Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If Races Were Reversed

No Censorship

Let's say that Trayvon Martin was of European and Latin American descent. Let's say that George Zimmerman has completely SSA ancestry. What would the media coverage be like? Would the story even be a blip on the network news radar screens?

what's SSA [sub-Saharan] Ancestry DM?

It means Black African, ancestry which is "sub" the Sahara. Some Africans are Caucasoid. Moroccans and Tunisians are two examples. Their forebears evolved in regions above the famous desert (to make a long story short).

• Like 1

Let's say that Trayvon Martin was of European and Latin American descent. Let's say that George Zimmerman has completely SSA ancestry. What would the media coverage be like? Would the story even be a blip on the network news radar screens?

Imo no it would not even register. I see riots in the streets.

They will lessen the charge from 2nd dergree murder to manslaughter and look out.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Race isn't the only issue making the case controversial, it's a factor...

If we did a full switch of the circumstances, including the weapon, the tea etc. etc. People would still be highly ticked off that a full grown man would shoot an unarmed teen. Maybe not the outrage we have seen, but there would still be a problem.

As for the race card, both parties were equally wrong. I don't support how either person viewed people of other races.

Zimmerman obviously had an issue with black people, and Martin obviously had an issue with white people. Quite frankly it bothers me to see that we are this far along and still seeing racial discrimination. I'm not for discrimination based on gender, culture, religion, ethnicity or any other sort. This is all ridiculous, and highly idiotic. We all live in the same world, and we all have to coexist, so screw the discrimination and treat each other with respect.

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 2

They will lessen the charge from 2nd dergree murder to manslaughter and look out.

Maybe, but I think any conviction may be enough to stop the worst of the violence. Only a full acquittal would result in cities burning. Just my opinion. As to the race angle - if no black was involved OR if the trigger man had been black, the whole event would never have gotten any traction at all. It's a sickening double standard.
  • Like 2

Florida could have charged Zimmerman with manslaughter, and he possibly would have been convicted. Negligent homicide might have been another possibility. The second-degree murder charge was self-defeating and unwise, and the prosecution should have known better than to shoot for the moon like they did. By the way, I doubt that there will be huge, widespread riots if GZ is found to be not guilty. Americans, of all races and viewpoints, don't condone senseless acts of vandalism and violence. There might be a few isolated cases scattered around the country, but they'll pale in comparison to past riots. You'll probably see several clips of flash mobs on You Tube, if anything. Of course, the media will hype things as much as possible.

If we did a full switch of the circumstances, including the weapon, the tea etc. etc. People would still be highly ticked off that a full grown man would shoot an unarmed teen. Maybe not the outrage we have seen, but there would still be a problem.

As for the race card, both parties were equally wrong. I don't support how either person viewed people of other races.

INDIVIDUALS might be as upset but the media would not have swarmed and given the low info types a spectacle to become enraged over.
  • Like 1

Florida could have charged Zimmerman with manslaughter, and he possibly would have been convicted. Negligent homicide might have been another possibility. The second-degree murder charge was self-defeating and unwise, and the prosecution should have known better than to shoot for the moon like they did. By the way, I doubt that there will be huge, widespread riots if GZ is found to be not guilty. Americans, of all races and viewpoints, don't condone senseless acts of vandalism and violence. There might be a few isolated cases scattered around the country, but they'll pale in comparison to past riots. You'll probably see several clips of flash mobs on You Tube, if anything. Of course, the media will hype things as much as possible.

Apparently the prosecution gets a couple of bites at the apple here. They go for the life sentence but can fall back to the 30 year deal if need be. I'm glad I don't live in the state.

I agree that race isn't the only factor. It was made to be the primary one by the dishonest elements of the media, though, as they had an agenda and narrative to continue. It was quite transparent, but it certainly was not surprising. All of that said, they likely would have ignored it if the ethnicities were reversed.

• Like 1

Maybe so however in most cases of possible peaceful protest rallies or riots provacateurs are used for agenda. The media are great at it.

• Like 1

Maybe, but I think any conviction may be enough to stop the worst of the violence. Only a full acquittal would result in cities burning. Just my opinion. As to the race angle - if no black was involved OR if the trigger man had been black, the whole event would never have gotten any traction at all. It's a sickening double standard.

Of course, there are double standards and hypocrisy. Look at the Duke case (did Nancy Grace ever apologize for her false accusations?). Watch "Dr. Drew" with a barf bag at the ready. Despite the best efforts of such agitators, I doubt that there will be many riots.

I agree that race isn't the only factor. It was made to be the primary one by the dishonest elements of the media, though, as they had an agenda and narrative to continue. It was quite transparent, but it certainly was not surprising. All of that said, they likely would have ignored it if the ethnicities were reversed.

Not really, there are plenty more cases that get hyped up and large reactions that are not based around ethnicity, but by adults abusing minors.. As for what they're trying him for, I believe it to be fair to be tried for what the law says he did.. I just feel that the prosecution has let us down yet again. Their performance was quite pathetic imo. I believe that when someone is charged with murder the prosecution has to bring the heat, we are talking about a person's life after all... But the prosecution seemed lacking.

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 1

Of course, there are double standards and hypocrisy. Look at the Duke case (did Nancy Grace ever apologize for her false accusations?). Watch "Dr. Drew" with a barf bag at the ready. Despite the best efforts of such agitators, I doubt that there will be many riots.

I'm not saying that Grace and Pinsky are hoping for riots. They exploit tragic events for ratings, though. If celebrities, gender, race, etc. are involved, so much the better for cable news talking heads. They'll be sure to give their preordained opinions, facts be damned.

• Like 2

Not really, there are plenty more cases that get hyped up and large reactions that are not based around ethnicity, but by adults abusing minors.. As for what they're trying him for, I believe it to be fair to be tried for what the law says he did.. I just feel that the prosecution has let us down yet again. Their performance was quite pathetic imo. I believe that when someone is charged with murder the prosecution has to bring the heat, we are talking about a person's life after all... But the prosecution seemed lacking.

They hype all kinds of stories, especially ones that involve sex. Look at the Arias case. However, the coverage and reporting would be nil if a crime was Black-on-Black or Black-on-White. I have no doubt about it.

• Like 3

hang on,

are you saying that if a black man shot a white kid it WOULDN'T have made the six o'clock news??

i'm confused.

hang on,

are you saying that if a black man shot a white kid it WOULDN'T have made the six o'clock news??

i'm confused.

Maybe a 30 second bit on the news. White people don`t have Al Sharptons or the ilk.

• Like 1

If they where both white or both African American the media would not even report this.

• Like 3

Lets be honest...it's the American south. If Zimmerman was black and Trayvon was white, Zimmerman would already be doing life in prison.

• Like 3

hang on,

i'm confused.

To clear your confusion, it would not be a national media obsession. It would be relegated to the local news outlets in or around the locale in which the crime took place. I doubt that Dr. Drew would cover it on his show each night. He likely wouldn't even mention it.

• Like 1

Lets be honest...it's the American south. If Zimmerman was black and Trayvon was white, Zimmerman would already be doing life in prison.

Let's be honest....that's BS. However, there would be much less sympathy from progressive activists, as well as the media.

well, all i can say is that i'm glad i live in a country where the shooting of a kid would be considered 'a bad thing' regardless of the colours of the people involved.

our news coverage would seem to be woefully behind the times.....

thank the gods.

• Like 1

well, all i can say is that i'm glad i live in a country where the shooting of a kid would be considered 'a bad thing' regardless of the colours of the people involved.

our news coverage would seem to be woefully behind the times.....

thank the gods.

I tend to agree with your view but we are talking of a nation with almost 320 million and a racial drift. I`m in Canada and yes a kid shot would be making national news but this is not the UK or Canada. I read this morning since feb of this year over 17000 people have been shot in the US.

Edited by The Silver Thong

SEVENTEEN THOUSAND??

in six months!!

i'm glad were just a nation of drunken hooligans who beat each other up on saturday night and then buy each other a beer afterwards!

SEVENTEEN THOUSAND??

in six months!!

i'm glad were just a nation of drunken hooligans who beat each other up on saturday night and then buy each other a beer afterwards!

I read it on this very site but did not copy the link probably in the pro guns save people thread. Ya 17000 dead on US soil. Thats more troops than the UK has in afgahnistan. So a shooting in the US on national t.v. over a kid is generaly an agenda based on politics and propaganda.

• Like 2