Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

101M Get Food Aid from Federal Gov’t;

Dredimus

The number of Americans receiving subsidized food assistance from the federal government has risen to 101 million, representing roughly a third of the U.S. population.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that a total of 101,000,000 people currently participate in at least one of the 15 food programs offered by the agency, at a cost of $114 billion in fiscal year 2012.

That means the number of Americans receiving food assistance has surpassed the number of full-time private sector workers in the U.S.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were 97,180,000 full-time private sector workers in 2012.

LINKAGE

That's because the economy sucks!

• Like 1

Thats a lot of people depending on government aid...

• Like 3

and another demonstration that something has gone horribly wrong in the world's richest country.

• Like 1

Or because food is getting expensive to buy for families

• Like 1

Or because food is getting expensive to buy for families

There is no place in the world where the ratio average income/food is as low as in the US. The problem is that most people don't make the average income.

• Like 4

Imagine what $10 worth of vegetable seeds, responsibility, community spirit and some effort would do for this problem.

Food prices are going up quite a bit though. I shop at Aldi, which is a no-brand discount grocery store basically. 6 months ago I could fill a cart for $70. Now it's usually $100.

• Like 4

The price of food and the things that it takes just to live are going up way faster than salaries. Even if you are working so many don't make enough to get by. If your employees are having to rely on food stamps you may not be paying them enough.

Wal-Marts told DC lawmakers if they raise the minimum wage they won't be opening stores there.

http://www.washingto...id=pm_local_pop

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 4

Oh you just do not get it....you can take away the internet....you can restrict driving and travellll....but folks really listen up when their bely s growling....

Look folks.....

It does not matter if you are on the side that says gov is trying to control people.....or the side that says this is a corporate subsidy that allows them to pay lower wages....

It is totally unsustainable....period.

eventually....this sytem as it stands....is going to force everyone....regardless of income level.....to beg the GOV for food....

This is the final solution.....and the solution is to kill off everyone that disagrees with the regime...

you think I am kidding.....

Have a nice dandelion salad tonight and make sure to save some for tomorrow.....otherwise you are out of here in less than a month....

It's came full circle and the sheep have been too stupid to see it....

You actually want nutritional food to be sustained....you better shut you mouth and do what you are told.....

• Like 2

This is the final solution.....and the solution is to kill off everyone that disagrees with the regime...

...I was with you up until that point.

• Like 1

well

...I was with you up until that point.

That's fine...just hide and watch...you can't feed you family?....we can help....oh wait....you are a registered republican...I'm afraid we see that you have some unpaid parking tickets....we have to deny your benefits until this is and the penalties are paid....

You are sheep_zps4b615e7e.gifif you think it will not go something like I am describing.

When they have you by the belly....you will do exactly as you are told or you will starve....it's that simple....

If you do not see this...or think it is impossible....you my friend...know nothing of history....over 20 million Russians starved for disagreeing with the regime....you think you are in a better place than they were?

• Like 2

Eating the cheapest I'm comfortable with(still getting foods I like and drinking mostly water with an occasional soda) I spend around 50-100 a month on food on myself alone. Factor in a family of 4, and not eating the cheapest you can by making almost all your meals from scratch, and that starts to add up to possibly over 400 a month.

• Like 3

My husband hunts, and I have a garden, plus we have fresh, free range eggs, and it really saves on our grocery bill.....We also have a calf slaughtered every few months, so fresh meat! I can pretty much cook venison anyway you want. Grinding it up into hamburger meat (just need extra fat) is something I do quite often.

I want a diary cow so I can make homemade cheese and butter.....

We have a local diary farm that sells amazing milk, and cream, butter and cheese.

My mouth is starting to water....

• Like 2

That's true... but also.. that's a lot of agricultural and retail food providers depending on those SAME dollars. ... * WHO GETS THE MONEY?

..* that has become the question i always ask myself when i want to understand how and why most legislation REALLY gets passed.

Edited by lightly

Eating the cheapest I'm comfortable with(still getting foods I like and drinking mostly water with an occasional soda) I spend around 50-100 a month on food on myself alone. Factor in a family of 4, and not eating the cheapest you can by making almost all your meals from scratch, and that starts to add up to possibly over 400 a month.

Yes it does and it seems to be going up every month.

My husband hunts, and I have a garden, plus we have fresh, free range eggs, and it really saves on our grocery bill.....We also have a calf slaughtered every few months, so fresh meat! I can pretty much cook venison anyway you want. Grinding it up into hamburger meat (just need extra fat) is something I do quite often.

I want a diary cow so I can make homemade cheese and butter.....

We have a local diary farm that sells amazing milk, and cream, butter and cheese.

My mouth is starting to water....

To bad you live in Texas I think our two families would get along quite well.

• Like 1

That's true... but also.. that's a lot of agricultural and retail food providers depending on those SAME dollars. ... * WHO GETS THE MONEY?

..* that has become the question i always ask myself when i want to understand how and why most legislation REALLY gets passed.

I once had a friend who complained about farmers getting tax breaks I told him I did think farmers should pay any taxes they grow stuff I eat. you could almost see the light turn on.

• Like 1

It's surprising what a few hundred square feet of garden can produce veggie wise and how much money you can save. It doesn't take a lot of land to grow a large amount of food and every thing you grow is money you save. Get digging people. :)

• Like 1

It's surprising what a few hundred square feet of garden can produce veggie wise and how much money you can save. It doesn't take a lot of land to grow a large amount of food and every thing you grow is money you save. Get digging people. :)

It may sound crazy... but how long before the government starts regulating what you can and cant grow? Or HOW MUCH you can and cant crow?

• Like 2

well

That's fine...just hide and watch...you can't feed you family?....we can help....oh wait....you are a registered republican...I'm afraid we see that you have some unpaid parking tickets....we have to deny your benefits until this is and the penalties are paid....

You are sheep_zps4b615e7e.gifif you think it will not go something like I am describing.

When they have you by the belly....you will do exactly as you are told or you will starve....it's that simple....

If you do not see this...or think it is impossible....you my friend...know nothing of history....over 20 million Russians starved for disagreeing with the regime....you think you are in a better place than they were?

On a long enough timeline that may be the case, but I strongly believe armed rebellion will take place before that. Or a third world war.

• Like 1

i was just gonna mention about farmers, lightly beat me to it

I want 'farmers' to be able to make a good living... unfortunately , the smaller farms have been on the decline for decades . It's the MEGA corporate 'farmers' and mega corporate food retailers that i'm talking about when i say "Who gets the money". I know someone is going to say, or think, 'what about all the jobs associated with food production'? ... That is part of the cost of the big boys doing business, It's the profits left over from food handouts that make the true motives of the process questionable. ??

The same applies to energy subsidies to people... It's a wonderful thing for many.. But, again ... WHO GETS THE MONEY ?

The same applies to all the prescription drugs being dispensed at public expense.. by prescription happy doctors. WHO GETS the MONEY ?

The mark up in drugs is Outrageous !!! A pill that costs pennies to produce.. being sold for dollars. I know, i know.. Research... ya ya

the fact remains that prescription drug prices are just another thing that is out of control...

now someone will say...' free market ' ya ya.... what's 'free market ' about the government playing monkey in the middle with OUR money?

Dredimus said: It may sound crazy... but how long before the government starts regulating what you can and cant grow? Or HOW MUCH you can and cant crow?

.. that's been going on for as long as i can remember... i remember farmers in this area long ago talking about getting paid Not to grow specific crops in some strange governmental program to control quantities of certain crops. The claimed 'reasoning' behind it was to help keep prices stable or up or something.... I don't know.. maybe it was good policy.. but i doubt it... because , for one thing, they were spending OUR money to do it.

People keep saying too many are dependent on government... uh... and where does government get it's money??? From us .. so people are dependent on us.. tax payers.... not THE government per se.

Edited by lightly