Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worms regrow their decapitated heads

Still Waters

Some memories just won't die — and some can even be transferred to a whole new brain. Researchers at Tufts University have determined that a small, yellow worm known as a planarian, which has long been studied for its regenerative properties, is able to grow back a lot more than just its body parts: after the worm's small, snake-like head and neck are removed, its body will even regrow a brain that's capable of quickly relearning its lost skills.

http://www.theverge....er-decapitation

I guess all those with 2 functioning neurons can do the same...

How in God's realm is any being able to reproduce without the very neocortex that requires the very central nervous system's managing director that directs every function.I was willing to walk away from this but now,I want to ask many questions.! LOL If you were left without a body & you only had the head & brain,a brain & no body,how would you fair?Maybe we would have been given the answer that the cell/creature would be able to reproduce a new body.But now I am stumped!

Edited by GirlfromOz

How in God's realm is any being able to reproduce without the very neocortex that requires the very central nervous system's managing director that directs every function.I was willing to walk away from this but now,I want to ask many questions.! LOL If you were left without a body & you only had the head & brain,a brain & no body,how would you fair?Maybe we would have been given the answer that the cell/creature would be able to reproduce a new body.But now I am stumped!

Quite simple: there is not much to reproduce:

250px-Earthworm_nervous_system.png

As I said, two neurons.

• Like 1

lol i read it " women " regrow their decapitated heads :D

i must have fasted longer than i should

• Like 1

This can happen when you don't have much of a brain. The rest of the body can function without it.

I'm sure many humans could reproduce something similar..

Wow, I've heard of, say, tail or limb regeneration, but it's brain? Amazing.

But, just how could it do that without at least a partial brain to guide the regeneration? Seems weird.

Maybe in some simple creatures the "brain" is not fully localized in the head, but distributed in the rest of the body. Heck. I don't know.

Wow, I've heard of, say, tail or limb regeneration, but it's brain? Amazing.

But, just how could it do that without at least a partial brain to guide the regeneration? Seems weird.

Maybe in some simple creatures the "brain" is not fully localized in the head, but distributed in the rest of the body. Heck. I don't know.

cockroaches can live without heads for 9 days and when they die it's because of thirst

bugs are just weird

Reminds me of cryogenics.