Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: "Conspiracy Theorists" Sane,

regeneratia

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/07/12/313399/conspiracy-theorists-vs-govt-dupes/

New studies: ‘Conspiracy theorists’ sane; government dupes crazy, hostile

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

Bring it on, folks.

Give us your thoughts.

• Like 6

I'm not really surprised at the results of the study, but it is refreshing to read it.

The fanatics are the ones who believe such a crazy story as the government so often tells.

Rather reminds me of the old tale of The Emperor's New Clothes, except that more and more of the crowd is now realizing that indeed, the emperor is butt-nekkid. :-*

• Like 7

Finding out people can think for themselves scares the living crap out of the government and their sheep, especially the main stream media.

I tihink they don't like it when we think they have lied to us, while they lie more than they tell the truth.

• Like 1

I don't really know what "Press TV" is, whether it's one of those "alternative" sites that use phrases like "MSM", but even if it wasn't, from the tone of that headline I would imagine it was. It really doesn't do their credibility, assuming they do want credibility, much good to use phrases like "Government dupes", it really doesn't, it makes them sound like Alex Jones. As a consequence therefore, one would have to question the objectivity of that story.

• Like 3

I tihink they don't like it when we think they have lied to us, while they lie more than they tell the truth.

they will always hide info from us to keep us dumiefied

• Like 1

I don't really know what "Press TV" is, whether it's one of those "alternative" sites that use phrases like "MSM", but even if it wasn't, from the tone of that headline I would imagine it was. It really doesn't do their credibility, assuming they do want credibility, much good to use phrases like "Government dupes", it really doesn't, it makes them sound like Alex Jones. As a consequence therefore, one would have to question the objectivity of that story.

Kind of a government backed news group who hates Israel and anything West related, Like North Korea's offspring

Kind of a government backed news group who hates Israel and anything West related, Like North Korea's offspring

What a wondrously simplistic and inaccurate statement.

You should have stopped at 'group'.

• Like 1

http://www.presstv.i...-vs-govt-dupes/

New studies: ‘Conspiracy theorists’ sane; government dupes crazy, hostile

Recent studies by psychologists and social scientists in the US and UK suggest that contrary to mainstream media stereotypes, those labeled “conspiracy theorists” appear to be saner than those who accept the official versions of contested events.

Bring it on, folks.

Give us your thoughts.

That is debatable to some extent because there have been conspiracy theorist who've made claims that wasn't supported by real evidence. Real evidence speaks louder than words.

• Like 2

why do you work for them?

It is no secret that the government has lied to us from time to time, but then again, conspiracy theorist have been known to use references from conspiracy websites that continue to lie and mislead people on a constant basis. Conspiracy theorist were caught using known hoaxed videos and photos in their arguments and I can list prime examples to make my point very clear.

I've caught a few conspiracy theorist red-handed as they pushed false information and misleading information as related to the world of aviation and I suspect that some of them knew exactly that the information they were posting was totally false.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this article! :tu:

I found this part intriguing:

Both of these findings are amplified in the new book Conspiracy Theory in America by political scientist Lance deHaven-Smith, published earlier this year by the University of Texas Press. Professor deHaven-Smith explains why people don’t like being called “conspiracy theorists”: The term was invented and put into wide circulation by the CIA to smear and defame people questioning the JFK assassination! “The CIA’s campaign to popularize the term ‘conspiracy theory’ and make conspiracy belief a target of ridicule and hostility must be credited, unfortunately, with being one of the most successful propaganda initiatives of all time.”

In other words, people who use the terms “conspiracy theory” and “conspiracy theorist” as an insult are doing so as the result of a well-documented, undisputed, historically-real conspiracy by the CIA to cover up the JFK assassination. That campaign, by the way, was completely illegal, and the CIA officers involved were criminals; the CIA is barred from all domestic activities, yet routinely breaks the law to conduct domestic operations ranging from propaganda to assassinations.

Why does that not surprise me?

This was insightful too:

In the same issue of ABS, University of Buffalo professor Steven Hoffman adds that anti-conspiracy people are typically prey to strong “confirmation bias” - that is, they seek out information that confirms their pre-existing beliefs, while using irrational mechanisms (such as the “conspiracy theory” label) to avoid conflicting information.

The extreme irrationality of those who attack “conspiracy theories” has been ably exposed by Communications professors Ginna Husting and Martin Orr of Boise State University. In a 2007 peer-reviewed article entitled“Dangerous Machinery: ‘Conspiracy Theorist’ as a Transpersonal Strategy of Exclusion,” they wrote:

“If I call you a conspiracy theorist, it matters little whether you have actually claimed that a conspiracy exists or whether you have simply raised an issue that I would rather avoid… By labeling you, I strategically exclude you from the sphere where public speech, debate, and conflict occur.”

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 4

Kind of funny that the CT crowd needs a study to tell themselves they are sane...just saying lol

• Like 5

The same study states that believers of the official conspiracy are not sane.

Care to find a study that agrees with your confirmation bias and doesn't upset your world view?

• Like 1

Oh? Does it now? Does it, really?

Here's the full study - here. Do feel free to show everyone exactly where it states that "believers of the official conspiracy are not sane".

Heck. I'd even take a "Conspiracy theorists are more sane".

But since neither the words "sane" or "sanity" exist within the whole study - then, best of luck with that.

• Like 4

Have you read any of their articles before? Presstv is hosted off an Iranian web domain. In 2009 they had a news article about holocaust denialism.

The writer of the article in the OP is a known 9/11 truth activist with a misleading article title.

Where are the links to the studies the writer used to determine the conclusion? Or are we supposed to take his word for it?

• Like 2

Kind of funny that the CT crowd needs a study to tell themselves they are sane...just saying lol

I scoffed at the title, especially considering some of the insane theories the CT crowd has come up with the past 12 years.

Ie....reptilian NWO, numerology significance, evidence of foreknowledge in movies...etc.

• Like 1

@Professor Buzzkill you have no idea what would upset my world view as I have not shared it with you.

Have you read other articles written by Kevin Barrett?

If not here is one for you to analyze:

http://www.darkmoon.me/2013/where-have-all-the-towers-gone-by-dr-kevin-barrett/

I scoffed at the title, especially considering some of the insane theories the CT crowd has come up with the past 12 years.

I agree! :tu:

How sane is it to claim that a cruise missile took out the Pentagon despite the fact that scattered wreckage within and outside the Pentagon are clearly from an airliner? How sane is it to claim that nukes were used at ground zero despite the fact that surrounding buildings remained standing and lack of high levels of radioactive residue? Nukes produce temperatures in the millions of degrees and yet, people were standing within close proximity of the WTC buildings as they collapse, and never mind that no one heard real bomb explosions as the WTC buildings collapsed.

How sane is it to claim that the moon landings were hoaxed when overwhelming evidence, such as satellite photos of the moon's surface and moon rocks have shown that men did in fact, walk and drove on the moon?

• Like 1

Care to find a study that agrees with your confirmation bias and doesn't upset your world view?

It seems whomever does the study ,calls the other side nutters.

There's a few threads of studies claiming CTs are all mentally incompetent ,but they have to say that .

For CTs to do the study ,they should not name call,and just stick to the facts . That makes it more credible .

• Like 3

I agree! :tu:

How sane is it to claim that a cruise missile took out the Pentagon despite the fact that scattered wreckage within and outside the Pentagon are clearly from an airliner? How sane is it to claim that nukes were used at ground zero despite the fact that surrounding buildings remained standing and lack of high levels of radioactive residue? Nukes produce temperatures in the millions of degrees and yet, people were standing within close proximity of the WTC buildings as they collapse, and never mind that no one heard real bomb explosions as the WTC buildings collapsed.

How sane is it to claim that the moon landings were hoaxed when overwhelming evidence, such as satellite photos of the moon's surface and moon rocks have shown that men did in fact, walk and drove on the moon?

How can you know if the moon landing is not a huge hoax ?

Who knows. Claiming conspiracy theorists are not sane because they think outside the box,is as good as saying all sheeple who swallow everything the govt spoon feeds the public to keep them in line ,are just idiots for being so gullible .

*shrugs*

What's good for the goose ...... .

• Like 3

Overwhelming evidence from around the world. Countries, such as India, Russia, Japan and China, have provided photo and other evidence that the United States did in fact, sent men to the moon.

600px-Apollo_12_LRO.jpg

In addition, the Surveyor 3 camera was returned to earth.

300px-Surveyor3camera.jpg

Surveyor 3 camera brought back from the Moon by Apollo 12

In addition, my flying buddy and close friend, a retired Air Force colonel, was on the flight crew that flew the Apollo 14 astronauts from Pago Pago to Texas upon completion of their moon mission and his flight originated from my base in California.

Furthermore, the former Soviet Union during the Cold War confirmed the United States sent astronauts to the moon and that is very significant in itself.

Who knows. Claiming conspiracy theorists are not sane because they think outside the box,is as good as saying all sheeple who swallow everything the govt spoon feeds the public to keep them in line ,are just idiots for being so gullible .

*shrugs*

I am not implying saying that all conspiracy theorist are insane by any means, but there are those who are honestly asking the right questions, however, there are others who have simply disregarded undeniable evidence and substituted false and misleading information that didn't fit the real evidence.

Edited by skyeagle409
  • Like 2

*shrugs*

The moon landings are a well documented and confirmed historical fact.

There is a difference between thinking outside the box and blindly throwing opinions without providing evidence.

• Like 1

The moon landings are a well documented and confirmed historical fact.

There is a difference between thinking outside the box and blindly throwing opinions without providing evidence.

Lots of stuff is faked for the sake of the public . At the time of the first moon landing ,anyone on that vehicle would have been exposed to rays that would have greatly reduced their life spans,by decades ,but that was not the case.

The possibility the moon landing was filmed in a desert somewhere is not out of the realm of possibility .

Maybe the Titanic didn't even sink .

We are never told the whole truth is the point . To believe that we are,is foolhardy .

But hey,whatever works for ya .

I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn too .cheap ...interested ?

:lol: