Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Too good-looking for the law?

Zaphod222

Stupid, courts are stupid. How people make these kinds of decisions is beyond me. No matter what happened between them, it's wrongful dismissal.

• Like 1

Why did he hire her to begin with if he knows he can't control himself. This case is stupid, he's the one with a problem.

• Like 1

Maybe she should have hired this guy as her attorney:

• Like 1

I find this court decision quite mind-boggling.

So you can discriminate against people for being too pretty now? Would that work for ugly people too?

http://www.huffingto..._n_3518521.html

I don't think it was because of her looks, well not entirely..... I clicked on the link you provided, and within that same link, it took me to a short video interview with this former dental nurse... From her interview, she speaks about how she worked there for 10 years with no problems... She was asked about text messages from her boss? She replied saying that they were usually always about work etc.. It was only when the dentists wife noticed them texting each other, that was when he decided - Ok, you no longer need to work here.. It seems his wife may well have had something to do with it? This is just my own assumption from watching the video interview...I could be wrong, the woman doesn't say much...

I have a feeling there is more to this story than being told. Texts that are usually about work but not always I take. Maybe the wife did have a good reason for not wanting her around.

• Like 1

There are a few quite attractive ladies at my dentist, but I never wanted to sue them.

I guess I'm not the jealous type, or have someone to be jealous over. lol

• Like 1

I heard about this a while back. I'm sorry, but the dude is a scum bag.

If it is a right to work state, he could have chosen to let her go for any reason or no reason at all and nothing would have been said....there would be no legal backlash...that is what "right to work" states provide.

However...this dipshiz chose to say it was because he was a horn dog and found himself incapable of controlling his primal urges...what a d-bag. Since he chose to use this "excuse" then he should get all that is coming at him.

Let that be a lesson to all the other power abusers who think they can score some tang cause they are the boss..."this will not end well"...

ETA...unless this is a different case. I only browsed over the article cause it sounded just like the case I heard about a few months ago. The details back then were a little more skewed...so...I apologize if I have my cases mixed up.

Edited by Jeremiah65

I'm not saying this lady is ugly at all but I need to see more than a low-def webcam of her face and Sheldon's girlfriend Amy from the Big Bang Theory to see what all the fuss is about. Seriously, the boss is an idiot and likely had a whole lot of nothing when he had to fire her for what Becky's mom suggested so he just blurted out something stupid like guys tend to do now and then. However, if it's a right to work state he can fire her because her hair is blue or she gave him a dirty look and there isn't a whole lot she can do. Can you fire someone for being ugly in a right to work state? Not sure but I guess getting fired for good looks would fall in the same category if it were unjust. Far as I know the only times you can't fire someone in a right to work state is if it is based on their race, religion, sex or age.

It's a shame she lost her job but she has little else to be outraged over and in hindsight should be glad she isn't working for such a putz.

Edited by F3SS

sacked for being too good-looking?

story of my life.....

*sashays off to another thread*

:-)

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

I hope she doesnt find it difficult to get employment elsewhere..... lol.... this must be traumatising... scarred for life experience

There is some misunderstanding of this case.

Importantly, the ruling by the Iowa Supreme Court only applies to Iowa, not in any of the other 49 states in the U.S.

Secondly, the case involved the actual wording of the complaint. Thus, Iowa was bound to abide by rules.

I know, seems stupid, and of course this case is clearly stupid... to be fired for being too attractive.

In my opinion, her lawyer's messed up. Big time, by pressing the complaint issue as one of pure gender discrimination, which is not the case. Thus, the Iowa Supreme Court had no choice but to rule on the wording of their compaint, as opposed to the facts if competent lawyer's issued the complaint, using different wordings.

In other words, she definitely needs different, more competent lawyer's if she desires to press this issue forward, which, I think, should most certainly be done.

My hope is that, if possible(financially and otherwise) that this can be brought to the next step, which I think is a U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and eventually to the U.S Supreme Court.

Hopefully there is enough public opinion outcry at this point to get this moving forward and strip Iowa of that bizzare loophole.

Edited by pallidin

There is some misunderstanding of this case.

Importantly, the ruling by the Iowa Supreme Court only applies to Iowa, not in any of the other 49 states in the U.S.

Secondly, the case involved the actual wording of the complaint. Thus, Iowa was bound to abide by rules.

I know, seems stupid, and of course this case is clearly stupid... to be fired for being too attractive.

In my opinion, her lawyer's messed up. Big time, by pressing the complaint issue as one of pure gender discrimination, which is not the case. Thus, the Iowa Supreme Court had no choice but to rule on the wording of their compaint, as opposed to the facts if competent lawyer's issued the complaint, using different wordings.

In other words, she definitely needs different, more competent lawyer's if she desires to press this issue forward, which, I think, should most certainly be done.

My hope is that, if possible(financially and otherwise) that this can be brought to the next step, which I think is a U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and eventually to the U.S Supreme Court.

Hopefully there is enough public opinion outcry at this point to get this moving forward and strip Iowa of that bizzare loophole.

Public opinion? :rofl:

Today's opinion surround Zimmerman...Tomorrow's opinions will say ...oh yeah..Zimmerman...I remember that...most of the public never even will hear of this story....

Today's public is about as fickle as fickle can be....

I have a feeling there is more to this story than being told. Texts that are usually about work but not always I take. Maybe the wife did have a good reason for not wanting her around.

You seem to be one of the only people here that have looked deeper into the story... Everyone else seems to think she was fired over her looks lol...

About the text messages, she said that her boss usually just text about work or kids etc, nothing really personal... His wife worked in the surgery too, so it was put across that the moment the wife found out he was texting this nurse, it went down hill and she was fired..

I think ( and this is an assumption of my own ) something in the texts has annoyed the wife, and perhaps a row broke out? So he thinks, Ok I'll get rid of her, but I cannot say it's over some flirting and my wife going bonkers over texts, so I'll fire her for her looks.......after 10 years of service..!!!

Question - How do you decide that someone is too good looking for your place of work..after they have already worked for you for 10 years? His excuse isn't convincing...

• Like 1