Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Violence and Social Media

and-then

Probably I'm grasping for an explanation here but I honestly felt that an acquittal in the Zimmerman trial would lead to mass violence. Apparently I was (thankfully) full of it. In thinking about it I realized the worst "venting" that was happening was on twitter, FB and in forums.

So what do you think? We know these media can fuel a revolution, can they defuse riots as well?

• Like 1

Hopefully the riots are contained to twitter. (That means they should stay there.)

It seems so.

Keep in mind it was not the traditional mainstream media alone which even called out for Zimmerman to be tried after the district attorney was not even going to charge him. It was social media.

So now we are seeing an "internet riot" where a part of an internet community are calling for riots that likely won't occur. We also have many calling for Zimmerman's head.

Group frustrations should not be confused with an unstable individual claiming he will commit violence against a community and where that individual is arrested.

This is similar to Tea Party types venting online about having a revolution.

If the government goes in and begins making mass arrests on either those calling for revolution or those calling for riots or Zimmerman's head then it could make things worse overall.

Now if a Tea Party type gathers guns and goes out in an attempt to use then then law enforcement should move in. Likewise if anyone actually begins rioting or someone catches up to Zimmerman then arrest them.

So far some put out video of a 2011 Canadian riot and claimed it was Miami.

Others are claiming that riots occurred in Oakland. There were some incidents but nothing approaching a riot. No SWAT, no riot police, no national guard, not even arrests.

Those involved quickly backed away. Seems a police car was spray painted but didn't even have its windows broken. Some are all rabidly claiming it was a riot but there does not seem to be any evidence.

So it does seem that in this case social media has defused a riot. So glad for it to.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

idk maybe they can stop violence because people vent all their frustration out on the web which gives them a feeling of at least saying their view. Which could stop them from feeling like they need to riot.

Wishful thinking but I might be right :)

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

What I don't understand is why we have a teenager who posts a sarcastic comment online about shooting up a school and gets jailed, yet their are idiots posting about killing people and rioting, and "tearing s*** up" yet they don't get investigated or jailed... Doesn't make sense to me....

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 3

What I don't understand is why we have a teenager who posts a sarcastic comment online about shooting up a school and gets jailed, yet their are idiots posting about killing people and rioting, and "tearing s*** up" yet they don't get investigated or jailed... Doesn't make sense to me....

I think if actual violence came as a result of specific calls online then we might see LE looking through some of that "meta data" that we've heard so much about, just prior to issuing arrest warrants.
  • Like 1

I think if actual violence came as a result of specific calls online then we might see LE looking through some of that "meta data" that we've heard so much about, just prior to issuing arrest warrants.

I just don't understand why, a teenager who made a sarcastic comment, who wasn't even serious about the threat, gets jail time....a 6 year old girl who talked about shooting her Hello, Kitty bubble gun gets accused of making terroristic threats, yet these idiots can talk about killing people, killing cops, and rioting and tearing **** up, but that's okay....

I don't understand it. The rules should apply to everyone, regardless of race....

• Like 1

I'd still be afraid for a long long time, if I was Zimmerman. But before you misinterpret that...

I don't expect any actions to come from someone who really cares about the issues raised at the trial, just some wannabee hero and fame hound who only cares about himself and his 15 minutes or cowards who again don't care about the issues raised at the trial and just do a hit and run.

• Like 3

I'd still be afraid for a long long time, if I was Zimmerman. But before you misinterpret that...

I don't expect any actions to come from someone who really cares about the issues raised at the trial, just some wannabee hero and fame hound who only cares about himself and his 15 minutes or cowards who again don't care about the issues raised at the trial and just do a hit and run.

I agree completely. This guy's life is OVER. He has no money to relocate and his face is plastered over the airwaves in every corner of the nation anyway. He has to know he cannot just get a job, even one he is qualified for...

My guess is that it doesn't end well for him but at least it will end with him as a free man - hopefully. It's a very dangerous precedent in the US when the media can brand and hound a man to his death. It may be about time for those who come under such scrutiny to start fighting back in whatever way is available to them. How DARE the media appoint themselves gods over a citizen's right's?

• Like 1

It's a very dangerous precedent in the US when the media can brand and hound a man to his death. It may be about time for those who come under such scrutiny to start fighting back in whatever way is available to them. How DARE the media appoint themselves gods over a citizen's right's?

I agree.

Think about this: Before a trial, or any evidence had been put forth, Lee Harvey Oswald, was considered guilty of President Kennedy's murder! Now, over 51% of Americans believe Oswald was innocent, not to mention, most people believe the couldn't have made those shots from the Texas School Book Depository.....Doesn't say much for our media, does it?

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 2

Maybe his friends and family will start a collection to get enough money together so maybe he could relocate to another country. There are parts of the US he could live and I think people would leave him alone like Alaska, Rocky Mountains, Ozarks, Appalachians, parts of Texas. Just stay away from the coastal regions and big cities.

• Like 1

It seems so.

Keep in mind it was not the traditional mainstream media alone which even called out for Zimmerman to be tried after the district attorney was not even going to charge him. It was social media.

So now we are seeing an "internet riot" where a part of an internet community are calling for riots that likely won't occur. We also have many calling for Zimmerman's head.

Group frustrations should not be confused with an unstable individual claiming he will commit violence against a community and where that individual is arrested.

This is similar to Tea Party types venting online about having a revolution.

If the government goes in and begins making mass arrests on either those calling for revolution or those calling for riots or Zimmerman's head then it could make things worse overall.

Now if a Tea Party type gathers guns and goes out in an attempt to use then then law enforcement should move in. Likewise if anyone actually begins rioting or someone catches up to Zimmerman then arrest them.

So far some put out video of a 2011 Canadian riot and claimed it was Miami.

Others are claiming that riots occurred in Oakland. There were some incidents but nothing approaching a riot. No SWAT, no riot police, no national guard, not even arrests.

Those involved quickly backed away. Seems a police car was spray painted but didn't even have its windows broken. Some are all rabidly claiming it was a riot but there does not seem to be any evidence.

So it does seem that in this case social media has defused a riot. So glad for it to.

Do not try to infuse the tea party to this in an attempt to associate the two. Twitter is full of idiots making clear and direct death threats with pictures of themselves with guns and knives. You want gun control, start with these idiots. And a cop car was smashed up real good, business fronts shattered and fires started in the streets and American flags were burned. It is not tea party conservatives who have an out of control violence issue and a lack of control gun issue.

The tweets. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/14/here-are-some-of-the-most-disturbing-tweets-following-zimmermans-not-guilty-verdict/

Oakland. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/14/oakland-demonstrators-burn-flags-smash-cop-car-after-zimmerman-verdict-photos/

• Like 2

People only talk crap they say we are going burn stuff down because of the verdict they are just full of it