Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Venezuela Offers Asylum to Snowden

questionmark

President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela said Friday that he would offer asylum to the fugitive intelligence contractor Edward J. Snowden, who has been stranded in a Moscow airport searching for a safe haven.

“I have decided to offer humanitarian asylum to the young American Edward Snowden,” Mr. Maduro said during a televised appearance at a military parade marking Venezuela’s independence day.

Read more

• Like 1

Why does he not help the country to get back on its feet? inflation is high, food shortages and too many Cuban doctors.

Venezuela is last resort. They are dredging the barrel.

Well, naturally they would. he obviously wants to carry on the legacy of Chavez of being #1 South American Irritant of Uncle Sam, it certainly seemed to make Chavez popular enough, and perhaps served as an effective distraction from the way he handled the Economy. It's a winning formula, particularly as, like Ecuador and Bolivia and everywhere else, Uncle Sam couldn't do a thing about it without people screaming "GLOBAL BULLY!!!".

maybe they just want him to hand over to Uncle Barak.

He will probably just have to take up residence in their embassy because I don't see him making it to their countries.

He will probably just have to take up residence in their embassy because I don't see him making it to their countries.

Russia is big, has many borders and the NSA not enough people to watch them all. That is the smallest of his problems.

Well, naturally they would. he obviously wants to carry on the legacy of Chavez of being #1 South American Irritant of Uncle Sam, it certainly seemed to make Chavez popular enough, and perhaps served as an effective distraction from the way he handled the Economy. It's a winning formula, particularly as, like Ecuador and Bolivia and everywhere else, Uncle Sam couldn't do a thing about it without people screaming "GLOBAL BULLY!!!".

That is largely because the US actually IS the global bully, the global villain, as the French have already pointed out. By its actions, the US is the World Terrorist. Hugely ironic, I agree, and most Orwellian, but the simple truth. The Global 800 pound Gorilla has major body odor, and people are beginning to talk about it in public.

• Like 2

Not surprising as Latin America and the US never had good relations. They are still idealists and don't care about Uncle Sam or profit. Nice people.

Edited by SolarPlexus
  • Like 2

Not surprising as Latin America and the US never had good relations. They are still idealists and don't care about Uncle Sam or profit. Nice people.

Except perhaps Augusto Pinochet, Leopoldo Galitieri, Juan Perón ...

• Like 1

Yeah nice people untill they reject your opinions with bribes

Except perhaps Augusto Pinochet, Leopoldo Galitieri, Juan Perón ...

Man, people like Pinochet and Noriega were put there by Americans. The "good relations" with America during those times were merely superficial and fragile due to political instability and the will of the people who never liked Uncle Sam. Eventually Americans lost control over Pinochet who proved as much a trouble to remove, as it was to bring him to power which is really funny.

• Like 2

Whatever the case Venezuela has issues with American imperialism. Well you know what, plenty of us progressives have issues with our foreign policy too but we are not going to abandon our nation, defect, and oppose America from the distant lands of a foreign and antagonistic power!

Instead we work within the system to bring about gradual change. So much progress has been made since the Panama Canal days and we began installing dictators in banana republics. We are no longer living in the Iran-Contra era. Our policies with Central and South America has vastly improved. Human rights issues are no where like they were with death squads on peasants like they were before.

If Snowden wants to side with them against American imperialism that just makes him a double traitor in my book. First for illegally divulging to foreign powers our classified information he swore to protect and secondly for aligning himself with those whose rhetoric rails against the ghosts of American imperialism. It just does not exist anymore to that degree. It is hot in South America, they do have democracies, better hope that they do not vote in a government that is on friendlier terms with us as Caprilles would have been, because it is so hot in South America he will see his turncoat won't be of any use to him there in time.

If Snowden wants to side with them against American imperialism that just makes him a double traitor in my book.

Funny thing this. When a man exposes the Orwellian state for what it is and warns the people then he's a traitor :D

• Like 2

Funny thing this. When a man exposes the Orwellian state for what it is and warns the people then he's a traitor :D

Does anyone really imagine that any technogical nation wouldn't do that sort of thing, if they had the ability? What did Snowden imagine they did when he joined the CIA, and then took on work for the NSA, for heavens' sake? Did he imagine that any intelligence service wouldn't do anything it was able to to do its job, regardless of how Morally questionable it might be? The funniest thing is, Snowden was so horrified at the way that the US Intelligence services operate, that where does he go? Russia, whose president is a former KGB man (I bet Putin was laughing himself silly at Snowden's naivete and the shocked horror that Uncle Sam would do such a thing), and then he tries to scrabble off to anywhere out of a dozen places in S. America, very few of which could ever be described at any point in their history as beacons of Liberty and freedom. Also notice that the outrage from countries in W. Europe about the USA's perfidy has not exactly been deafening; why's that? Because they're afraid of antagonising Uncle Sam, or because they'd do the same things themselves if they only had the same sort of budget as the US Intelligence services?

• Like 1

I hope you're right bro, time will tell. In any case over here I'm pretty safe, it's you who I worry about.

• Like 1

Don't forget our European allies share information with us and vice verse.

Seriously there are already a few stories on the wire of stopping plots and catching terrorists in Europe with the help of NSA and our allies.

There is a level of transparency between us and our allies in this form. Likewise there is a level of transparency between us as citizens and our government.

We have willingly elected politicians who offer us more security since 9-11.

If the majority of citizens were against this they would demonstrate en masse to their politicians, field candidates who share their privacy concerns, there would have been more than just a few hundred protesting in cities of millions on Restore the Fourth.

More people care about their government staying out of their womb and beds than they do their internets. We already know companies are tracking us. We already know companies keep phone records of who we dial and have for decades!!! We want those companies to share that information with the government.

That is why almost half this nation or more are satisfied with the level of intelligence now. Seriously if as many people were against this as some believe well where are they?

Edited by The world needs you

There is a level of transparency between us and our allies in this form.

Likewise there is a level of transparency between us as citizens and our government.

We have willingly elected politicians who offer us more security since 9-11.

You really believe in this?

Does anyone really imagine that any technogical nation wouldn't do that sort of thing, if they had the ability? What did Snowden imagine they did when he joined the CIA, and then took on work for the NSA, for heavens' sake? Did he imagine that any intelligence service wouldn't do anything it was able to to do its job, regardless of how Morally questionable it might be? The funniest thing is, Snowden was so horrified at the way that the US Intelligence services operate, that where does he go? Russia, whose president is a former KGB man (I bet Putin was laughing himself silly at Snowden's naivete and the shocked horror that Uncle Sam would do such a thing), and then he tries to scrabble off to anywhere out of a dozen places in S. America, very few of which could ever be described at any point in their history as beacons of Liberty and freedom. Also notice that the outrage from countries in W. Europe about the USA's perfidy has not exactly been deafening; why's that? Because they're afraid of antagonising Uncle Sam, or because they'd do the same things themselves if they only had the same sort of budget as the US Intelligence services?

The point is it's against the Constitution. I don't want everything I do on the Internet being monitored, nor my emails, and phone calls. We are all being treated as if we are suspected terrorists! Not to mention storing all that information in one place, makes quite an inviting target for hackers.....

You really believe in this?

The results speak for themselves.

http://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-nsas-high-tech-surveillance-helped-europeans-catch-terrorists

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-27/nsa-s-alexander-says-secret-programs-stopped-terror-plots.html

If Venezuela ever has a problem with foreign terrorists and needs our intelligence to help save their citizens their anti-imperialistic rhetoric would be retired. That is fact. They can criticize us and Europe but they don't face the same threats. Luckily! And hopefully they never have to but if they did we would help them too. We are America.

I asked you personally, I don't need to read that garbage.... And that last "We are America" part is just scary... Do you have your opinion or CNN speaks for you?

I asked you personally, I don't need to read that garbage.... And that last "We are America" part is just scary... Do you have your opinion or CNN speaks for you?

Numbers speak for themsleves regarding honest opinions. No one is claiming the opinions of those against the NSA are not real. The best I have seen is 500,000 sign some petition against the NSA in a country of 313+ million citizens. Our silence is our consent and if we were bothered we would speak up...we do about other things.

CNN>infowars if we must dissect the debate on that level.

CNN>infowars if we must dissect the debate on that level.

/thread

—snip

Do you have your opinion or CNN speaks for you?

An honest opinion was given to the one who asked for it and it was their decision to try and dismiss it by coupling it with CNN.

So cnn.com is #21 in the US and #81 in the world when it comes to ranking websites. Not quite #1.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cnn.com

But inforwars.com is #550 in the US and #1,573 in the world. Way, way, down there.

http://www.alexa.com...fo/infowars.com

This is not even counting who watches what on television.

So, if one day the majority of the US decides to go against the NSA and demand change from our politicians they will get it, no doubt, they just all have to speak up. They are choosing not to for a reason.

If they did well fine, we can dampen our intelligence and security efforts, we can allow another 9-11, and then we can reevaulate and get another chance to decide to up intelligence and security or even go with less of it then. No worries here because the answer seems clear: More than 500,000 people have signed an online petition demanding that Congress investigate the NSA.

500,000 of 313 million is only 0.16%

Add a few more, go ahead, and then reconfigure it.

Should we be generous and go with 100 Restore the Fourth rallies and give them all 500 people each? They had way less if we add it all up but that is just 50,000 people who would actually protest against the NSA.

So there, maybe half the country does not like what the NSA is doing but they don't dislike it enough to actually sign a petition or protest....