Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Writing Computer Programs Using Ordinary

7 posts in this topic

In a pair of recent papers, researchers at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory have demonstrated that, for a few specific tasks, it's possible to write computer programs using ordinary language rather than special-purpose programming languages.

The work may be of some help to programmers, and it could let nonprogrammers manipulate common types of files -- like word-processing documents and spreadsheets -- in ways that previously required familiarity with programming languages.

http://www.scienceda...30711135656.htm

Posted (edited)

Anybody familiar with the old programming languages knows that COBOL was 90% natural language. The dyslexia really only started with C.

Edited by questionmark

....or like BASIC Questionmark?

10 print "shrooma is coooooll"

20 goto 10

aaahh, those were the days.....

:-)

PASCAL wasn't too bad. It seemed to add structure to your code. I always liked that over BASIC.

But these days I'm getting use to Python. I like it more than any of the current or older Programming Languages, although I was big fan of PASCAL at one time.

....or like BASIC Questionmark?

10 print "shrooma is coooooll"

20 goto 10

aaahh, those were the days.....

:-)

Basic was intended for people to understand programming (after all the name came from Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). But as Purifier points out, it had many drawbacks, like leading to the creation of Spaghetti code. Something that its predecessors (and some successors) avoided. There are some basic compilers that can take it up with C compilers any day (like XBasic), but don't expect that programming with it is as simple as your example above.

i used to use BASIC to programme games on an old VIC 20 back in the day. did a pretty good asteroids rip-off with full colour & sound and everything!

but now it's easier to buy a playstation.....

i used to use BASIC to programme games on an old VIC 20 back in the day. did a pretty good asteroids rip-off with full colour & sound and everything!

but now it's easier to buy a playstation.....

The Vic 20 and the Commodore 64,for me will be the golden days of home computers.