Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could global warming lead to 10ft reptiles?

Still Waters

Scientists previously thought that large meat-eating dragons grew larger than their herbivore cousins because of a lack of predators.

These findings now from from the University of California and University of Nebraska-Lincoln suggest that a warmer climate is needed for large lizards to grow - and that global warming could cause this to happen again.

http://www.dailymail...do-dragons.html

This is an interesting hypothesis, but it does seem to contradict itself somewhat (from the same article):

"Because today’s largest lizards, like the carnivorous Komodo Dragon of Komodo Island, Japan, are found soley on mammal-free islands, scientists have suggested that lizards can grow large only in the absence of large mammals that compete with them or eat them".

There are a large number of Lizard species evolved into temperate and warmer climes (with abundant vegetation) that have not been subject to gigantism, but are still subject to predation by other species. Whilst the majority are carnivorous, a significant minority, of mostly iguana species, are totally herbivorous.

In particular, the Galapagos Marine Iguanas that feed off of seaweed, and live in temperate climes with no low extremes of temperature have not evolved gigantism traits even in the absence of mammalian predation. The supply of seaweed is constant, the air temperatures are relatively high (as is the seawater temperature), higher than average Jurassic era temperatures.

So, I would say that these are just a couple of speculative statements that appear to have come from nowhere and based on little actual research. IMO

• Like 1

Now that would be a morally acceptable reason for carrying a big gun around with you.

• Like 1

But doesn't it take a higher oxygen level along with the warmer temps for reptiles to grow that big.

• Like 1

But doesn't it take a higher oxygen level along with the warmer temps for reptiles to grow that big.

No, the Komodo Dragon is a good example, except they are carnivores

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

No, the Komodo Dragon is a good example, except they are carnivores

Yes they are big but if we had the oxygen levels they did back in the day of the dinosaurs would they be much bigger. I have read that higher oxygen levels allowed them to grow so much bigger.
  • Like 2

Yes they are big but if we had the oxygen levels they did back in the day of the dinosaurs would they be much bigger. I have read that higher oxygen levels allowed them to grow so much bigger.

am with you on that, i thought the higher oxygen level allowed they to grow massive. or played a part.

• Like 2

Now that would be a morally acceptable reason for carrying a big gun around with you.

Oh, don't even start.

There are a ton of morally acceptable reasons, but only those that choose to blind themselves or wish to rely on government ignore the real usages.

There is no reason to even bring that up here, since you wouldn't even know or wish to defend yourself against a giant lizard.

If you lived in the U.S now and know first-hand what the druggies and degenerates around here speak of-which I've had years of experience among them, listening- you'd want a gun.

You've lived through Vietnam. I applaud you. I know a lot who have been through the same and they'd laugh at your ridiculous arguments.

Anyhow, I find this thread to be a very informative and wonderful read. Thank you.

• Like 1

I think there are very few reasons one can morally justify having a gun. I guess a lot depends on one's moral attitude about killing. The remark I posted about big reptiles was not serious, and it's a little surprising that you took it that way.

I don`t think your kid`s kid`s grand children have to worry. I have a six foot boa and want him to grow to 8 ft but i doubt she will make it that big lol my tortise will live past me and I don`t think he will get much bigger.

The reason dino got so big was abaluetly due to oxygen levels and temp. Plus a food supply not messed up by humans.

• Like 1

I think there are very few reasons one can morally justify having a gun. I guess a lot depends on one's moral attitude about killing. The remark I posted about big reptiles was not serious, and it's a little surprising that you took it that way.

This is the third time I think you need to use a ;) people don`t get when your goofing.

• Like 1

I dare say a twelve-or-so foot lizard would be a specimen worth keeping alive, although in such a world there would probably be few of us left.

• Like 1

If alligators and crocs are reptiles, we already have 10 foot reptiles.

• Like 1

These findings now from from the University of California and University of Nebraska-Lincoln suggest that a warmer climate is needed for large lizards to grow - and that global warming could cause this to happen again.

Won't happen. Evolution, even the rapid evolution now being discussed, doesn't work that fast. Also, there's human impact to consider. If we continue to pollute the atmosphere, we could render the planet uninhabitable to most species. If we manage to destroy ourselves then photosynthesis will eventually restore the pre-warming status quo. And if we manage to take control of the climate and maintain it at a warmer-than-natural temperature, we will also produce adverse impacts on lizards. Doesn't look too good for lizards.

Doug

Won't happen. Evolution, even the rapid evolution now being discussed, doesn't work that fast. Also, there's human impact to consider. If we continue to pollute the atmosphere, we could render the planet uninhabitable to most species. If we manage to destroy ourselves then photosynthesis will eventually restore the pre-warming status quo. And if we manage to take control of the climate and maintain it at a warmer-than-natural temperature, we will also produce adverse impacts on lizards. Doesn't look too good for lizards.

Doug

600 million years from now there will be no photosynthesis, and all plants and trees will be no more. in little over a billion years, its goodnight Irene. with the sun being 10% brighter than today. and just to think a billion years is nothing on the true time scale of the universe. :cry:

• Like 1

Common guys we all know what we need for lizards to grow big ! A few nukes and there you got it ! GODZILLA will happen !

• Like 1