Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ever been in life threatening situation?

Big Bad Voodoo

Riding out a Category 3 Hurricane is as close as I've come (that I'm aware of...) and it was memorable, to say the least.

• Like 2

At 19, I came within a hair of losing an unplanned game of chicken to a semi on a narrow mountain road. Unfortunately, I suffered a kind of PTSD from it and it started me on my road to a life full of anxiety issues.

• Like 2

My family was in an 8.1 earthquake that lasted a full minute. At 20 seconds we were surprised in was still happening. At 30 seconds, watching the ground roll in waves hearing the that low, ominous rumble, and watching everything in the house hit the floor, we all realized that is was distinctly possible that we might not survive. At 45 seconds we all looked at each other and said I love you. It was the longest 60 seconds of our lives.

• Like 3

I have had quite a lot, well what I would judge more than what many would go through, many of my own fault.

When I was 2 or 3 and lived in Alaska, my dad and I came upon a moose in the wilderness. According to him, I wanted to fight it off, like a character of Xena that I watched then. This creature could stomp my skull in and probably would have if my dad couldn't have convinced me to leave.

About the same age, my dad had the wonderful idea of waxing a sled that we were going to have some fun time with. Well, my parents, my brother and I got on it and pretty much shot down the hill.. To this day this story is hilarious. Well, we shot down, my dad gripping me as tight as we could, and suddenly we hit this large woman, who ended up flying through the air. I was about lost because I was almost smashed in that collision. Needless to say, that once they had it stopped, we were out of there. (My father tells it better.)

My mother, brother, and I about stepped into an oncoming bus that was speeding, when my dad ended up pulling us back in a split second.

One of my most recent was when a friend and I were heading towards his house so that he could change out of his military uniform, when a suv suddenly reared out of the opposite moving lane of traffic and into ours, speeding up faster and faster. I was sort of frozen in time, so I was glad when my friend swerved off the road..

If that suv would've hit that car we were in at that speed, I don't think we would be too pretty.

Have too many, like I said.

• Like 2

Have you ever been in life threatening situation?

If so, in what?

I've been threatened by a trucker over a cup of coffee before. He really wanted to kill me.

• Like 1

Been shot at a few different times including being inside buildings with bullets zipping through walls as others outside were firing inside.

Been beaten badly twice but healed.

Been in a couple of car wrecks where was so lucky to walk away.

Almost choked once as a small child but had the Heimlich maneuver performed on me, thanks Dad.

Fainted once, began having seizures, started turning blue but had CPR performed on me, thanks Sis.

Totally unsure what triggered that but have not had any repeats.

Unsure where to draw the line of what experiences exactly affected my mind and to what degree but I definitely enjoy the feeling of safety now and appreciate the ability to manage anxiety the best I can.

• Like 3

I was shot at during hunting season many years ago someone decided I was an elk and proceeded to shoot cross canyon and either didn't know what he was shooting at or didn't care. I was resting against a tree and moved to take a drink from a canteen. suddenly ZZZzzzzzpop first bullet went by me just to my left, seconds later a second bullet wnt by to the left and hit a tree and the third bullet would have been dead on ( bad pun but true) had I not moved after the second shot I didn't realize what the first shot was until the second shot. went by me. I rolled away from where I was sitting and unloaded my rifle in the general direction the bullets had come from didn't hear or see any more shots but a few minutes after I unloaded and reloaded my rifle I saw someone running down a valley in the general direction that the bullets had come from. I didn't bother to go find out who it was who'd been shooting. and when I told the story at hunting camp that night no one said a word about my returning fire

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 2

I was backed into a corner with a knife at my throat by a drunk childhood friend (yep drunk kid - got into his parent's alcohol during their 25th anniversary celebrations, 9 years old I think). The reason? I didn't know he was drunk (why would I we were kids), earlier in the evening he had put ice down my back. He was asleep on the couch, so I got him back, thinking it was still as funny as he thought it was when he did it. He didn't like it ....

If his older sister had not come when I screamed and yanked him backwards by his collar, to this day I don't know how it would have ended.

Needless to say, I didn't spend much time with him after that and neither did my parents with his parents.

• Like 2

No tsunami survivors, shark attack survivors, lost in wilderness survivors...?

Called my ex-wife ( when we were still Married ) the " C " word......She cheated on me and deserved it, but hey.

Had 9 rounds go through my apartment door during a shootout that nieghbor and someone else had....

Had a 3 inch Fireworks mortor tube collapse and one mortor hit my leg while I was in the fetal position hiding, went 5 feet and exploded.That hurt, and I was very lucky to get out of that one with just a bad leg wound. Drinking and Fireworks do not mix. Someone loaded one mortor in upside down, it was a series of 40 tubes I made , with cannon fuse to light them all for the " grand finally" .....Still a Hell of a show.

Roll over in a van with 8 people in it, no seats except the driver and passenger.

Motorcycle accident.

Fell over a bridge into a creek that was about a foot deep, about a 15 foot drop, did a complete flip and belly flopped perfectly. Not on purpose.

Had a knife to my chest in a mugging. Drug related, stupid days.

Worked on a bridge repair job for 2 years, had a few slips, but had harness on , so maybe that does not count.

Waiting on results as I type to see if I have skin cancer.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

Waiting on results as I type to see if I have skin cancer.

I hope everything will be good.

• Like 2

Thank You..Have 3 stitches in my lower leg where they took off the growth. I called it a mole, they said it did not look like a mole.......

Should know this coming week.

I'm almost seventy years old and have lived in Vietnam most of that time Add it up

• Like 3

Malignent Melanoma....Stage 2 skin cancer....:(

when training for a canoe race we hit a stingray that was roughling the size of Tasmania. in the race we were almost hit by a ferry.

• Like 2

Malignent Melanoma....Stage 2 skin cancer.... :(

Stay positive. You will overcome this threat as you did one you mentioned. :tu:

Its your body signal to change your way of life.

Its symptome not origin of illness. Illness is your life.

Be brave. Change way you eat, sleep. remove stress. Dont go to work. You dont need to show anyone how strong are you except to yourself. Stop smoking and drinking. Exercise. Spent time with family. Laugh. Go on walk with dear person.

And ofcourse listen the doctor.

Edited by the L
  • Like 2

when training for a canoe race we hit a stingray that was roughling the size of Tasmania. in the race we were almost hit by a ferry.

Thats first time I ever heard someone was almost hit by ferry.

i was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and me turning blue already....luckily no sharks involved, though.

• Like 1

Faced armed drunks with loaded weapons, been slashed with a knife trying to subdue a suspect.

Almost took a 12 gauge 'friendly-fire' shot to the head while conducting a building sweep. (I saw nothing 'friendly' about it :no: )

Was 50' from a head-on with a small commuter jet while I was driving 5,000 gallons of AvGas. ( Pilot told to turn LEFT on runway, turned RIGHT onto apron instead)

Trapped in a car in a twenty foot deep drainage ditch, after being run off the road by a drunk driver.

Stepped outside my office for a smoke, just before the back wall of the building exploded.

Oh, WTC 9-11-2001.

Yes, I think I have been in a life threatening situation. What of it?

• Like 2

Just one for me, which is plenty.

A friend and I came close to drowning together when we were 13. We were swimming in the ocean in FL and thought it would be fun to see if we could swim out to the buoys. We were inexperienced swimmers, and after getting too tired and deciding to swim back, we didn't realize that we were swimming against a current and got drug out farther.

I don't know how long we were out there but it was the most exhausting I've ever felt. It was scary feeling your body get weaker and weaker, trying so hard to keep yourself up above the water but still swallowing more salt water with almost every breath. And the moments that came, where giving in would have been soo easy.

Also, for a while there we were taking turns holding each other up on our backs above the water at the same time in an attempt to give the other person a bit of a rest, which only really added to our exhaustion.

The beach was so crowed too and no one noticed how far we were getting from the other swimmers or how much trouble we were having. I guess it's like they say, drowning doesn't look like drowning.

Eventually we were pulled closer to the shore where some people were fishing, and they came out as far as they could and helped us out of the water. I slipped on some big rocks because my body was trembling so much and I could barely stand, so I got a huge bloody gash on my leg to top it all off. lol

• Like 1

Malignent Melanoma....Stage 2 skin cancer.... :(

Oh, no!!!! So sorry to hear that!!! But stage 2 is better than stage 4. Stay positive. I know several people who have beaten melanoma with no residuals other than a scar where it was removed. Hang in there, my friend!!!

• Like 1

I was caught in a tornado at night while in my convertible. Extremely terrifying not being able to see what's happening in the sky around you and not being able to get any radio transmission for updates. But I was able to see the swaying streetlights and the traffic lights get blown to the ground. Just knew I was a goner.

• Like 1