeat the ignorance then you have to be on a higher level (wise). You can defeat it with being compassionate while sharing wisdom.

If you just say "don't be racist or I'll be you up" stooping to their level just saying "shut up" then they won't learn anything and they'll just hate you more and still continue in their ways behind everyone's back.

I'm never violent nor insulting, but I do use my voice to remind people that there are higher principles.