Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curious Case of Déjà Vu

Still Waters

Déjà vu is a rare occurrence, but you know it when you feel it. As you walk through a new city for the first time, something familiar clicks in your mind, giving you pause. You’ve definitely been here before.

But you haven’t. So what gives?

Well, no one really knows for sure. The origin of déjà vu (French for “already seen”), a sense of familiarity with something entirely new, remains hidden somewhere deep in our brains. The phenomenon is difficult to study—most people, when they experience déjà vu, aren’t hooked up to a bunch of electrodes, with clipboard-toting researchers at the ready.

http://blogs.smithso...ase-of-deja-vu/

• Like 1

I used to get Deja-vu a lot.. It was awesome..

Then once day I came across an artificial similar to the one posted that explained it all away as a misfiring of the brain that makes reality feel like a memory.

I haven't had it since... :cry: The Magic died.. It was killed by logic..

I've had this strongly twice and both times scared the socks off me.Its really creepy.

I had dejavu inside a dream earlier. In the dream i recognised where i was, even though i was lucid enough to know i had never been there and i was lucid enough to say in the dream that i am having dejavu.

I have a slightly different view of dejavu though, i think it often gets confused with precog and astral dreaming. The difference is whether you can recall the origins of it or not. I had a spate of astral dreaming 2 years ago which this past month has been coming into my physical reality. I have been visiting numerous buildings/rooms/landscapes that i dreamed of about 2 years ago, but i had forgotten about. That is why i believe in astral dreaming.

I 'love it' when prople get creative with 'possible explanations' usually to explain away something without the effort to really figure out what it is. It really is a big problem in physicalist philosophy.

I have experiences this on occasion, and more than just a feeling of familiarity, I can start to predict what other people are going to say. I know what's comeing next. Many have this experience its just to random to study properly. I also get this feeling when looking at some distant mountain or draw that I am drawn to. I feel like I have already been there. Sometimes so powerful that I don't feel the need to explore it.

• Like 1

I've had deja vu ever since I was a child.

It doesn't freak me out.

It intrigues me.

I remember one time in particular, I unknowingly knew the outcome of half my day. But it was weird, even tho I knew something wasn't going to turn out in my favor, I couldn't necessarily change the outcome.

It's a bizarre phenomenon.

• 2 weeks later...

Déjà vu is a rare occurrence, but you know it when you feel it. As you walk through a new city for the first time, something familiar clicks in your mind, giving you pause. You’ve definitely been here before.

But you haven’t. So what gives?

Well, no one really knows for sure. The origin of déjà vu (French for “already seen”), a sense of familiarity with something entirely new, remains hidden somewhere deep in our brains. The phenomenon is difficult to study—most people, when they experience déjà vu, aren’t hooked up to a bunch of electrodes, with clipboard-toting researchers at the ready.

http://blogs.smithso...ase-of-deja-vu/

Someone once said that Deja Vu is the universe telling you that you are exactly where you're supposed to be in life...

Whenever I get Deja Vu I always have to start mouthing ever sentence that someone says(everyone who is a part of it.) And I'm always dead accurate when I do...

• 3 weeks later...

I had that feeling the first time I visited the French Quarter in New Orleans. My mother was surprised that I "knew" where certain buildings were and seemed familiar with the streets. Didn't freak me out though. I've never had another episode since.