Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to deal with cops under any circumstance

Yamato

You do have a point and it's one I've often made to folks - even if you feel you are 100% in the right, do what the police tell you and don't give them any excuse to escalate the situation. Let the attorneys sort it out afterwards.

The OP of my discussion highlights the Fourth Amendment, the Fifth Amendment, and even a little Second Amendment included in the 2nd video. You and lightly are two of the posters that I was referring to in the OP, making the ludicrous claim that you don't have the right to remain silent until your masters tell you you do. What is this irrational fear of getting beat up just for not answering questions? If that happened to you, the lawyers would be sorting out a victorious lawsuit afterwards.

A much more likely escalation is putting you under arrest for surrendering your rights and incriminating yourself. Don't be a tool.

• Like 2

The OP of my discussion highlights the Fourth Amendment, the Fifth Amendment, and even a little Second Amendment included in the 2nd video. You and lightly are two of the posters that I was referring to in the OP, making the ludicrous claim that you don't have the right to remain silent until your masters tell you you do. What is this irrational fear of getting beat up just for not answering questions? If that happened to you, the lawyers would be sorting out a victorious lawsuit afterwards.

A much more likely escalation is putting you under arrest for surrendering your rights and incriminating yourself. Don't be a tool.

Please point to any thread where I've said that.

My point is simply this - be smart and remember that the police have the upper hand in any situation.

Please point to any thread where I've said that.

My point is simply this - be smart and remember that the police have the upper hand in any situation.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250856entry4838310

No, the police do not have the upper hand. They must obey the law and if you know your rights and exercise them appropriately, you will have the upper hand both during the police encounter and in the courtroom afterwards.

I think refusal to answer a cop can result in a charge of obstruction of justice ... you would be hampering an investigation. If a cop tells you to do something... you'd better do it, unless you want to be manhandled and cuffed ... and possibly beaten.

Here's another example:

and another:

The advice in this 2nd video is invaluable. You should be thanking me for presenting it for you. All cops are liars. They ask questions to give you rope to hang yourself with. Exercise your Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights folks. Otherwise, you don't even have them.

• Like 1

There are circumstances where reasonable orders of authorities must be obeyed. This applies to uniformed personnel on aircraft, security personnel in places like banks, and certainly to officers of the regular police. I do not see where there is a freedom issue involved unless the authority being exercised is arbitrary or unreasonable, and that is unlikely as they are doing their job and want to keep it. Obviously the spread of videocams to almost everywhere is reducing cases of unreasonable police behavior. Most cases of trouble of this sort is where the citizen is under some kind of chemical influence.

Link lazy so not watching or wasting even ten seconds on the newest batch but commenting generally in regards to the running conversation.

Look, if someone has dirt on them then of course don't spill the beans or snitch on others.

But as far as law abiding citizens go there is no need for any of this. Simply be cooperative and on your way than hassling the police because there is a price to pay.

It also seems immature to try to play "Mr. I know my rights" with the cops. Most likely those who would do not have a young family they care about. Putting your child's mother or father at risk over shenanigans with the police is foolish.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

This clown had his firearms confiscated as well as his concealed handgun license. All because he thought he knew better than the police.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXCL4P8vL0[/media]

The folks from my side of the world treat cops a tad differently.. They do things like - chuck rocks, bottles, petrol bombs etc at the police in really rough republican and loyalist ( Catholic and Protestant areas) areas...Its not a pretty site..I wouldn't set foot in any of those places...If I am driving past, I put my foot to the pedal . Republican is not the same as the US kind..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

The folks from my side of the world treat cops a tad differently.. They do things like - chuck rocks, bottles, petrol bombs etc at the police in really rough republican and loyalist ( Catholic and Protestant areas) areas...Its not a pretty site..I wouldn't set foot in any of those places...If I am driving past, I put my foot to the pedal . Republican is not the same as the US kind..

I watched a movie called, The Boxer, it had Daniel Day Lewis in it. But it was set during the "Time of Troubles" a few years ago, and it had stuff about the IRA and everything in it. But some of those scenes were crazy! They showed 12 -13 year old boys throwing Molotov cocktails, rocks, and bombs at cops cars! Your post just reminded me of that movie though.....

• Like 1

I watched a movie called, The Boxer, it had Daniel Day Lewis in it. But it was set during the "Time of Troubles" a few years ago, and it had stuff about the IRA and everything in it. But some of those scenes were crazy! They showed 12 -13 year old boys throwing Molotov cocktails, rocks, and bombs at cops cars! Your post just reminded me of that movie though.....

I haven't seen The Boxer, the only movie I have seen with Daniel Day lewis in that is linked to Irish was - In The Name Of The Father..

But the rough ghettos do love to throw things at the cops....Particularly in Belfast.. I am lucky I live out of the way in a nice country quiet location...

• Like 1

I haven't seen The Boxer, the only movie I have seen with Daniel Day lewis in that is linked to Irish was - In The Name Of The Father..

But the rough ghettos do love to throw things at the cops....Particularly in Belfast.. I am lucky I live out of the way in a nice country quiet location...

I believe it was actually in a part of Belfast that it was happening. Some pretty rough neighborhoods there....

But heck, their are neighborhoods here in America, that are just as bad....But, I think cops in America have it a lot easier than in other countries...

• Like 1

if you tried half the stuff advocated in those videos here in Oz you'd cop an "attitude adjuster" from the police (their favourite one is to look over the car for something's that "unroadworthy" and send you off with a flea in your ear and a looming bill to pay for repairs). Be honest but don't offer anything not asked for.

• Like 2

Be honest but don't offer anything not asked for.

I'm glad I don't live in the "commonwealth" (what a nice word, btw) where law enforcement practices seem to be outrageous compared to the US.

Do you have the right to remain silent in Australia? I don't understand how to reconcile your statement. Is remaining silent dishonest? How's that?

• Like 1

Law enforcement is a cooperative affair. It is not the police on one side and the public on the other, it is law enforcement and the public on one side and law breakers on the other. The public does what it can, proactively, to help the police, and the police does what it can to protect the public's anonymity.

This is natural and universal. The descriptions I've just read about destructive and rebellious activity have to be exaggerated and rare or society could not function.

• Like 1

I believe it was actually in a part of Belfast that it was happening. Some pretty rough neighborhoods there....

But heck, their are neighborhoods here in America, that are just as bad....But, I think cops in America have it a lot easier than in other countries...

There are some parts in Belfast that are nice, one in particular is the road out of Belfast lol ( Just kidding ) I like Belfast for shopping though... I prefer living in the nice open spaces that are peaceful where I am at present...The only noise disturbance I hear are our cats fighting with a bully across the road lol

I think every place has a ghetto somewhere !!

• Like 1

This clown had his firearms confiscated as well as his concealed handgun license. All because he thought he knew better than the police.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgXCL4P8vL0[/media]

Don't pretend that this incident isn't far from over. Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham does know better than police. They're now in jeopardy of having far more than a firearm confiscated. It's going to be like pulling teeth to extract their secret records from them but this kind of arrest has no prayer of producing charges in court.

"They don't care what the law is" said the officer.

"You're not exempt from the law." said Grisham. "Yes we are." said the officer.

Talk about who the clown is...that's a criminal in a costume and his costume is all it takes to earn your worship.

Grisham wasn't charged with any gun-related crimes, and as far as the law goes, someone's going to have to cite the law about "rudely displaying a firearm" to me. I'm not surprised this case is hung up in secret limbo because they probably don't have a clue what they're going to do with it. This is a case that's solid gold to preserving our rights in this country. Thanks for posting.

• Like 3

This is a case that's solid gold to preserving our rights in this country. Thanks for posting.

it does seem to me he is a pro gunner in disguise, posting absolute garbage for gun hatters, that has little sence, and screwed up facts. great job, he is doing more damage to antigun movement that we ever could. he's desroying them from inside.

great job.

but we should not forget, the best way to hide a lie is between two truths

Edited by aztek

I'm glad I don't live in the "commonwealth" (what a nice word, btw) where law enforcement practices seem to be outrageous compared to the US.

Do you have the right to remain silent in Australia? I don't understand how to reconcile your statement. Is remaining silent dishonest? How's that?

we'vr full Miranda rights here, it's just that, as a nation of convicts,everyone knows hpw to mmanipulate the law - even the coppers.
  • Like 2

we'vr full Miranda rights here, it's just that, as a nation of convicts,everyone knows hpw to mmanipulate the law - even the coppers.

Cops use every trick in the book to their advantage, it behooves us to know our rights and do the same. Americans may be less street smart than our Australian counterparts are as a whole, but don't forget we're a nation of convicts too if you still assign what the Brits used their colonies for back in the day as part of your identity today. You're the US's substitute. I wonder if the Empire took it easier on you guys after their invincibility was proven a myth. If they couldn't even keep it glued together across "the pond", they must have realized they had no chance against a genuine armed insurrection half the world away in Australia with supply lines (across waterways no less) stretched that long.

http://en.wikipedia....ment_by_Britain

Edited by Yamato

Don't pretend that this incident isn't far from over. Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham does know better than police. They're now in jeopardy of having far more than a firearm confiscated. It's going to be like pulling teeth to extract their secret records from them but this kind of arrest has no prayer of producing charges in court.

"They don't care what the law is" said the officer.

"You're not exempt from the law." said Grisham. "Yes we are." said the officer.

Talk about who the clown is...that's a criminal in a costume and his costume is all it takes to earn your worship.

Grisham wasn't charged with any gun-related crimes, and as far as the law goes, someone's going to have to cite the law about "rudely displaying a firearm" to me. I'm not surprised this case is hung up in secret limbo because they probably don't have a clue what they're going to do with it. This is a case that's solid gold to preserving our rights in this country. Thanks for posting.

Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham is a decorated veteran.

Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham was on a ten-mile Boy Scout hike with his son in Texas when he was arrested and accused of “rudely displaying” his firearm. Knowing there are wild boars, coyotes, and cougars in the area, he had an AR-15 rifle slung over his shoulder and was also carrying a .45 caliber pistol, according to Fox News’ Todd Starnes.

A “huge Constitutionalist” and prominent military blogger, Grisham has served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan throughout his 18 years in the military. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor for his service.

But on the day he was arrested in mid-March, Grisham says he was treated like a “street thug.”

Link: http://www.theblaze....-of-boy-scouts/

Pretty disgraceful. :no:

But, as you pointed out, this case is far from over.

Grisham said his boy was traumatized by the incident.

Every time he sees a police officer he has a panic attack
,” he said. “That’s unfortunate because
we always taught our kids to respect police
officers. My wife and I are angry about it.” [Emphasis added]

Chris told Fox News that he wants to be like his dad when he grows up. “He inspires me,” he said, adding that his father “didn’t do anything wrong at all.”

At this point, roughly a month later, Grisham says is still “100 percent confused” about why he was arrested. His charges were downgraded from resisting arrest to interfering with a peace officer while performing a duty, but he still thinks the situation is absurd and inexcusable.

It's really awful this happened in Texas, where we love our guns and our freedom. This District Attorney who seems to love Obama isn't gonna last long, that's for sure.....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

*snip*

Most officers, especially in rural areas of Texas, are going to be pro-gun. In fact the arresting officer's side gig is as a concealed handgun license instructor.

Running up on an individual who is obviously anti-cop and acting cavalier to an officer is not going to ever end up as a situation falling on that individual's favor. So much for his roadside lawyering...

CJ Grisham has a history of drama and this being just the latest chapter.

In 2009 he made the Huntsville Board of Education feel threatened over a personal bruhaha he made with them.

Grisham's most recent battle with his superiors grew out of his blogging about disagreements he had with the local school board after they decided to implement a student uniform policy halfway into the year without input from parents. Grisham, who had two kids in the school, posted unflattering video he shot of school officials fumbling through a meeting. School officials called the Army to complain. His company commander, Capt. Brian Hawkins, called Grisham in to talk about it.

http://www.armytimes...ilitary-blogger

Here is a portrait of CJ Grisham provided by Michael Yon's website.

1gh9xi.jpg

Here are Mr. Yon's own words regarding Mr. Grisham including the fact that Grisham's war medal is a case of "Stolen Valor".

Grisham has harassed a long list of people, and has stalked me. Ignoring him did not work. Grisham contacted units with which I was embedded, and he impeded my wartime work. I continued to warn the Army that if they did not get this Soldier under control, there would be consequences. After some time, the inevitable occurred.

*snip*

Meanwhile, Grisham was a poster boy for Soldiers’ Angels, a charity organization that was later exposed funneling donations to a company partially owned by the son of the founder. Nepotism.

*snip*

Grisham complained on his blog and on Twitter of fear, stress, and mental issues while he was in Afghanistan, and the Army subsequently did the right thing and sent him home about halfway through his tour.

Grisham saw no combat in Afghanistan. He publicly insists that he completed his tour there. This is a lie.Given my vulnerability to a defamation lawsuit, I would not dare write these words if they were untrue.

If any of my statements were unsupportable, Grisham and Soldiers’ Angels could crush me in a court of law.

*snip*

Yet Grisham unleashed an advertising blitz. In 2009 the Army Times interviewed Grisham and published:

“…during the invasion of Iraq, Grisham took down a squad of Iraqis when his counterintelligence detachment got pinned down in an ambush. He earned the Bronze Star with ‘V’ after rushing through the gunfire by himself with just a 9mm pistol and a hand grenade.”

If true, Grisham should have received a Silver Star, and knowing Army Public Affairs, they would have run this up the flagpole.

Nowhere in Grisham’s records that have been released through FOIA is there any mention of this alleged action. No eyewitnesses have stepped forward to confirm his claims.

*snip*

While Grisham was deployed to Afghanistan, enemy bombs and bullets were literally killing Soldiers with whom I was embedded.

Rather than trying to figure out who was killing Soldiers in his area of responsibility, Grisham was laboring over his blog while stationed in the air-conditioned rear at Kandahar Airfield.

It has been reported that US citizens pay about one million dollars per Soldier per year to deploy to Afghanistan. While they are deployed, troops should work, and most do.

But while we were getting blown up and shot, Grisham was blogging thousands of words, including:

“Today, I listened to the advice of more than a few people and finally went to the TMC and Combat Stress hospital. My right hand hasn’t stopped twitching after nearly a month and it’s beyond irritating. I’m not sleeping, not eating, and highly irritable. I’ve been under a lot of stress and feel like many of those above me are just making things worse. So, for three hours today, I sat and got to revisit many issues related to my PTSD, depression, and anxiety as well as some new ones.”

http://www.michaelyo...nd-analysis.htm

CJ Grisham after the most recent incident showed up at a Templeton City Council to ramble on about 30.06 signs while claiming he was falsely arrested.

At the 1 minute mark look at the blank stares from the city councilmembers. He then goes on to harangue city officials.

[media=]

[/media]

There is now no need to elaborate on the venom he has spewed as a blogger towards homosexuals in the military.

In 2005 in California he took a speeding ticket all the way to their state Supreme Court. [link]

Unfortunately he was likely ordered to conduct torture on Iraqi's using music during the early stages of the war there in the early '00s. [link]

While he might win his court case it appears he is a loose cannon and it will be only a matter of time before he is in more hot water of his own cooking.

These soldiers, while most likely suffering from PTSD, do not get a free pass once they begin harassing others.

While many supporters might show up for him there are plenty more people here who will not show up and disagree with his tactics, attitude, and behavior.

Yes in the commonwealth you do have the right to an attorney before you say anything the same as pleading the fith. We also at least hear in Canada don`t have random check stops that ask for papers and if we did we have the same right to refuse unless suspected of a crime. Every lawyer in the western world will advise you not to talk to the police as incriminating oneself is so easy to do even it your completly innocent. Your word vs a cops will never be listened to in a court.

I agree with Yamato by knowing your rights you can deffend them, not knowing them you will lose them.

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 2

Whether Grisham's a veteran or what someone thinks of his Bronze Star, all the blogging to units in Afghanistan, his charitable work and all the attempt being made at a smear job above, it doesn't even have anything to do with his right to possess firearms, or the rifle he was carrying which wasn't against the law where he was carrying it. No wonder the police are having such problems getting charges out. This incident was over two months ago. What are they waiting for? Charging someone with "resisting arrest" without another charge you're being arrested for is absurd. You obviously can't be "resisting arrest" unless you're already being arrested for something! So what is it? What crime did Grisham commit? Grisham looks like a fine citizen based on the information that's been provided.

Great speech to the City Council too. I heard in his speech that only 0.18% of crime is attributed to CHL carriers. That's a fascinating statistic. Anyone wanting to focus on preventing crime in Texas should look at the non-CHL carriers which are responsible for 99.8% of total crime.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Reports/ConvictionRatesReport2011.pdf

Most officers, especially in rural areas of Texas, are going to be pro-gun. In fact the arresting officer's side gig is as a concealed handgun license instructor.

In 2005 in California he took a speeding ticket all the way to their state Supreme Court. [link]

Unfortunately he was likely ordered to conduct torture on Iraqi's using music during the early stages of the war there in the early '00s. [link]

bravo, another post full of lies. you just discredited antiguners even more. another fail.

please provide link to " In fact the arresting officer's side gig is as a concealed handgun license instructor",

also there is no mention of his name in loud music link.

your lies discredit even little truth you say, Google black swan fallacy.

keep on doing what you doing, you do huge favor to progun movement. in an argument dumb opponent is better than strong ally.

btw he is absolutely right to take speeding ticket to ussc, you don't back off if you right, something someone with sheepish mentality like yours will never understand.

Edited by aztek

I seen this before really good video the guy is right, but stay out of trouble and don't be a wise guy lol

• Like 1