Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

Cosmic Dust Belts without Dust

2 posts in this topic

Cosmic Dust Belts without Dust

International Research Team of Astrophysicists of Jena University Discovers Six Ultra-Cold Debris Disks

Planets and asteroids, red giants and brown dwarfs - there are all kinds of objects in our Universe. Debris disks are among them. These are belts consisting of countless dust particles and planetesimals, circling around one central star. "At least one fifth of stars are surrounded by dust belts like these," Prof. Dr. Alexander Krivov from the Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena explains. "They are the remains of the formation of planets, in which the unused, building materials are collected," the astrophysicist points out. Therefore debris disks are an important piece in the puzzle to be able to better understand the variety of planetary systems.

arrow3.gifSource

It seems odd to me that particles/objects within our own "dust cloud" can reach room temperature levels... I did not know they could do that... I thought they were all hovering around absolute zero or some such...