Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why hunt for ghosts in the dark?

beelzebufo

I've recently started wondering why investigations of supposedly haunted areas always seem to have to be conducted at night. Being in the dark tends to put people on edge and more likely to see things that aren't there, especially since they can't see clearly. Wouldn't investigating at night only muddy any visual evidence that might be found?

It's not like ghosts only come out at night. I once investigated a house in broad daylight and saw some very strange things. Admittedly, I am only a very casual investigator, but does anyone actually have a good reason for investigating at night other than "it makes it scarier"?

• Like 1

It's so it's easier to fake things and pull the "I can hear footsteps" "something just touched my arm" without looking like a prize goose.

• Like 3

Probably has to due with campfire tales. Hunting spectres in the dark just 'feels right'. Try telling a scary ghost story in broad daylight, and you won't get half the reaction you would at night from your listeners.

• Like 1

Ghosts are transparent, so they can't wear a paper bag to cover their ugly faces. So it's polite to turn the light off.

• Like 2

I have no ideal except for effect. When I saw a ghost it was day and sunny.

Often wondered this myself as many people ive spoke too saw ghosts in broad daylight. As many have said it must be for effect and atmosphere. I cant image a ghost hunting show for example going out at 12pm to catch a ghost it just loses something.

That's simply because at night and in the dark you reduce the chances of noises and lights contaminations. You usually don't have lots of cars passing by and people talking on the street nor the sun comes through the windows ect.

Also, there is a believe in the paranomral world that deadtime 3:00 AM is the time of the day in which spirits are most active and likely to try to communicate. But I've not seen much solid evidence of that to be honest.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

You can investigate the paranormal in any time of day ore night. Investigators tend to investigate at a time when the apparition, spirit ghost has been reported.If the spirit is a residual haunting it will almost certainly repeat it self over and over again at the same time of day or night. Most people report a haunting that has happened at night only because most people are at work in the day and its only in the evening they are able to relax and hear or experience strange things.So if its reported as a haunting at 1am it will be investigated at that time.So the trend is people see ghosts at night so they are generally investigated at night. I investigate day and night but i also follow the trend. Hope this helps.

That's simply because at night and in the dark you reduce the chances of noises and lights contaminations.

Why is light a contaminant when looking for ghosts but not looking for other things? Light is how we see things. Looking for something in the dark because light contaminates the scene makes as much sense to me as wearing earplugs when listening to music to block contaminating noise.

Looking for ghosts in the dark seems to me intuitively more difficult because shadows, objects not properly lit up, etc. are much more likely to be misidentified as something else than if the place were properly lit up.

I mean, how often do people actually search for things in the dark because light "contaminates" their search?

• Like 1

Light is not a problem for paranormal investigations when using a full spectrum cameras .Visible light is only a very small part of the Electromagnetic spectrum that can be seen by humans. A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 390 to 700 nm.When using the right equipment for the investigation,wether its night or day you will still get the same results from a paranormal phenomina.

I do not think that investigating at day make it less likely to find evidences of ghosts. But there is some aspects beside the ritualistic side of it that makes ghost hunting in the dark preferable to paranormal investigators.

For one there is some debunking work that can be done more efficiently the dark. For instance if there some kind of light that appears in a room, you are able to see if it's a car coming down the street or the streetlamp reflecting ect. In the dark, you may be able to be see where it comes from and if it can be explained or not.

Alos you while investigating in a room in the dark, you do not have all sort of visual distraction that might disturb you and restrain you from getting a feel of the room.

I would say that some orbs which can sometimes be a sign of paranormal activity are most likely to be caught at night.

Lots of paranormal claims happen at night. When there is no noises and all is silent.

These are some reasons, you may not agree with them but it's all about how you are confortable investigating and more efficient. I am sure some groups out there investigate at days as well.

Edited by sam_comm

I would say that some orbs which can sometimes be a sign of paranormal activity are most likely to be caught at night.

Orbs are indeed more likely to be caught at night (or in any poorly lit conditions).

That's because orbs are nearly always caused by camera flash, which is much more likely to be activated when taking photos in the dark.

They do it for the creepy factor if a place in haunted in the night then it haunted in the day

• 2 weeks later...

Ghosts can be active at any time.. night or day - but if your looking at capturing evidence using the equipment we currently have available to buy, its better to use Full Spectrum Cameras, Night Vision (Infrared) - or even thermo cameras.. in the dark.

We've made contact with spirits in both.. but to try to 'prove it'.. or at least get some sort of evidence its best at night - when things are still and quiet. I did an investigation at the Edinburgh Vaults (Scotland,UK) during the day - but as it was underground it was just the same. Once we'd got the energies moving about a bit with some encouragement (music) - the invo was no different to being at night, even tho it was 10 in the morning.

Ghosts can be active at any time.. night or day - but if your looking at capturing evidence using the equipment we currently have available to buy, its better to use Full Spectrum Cameras, Night Vision (Infrared) - or even thermo cameras.. in the dark.

We've made contact with spirits in both.. but to try to 'prove it'.. or at least get some sort of evidence its best at night - when things are still and quiet. I did an investigation at the Edinburgh Vaults (Scotland,UK) during the day - but as it was underground it was just the same. Once we'd got the energies moving about a bit with some encouragement (music) - the invo was no different to being at night, even tho it was 10 in the morning.

I guess night investigations might make sense in heavily populated areas, but coming from a very small town in the middle of nowhere, I've always found it made more sense to investigate during the day. All the places I've investigated are pretty much just as quiet during the day as they are at night. I guess the best times to investigate vary depending on location.

I suppose it might be easier to see something invisible in the dark than in sunlight.

I've recently started wondering why investigations of supposedly haunted areas always seem to have to be conducted at night. Being in the dark tends to put people on edge and more likely to see things that aren't there, especially since they can't see clearly. Wouldn't investigating at night only muddy any visual evidence that might be found?

It's not like ghosts only come out at night. I once investigated a house in broad daylight and saw some very strange things. Admittedly, I am only a very casual investigator, but does anyone actually have a good reason for investigating at night other than "it makes it scarier"?

Many have asked this before...

I even asked, and point out that if you watch those fraud shows ( Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, Haunted Collector, Destination Truth, Fact or Faked ) the places they go investigate, when they do the interview first.....9 out of 10 times the witnesses saw things either with the lights on, or in the day time.....Almost all ways during working hours or giving tours....

So, as everyone said, it is for the creepy factor, and easier to say " did you see that " when it is dark.

It's harder to see Grant moving shtuff around too.

Haha. When I was a kid I idolized the people from Ghost Hunters, but then I got a fully developed brain.

• Like 2

Haha. When I was a kid I idolized the people from Ghost Hunters, but then I got a fully developed brain.

Haha. We did a whole list of all the stuff that happened when Grant was off camera, it was loooong. lol

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Horsehoe bend military park ( Alabama) is a good place to hunt in the daytime...You don't need darkness to get creeped out in that place...

We evolved as diurnal creatures mainly dependent on vision. Naturally we are in danger at night, and naturally that scares us.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that we see ghosts with the rod cells of our eyes- those that we use for night vision. In daylight they are switched off so we will not see the ghost that is looming over our shoulder at this very minute. ** ow something touched me!**

That's why cats- with very good night vision- will always seem to be watching something creeping through your room...

Well hannah-s, I don't know how much facts there is in your suggestion, I don't think there has been any research that has been done about the way human eyes can see ghosts. Nonethless, it could be a possibility but I don't think that's why Paranormal Investigators ghost hunt at night.

There is all kind of reasons for that among others it may be easier to have access to some public locations at night to investigate, without any disturbances. There is no customers or visitors at night so everyone is happy this way.

Edited by sam_comm