Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Westboro insanity..

GoldenWolf

I don't have a clue, but I've yet to hear even one logical reason why these so-called Christians would picket these 19 firefighters funerals. Nineteen young men, who had wives, sons, daughters, moms, dads, brothers and sisters. Tragically killed trying to protect other peoples property.

One thing that's sorely missing from this church is compassion. You can't be a good christian without it. Jesus didn't act like they do when he walked the Earth. Emulating him as he walked on Earth is something all Christians should strive for. The congregation at Westboro isn't doing a very good job. They deserve to be called out !

Very well said! I am at a loss to as to why they would picket this funeral or any for that matter.And you are correct they are not doing a very effective job walking in love and tolerance and that they are under scrutiny is a good thing. I like the idea of the petition, that as a community if we push hard enough we can mandate laws and establish boundaries on what we will not allow for in regards to human behavior, it seems it is needed in some expressions of religion. It is these types of things that bring the need into our awareness.

Edited by Sherapy

They're also threatening to picket One Direction concerts.

Which is, IMO, for them a bad idea. Soldiers have self-control, you p*** off a bunch of squeeling tweens and they'll eat you alive.

I can see it now ... "WBC members mauled by 11 year old girls in OD fracas"

• Like 2

They're also threatening to picket One Direction concerts.

Surely they'd approve of 1D as proof that God hates the world?

• Like 3

One of our members here presented a theory that I have since tended to adopt as to the truth of the Westboro clan. The head of the church/family is Fred Phelps, a disbarred lawyer. Phelps began the church as an attempt to screw over the legal system that he thinks screwed him over when they disbarred him. By starting a hate group under the guise of religion, and then when someone attempts to sue them for hate speech, he can still represent himself in court and tie the system up for years, waste people's money (and tax-payers money) as he vigorously argues freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression.

It's a neat little scam, and explains the WBC quite succinctly. As such, in terms of protesting the funerals of 19 fire-fighters, I don't think they need any particular reason. They just want to offend as many people as they can in the hope of pulling in a law-suit against them, and then they can tie the courts up and screw over the system.

Makes sense to me :yes:

• Like 6

One of our members here presented a theory that I have since tended to adopt as to the truth of the Westboro clan. The head of the church/family is Fred Phelps, a disbarred lawyer. Phelps began the church as an attempt to screw over the legal system that he thinks screwed him over when they disbarred him. By starting a hate group under the guise of religion, and then when someone attempts to sue them for hate speech, he can still represent himself in court and tie the system up for years, waste people's money (and tax-payers money) as he vigorously argues freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression.

It's a neat little scam, and explains the WBC quite succinctly. As such, in terms of protesting the funerals of 19 fire-fighters, I don't think they need any particular reason. They just want to offend as many people as they can in the hope of pulling in a law-suit against them, and then they can tie the courts up and screw over the system.

I think you're right...To add I find it completely mad and crazy beyond reason..To abuse a bible in the hopes to get what they want, is madness..

• Like 1

The WBC is a business, not a church. They push peoples buttons until their "rights" are infringed, and then they sue.

• Like 2

The WBC is a business, not a church. They push peoples buttons until their "rights" are infringed, and then they sue.

There should be a law that says, when out promoting hate speeches towards others and disturbing peaceful funerals and gathers with hate, then you cannot use your religion to excuse it.You will be dealt with like anyone else that does the same...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

There should be a law that says, when out promoting hate speeches towards others and disturbing peaceful funerals and gathers with hate, then you cannot use your religion to excuse it.You will be dealt with like anyone else that does the same...

That is the way it should be all the time with all religions.

• Like 3

Whoah, I liked a post of yours, I think that is exactly what happened with moses, the pharaoh, and egypt.

I don't believe they are religious. It's all a scam.

• Like 1

I don't believe they are religious. It's all a scam.

You could be right.. I have noticed they are into law, one of their daughters is working as a lawyer, and I am nearly sure the mother is too...Don't quote me on that.....They most likely know of many loopholes enough to get away from trouble with the law.

They're lower than pond scum. Don't sink to their level ~ give them no mention.

They feed on attention. Let 'em be. No one can change their deplorable behavior.

• Like 1

I've said it in posts in the US section that protests at funerals should be banned because people are emotionally vulnnerable and it really isn't the place to do that. Now I thouht that was a rather sensible thing to do... but the responses were all similar to what the WBC says about freedom of speech and right to protest. Apparently there right to do that always trump the rights of the families to mourn, which seems... well callous and crazy.

You know what does surprise me though? With all the guns in the US that no one has shot one of them. It really does surprise me that no one who has lost a loved one has not just... snapped and gunned a few of them down.

• Like 3

You know what does surprise me though? With all the guns in the US that no one has shot one of them. It really does surprise me that no one who has lost a loved one has not just... snapped and gunned a few of them down.

There's nothing they'd like more. Imagine the mileage they'd make out of having a Martyr.

• Like 2

I've said it in posts in the US section that protests at funerals should be banned because people are emotionally vulnnerable and it really isn't the place to do that. Now I thouht that was a rather sensible thing to do... but the responses were all similar to what the WBC says about freedom of speech and right to protest. Apparently there right to do that always trump the rights of the families to mourn, which seems... well callous and crazy.

If you watched - The Jeremy Kyle show.. The was an elderly lady on who lost her son to war, she spoke of how it broke her heart to bury her own child

She asked Shirley Phelps how would she feel if she too had to bury one of her own children? Shirley said something about how that would change her if that ever happens.

The show had a protestant minister / pastor, he was outraged with the WBC comment, he spoke about what Jesus truly teaches and how the WBC are not following the lord...They told him he was nothing but a liar.. They called the protestant pastor a liar a few times over.. I saw the look on his face, he was gob smacked.

I know there are many Christians who can shut these people up, and they would also be able to hammer them in any bible debate, but see, that wont do any good... Jesus himself couldn't work any miracle to help them...

I'll tell you what is truly unfair, when other people lump the WBC in with other Christians...I used to until I read their foul site, they call every Christian out there liars and all going to hell ...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

If you watched - The Jeremy Kyle show.. The was an elderly lady on who lost her son to war, she spoke of how it broke her heart to bury her own child

She asked Shirley Phelps how would she feel if she too had to bury one of her own children? Shirley said something about how that would change her if that ever happens.

The show had a protestant minister / pastor, he was outraged with the WBC comment, he spoke about what Jesus truly teaches and how the WBC are not following the lord...They told him he was nothing but a liar.. They called the protestant pastor a liar a few times over.. I saw the look on his face, he was gob smacked.

I know there are many Christians who can shut these people up, and they would also be able to hammer them in any bible debate, but see, that wont do any good... Jesus himself couldn't work any miracle to help them...

I'll tell you what is truly unfair, when other people lump the WBC in with other Christians...I used to until I read their foul site, they call every Christian out there liars and all going to hell ...

I can't birng yself to watch anything with them in (I caught a bit of a documentary with them once and they really are just... nuts)

They'd most likely call jesus a liar and satan and not a 'true' christian too.

Yeah, the wbc really aren't anything close to 'true' christians because... well, just look at them. They're just interested in maing their fellow man miserable and making money off it, not helping anyone.

• Like 1

I thought of something, might be a little extreme, although I don't know if it is legal in Utah.

A whole bunch of atheists picket their church, with signs like:

New International Version (©2011)

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

John 15:18

Yeah that makes more sense then what I came up with. It goes hand in hand with gaining publicity.

On another note: In the old days, people use to throw rotten fruit and vegetables at people like this. Don't see that anymore, what happen to that? Is there now a stiff jail time penalty for it or something?