Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boeing 777 Crash lands in San Francisco

Beckys_Mom

I am watching Sky News live, and it is reporting a Boeing 777 crash landed in San Francisco... All of the passengers ( 290 ) and 12 crew, were safe ...The plane then caught fire shortly after the passengers and crew got off...

Check the coverage on Sky News live - http://news.sky.com/

cegrab-20130706-211134-164-1-522x293.jpg

Also can be read on Sky News US - http://news.sky.com/story/1112466/boeing-plane-crash-lands-in-san-francisco

Edited by Beckys_Mom

No information at all on whether it lost its tail upon landing or if it fell off in the air before landing. At least one account was that it happened in air with an accompanying fireball.

If the latter it could have been a detonation set off within radio range. A Pyongyang plot perhaps.

I just heard that two are dead and many others are hospitalized. Over 60 [idk] are missing.

It looks liek it hit the sea wall with its tail (see update III video here http://www.weeklysta...ort_738714.html) which may have been the pre-crash boom. If this is so then it is either pilot error or there was a mechanical malfunction that caused the aircraft to be too low on approach. The good news is the video of so many people simply walking off the plane and across the tarmac. Amazing!

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

I heard one pilot say today, "out of altitude, out of ideas," a common phrase they use in this rare situation.

It looks like someone's 777's ran out, by coming up a little short of the runway.

While totally unrelated one could google "egypt 777".

Most Likely will revolve around the findings of the RED Box ! THe Pilots may of Set the ILS wrong ,but who knows? There are several layers of ck`s and balances for this Landing procedure !

But Pilot error is a good bet on this one !

• Like 1

I was wondering if someone might suggest an extremely devious plot by N. Korea (not just any ordinary bomb, but they arranged it so that the tail came off just at the moment it landed), and I wasn't disappointed.

• Like 1

I was wondering if someone might suggest an extremely devious plot by N. Korea (not just any ordinary bomb, but they arranged it so that the tail came off just at the moment it landed), and I wasn't disappointed.

It was lightly suggested in a very noncommittal way.

I agree pilot error, could fatigue though or his/her vision went fuzzy.

• Like 1

*Waits for someone to suggest lizard birds .... *

• Like 4

From the moment when I first posted this story, ( I did so as I was watching it live on Sky News ) The full reports were not in, at that time they had not reported anyone hurt or killed..

Later that night I checked for any updates, and it is worse than the early reports...

A passenger plane which crash landed at San Francisco International Airport, killing at least two people, had no engine or mechanical problems, according to the airline's boss.

Around 180 people were injured after the South Korean Asiana Airlines jet slammed into the runway, broke off its tail and then the aircraft caught fire.

The Boeing 777, which originated in Shanghai then flew to Seoul before heading to the US, was believed to be carrying 291 passengers and 16 crew members.

The San Francisco Fire Department, said 181 people were taken to various hospitals - 49 of whom are in a serious condition.

The dead were female Chinese teenagers, aged around 16 or 17, who were seated at the back of the plane. They were found outside the aircraft.

More - http://news.sky.com/story/1112466/asiana-plane-crash-lands-no-engine-problems

*Waits for someone to suggest lizard birds .... *

"lizard-birds"?

q:

Oh, nevermind, nevermind.

Edited by The world needs you

"lizard-birds"?

q:

Oh, nevermind, nevermind.

Check out the UFO threads. All will be revealed.

• Like 1

I heard one pilot say today, "out of altitude, out of ideas," a common phrase they use in this rare situation.

It looks like someone's 777's ran out, by coming up a little short of the runway.

Of course it's too early to tell, but this accident is similar to the BA 777 landing in London last year after a long flight from Asia or Africa. The engines went to flight idle and would not respond to throttle inputs.

We will see fairly quickly. If that's the case, the pilot did a great job, given the cards he was dealt.

• Like 2

Ironically the numbers - 777 are said to be lucky...!!!

• Like 2

The glide slope system was off line so it looks like they had to do a visuals only landing which is perfectly normal and common place but several passengers reported that way to low over the water. All of these factors would seem to reenforce the idea that the plane hit the sea wall, knocking its tail off.

• Like 1

I would say: lets wait for the black box evaluation, after that we will know. As is we have about 1:100 being right.

• Like 1

I would say: lets wait for the black box evaluation, after that we will know. As is we have about 1:100 being right.

Better than 1 in 100. It is clear that the aircraft impacted the sea wall thereby knocking the tail section off but we can only speculate, at this time, about why it hit the sea wall and that will be either an explosion or mechanical failure in-close or pilot error.

Edited by Merc14

Of course it's too early to tell, but this accident is similar to the BA 777 landing in London last year after a long flight from Asia or Africa. The engines went to flight idle and would not respond to throttle inputs.

We will see fairly quickly. If that's the case, the pilot did a great job, given the cards he was dealt.

Exactly. Not willing to throw the pilot under the bus at this stage of the investigation. It could very well be a thrust issue.

"For whatever reason, the pilot did not have enough power available to correct the rate of descent that brought him into contact with the ground before he wanted to be there," Jim Tilmon, an aviation expert and former airline pilot, told CNN.

"There are a number of other considerations that may or may not have been made clear: One of them has to do with the fact that at least on one other occasion -- with a [boeing] 777 in London -- they were on approach to land and they also ended up landing short. It's my understanding that it was all because of a fuel situation. For one reason or another, the throttles were moving but the engines were not increasing their thrust. Therefore they landed short of the runway and short of the power they needed to continue with a safe landing."

Expert: Flight 214 'should never have been close to hitting seawall'

Better than 1 in 100. It is clear that the aircraft impacted the sea wall thereby knocking the tail section off but we can only speculate, at this time, about why it hit the sea wall and that will be either an explosion or mechanical failure in-close or pilot error.

Yes, I'm not sure what the other 99 possibiltes might be, but it's fairly obvious what happened, the only question is, pilot error or technical fault (with the instruments, navigation systems, some error of fault with ATC sustems or whatever)

or indeed, yes, that's something that occurred to me as well.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

Although in Aviation Mishap School they always cautioned us to gather all the evidence before even guessing at a cause. That said, they have the aircrew, they have the black boxes, they have multiple expert eyewitnesses (pilots waiting for takeoff, tower personnel) and tehy have the aircraft and runway damage so within a week they should have a preliminary.

THe VASI lights were off on that runway,the ILS was off,THe Pilots could of actually miss judged the threshold and slamed into the sea wall at there alt !

IMO.

• Like 2