Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lack of riots in the aftermath of Zimmerman

Clarakore

There does not seem to be the mass riots that were predicted. In fact there are no mass riots at all. Many of us can feel grateful for that and reflect on the growing cohesion and maturity of our nation.

It seems the greatest amount of violence in the aftermath of the Zimmerman verdict has occurred in Oakland, where the Occupy movement also saw it's most violence and where it appears the Occupy movement is again behind organizing the recent violence there, and in South Central Los Angeles, which were the scene of the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

Aggressive and destructive protests are still going on in Oakland, but that city's Occupy movement was already infamous for violent clashes with police.

http://www.huffingto..._b_3604319.html

In Los Angeles it appears the demonstrations have remained largely peaceful and that only a few wanted to stir up trouble.

Earlier Monday, South L.A.-based community activists joined forces with police to ask for restraint after 10 people were arrested amid demonstrations the previous night.

*snip*

li said that South-L.A. based activists have handled themselves with "grace, dignity and restraint" but that some "outsiders," such as anarchist groups, have caused disruption and vandalism.

South LA Activist Blames 'Outsider' Anarchist Groups For Violence At Prayer Vigils For Trayvon Martin

We can even compare what an actual riot looks to the practically anti-riots we have now.

I've written a couple of times this week about the lack of mass race riots following the George Zimmerman verdict. The verdict came down, and was widely known, around 10:30 p.m. Eastern time on Sunday. Protests from coast to coast that night were peaceful. But protests on Sunday and Monday in Oakland led to some violence, and one of last night's Los Angeles protests was hijacked by a small group of thugs who set about "breaking windows, setting fires and attacking several people." At the end of the night, a W Hotel claimed $15,000 of damage had been done, and 14 people were arrested.

*snip*

The LA riots led to multiple beatings, around $1 billion of property damage, and more than 3,000 burned buildings. I hate to minimize the reported beatings that have ensued since Saturday, but they're not congealing into anything like the fervor that followed the Rodney King verdict.

About Those Riots

Although the above article is incorrect in citing the human toll of the 1992 Los Angeles riots.

Overall, these confrontations were a far cry from the riots that ravaged American cities after the 1968 slaying of Dr. King, or the 1992 riots following the Rodney King verdict, which left 53 dead and over 2,000 people injured.

http://www.huffingto..._b_3604319.html

So far we have no mass riots, no deaths, no million dollars of property damage.

So what are the factors in your opinion that have led to a lack of riots in our country post-verdict?

Instead we have a cross-segment of society, involving those of all ethnic groups, to do various other activities such as standing behind a continuing federal investigation into civil rights violations which was only suspended to allow the state trial to begin but has now been resumed, we have those calling for stand your ground laws to be scrutinized and possibly repealed, we have those planning to boycott Florida over the stand your ground law there, we have vigils, demonstrations, and plenty of vigils and demonstrations and most of these activities all seem to be an exercise of rights by citizens who are all within the limits of the law. A far cry from riots...

Edited by The world needs you

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clarakore

• F3SS

• Sweetpumper

• lightly

On the negative side we have a few episodes of hooliganism which should be investigated. Property damage and violence toward others runs counter to the rule of law and should not be tolerated.

We also have a "twitter riot" which seems to be the greatest outlet for the discontent to vent although the numerous death threats against Zimmerman and company should not be condoned either. Similarly we have had in the recent past other groups online call for a revolution against our government and other acts of violence towards elected officials in some instances so the two should be compared regarding investigations.

Of course any substantial threat that has the possibility to be carried out or can be found to have real world planning behind it should be investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Did police scramble in the wake of the verdict to prevent anything from going sour in the cities? Yes. It just seems noteworthy that very little went sour. "Urban blacks may riot when X goes wrong for them" is a perennial story, one that got written in the run-ups to elections in 2008 ("Police fear riots if Barack Obama loses US election") and 2012 ("New threats to riot if Obama loses the election"). An act of civil disobedience that blocks traffic—on a Sunday, not even rush hour!—isn't an act of fury that tears a country apart. Honestly, don't the panic-mongers remember what it felt like when peaceful Tea Partiers were accused of incipient anti-government violence?

Trayvon Marin "riots": Who's exaggerating this time?

Protesting on Twitter is a lot easier and less destructive. Maybe it will be the future of protests, no chance of getting tazed or shot. Unless you say too much and the police come a knockin at your door.

• Like 3

Those who riot are just looking for an excuse to riot, like in the L.A. riots back in the early 90's. Decent people know that you can get your voice heard more if you protest peacefully.

• Like 2

There is also black flight which similar to white flight has seen many move out of the inner-city and into the suburbs. This too is a factor for a lack of riots due to the fact that everyone is more spread out instead of remaining in strict segregated neighborhoods. American opportunity at its core, populations who can now see success as an avenue, and a lack of ethnic density could all be circumstances that allow other avenues of protest to emerge without the need for riots.

While black flight has been going on for decades it has particular excelled during the 1990s and 2000s.

Across America blacks are leaving inner-city areas. William Frey, a geographer at the Brookings Institution, a think-tank, calculates that the black population of suburban counties increased by a startling 26.5% between 2000 and 2006.

Urban flight from Los Angeles

Immigrants are moving into the traditional black neighborhoods and filling the vacuum.

By 2000, Latinos represented 58.5 percent of the population of South LA; by 2010, 66.3 percent. In 2010, the "black district" of South Los Angeles was only 31.8 percent black.

A New South Los Angeles

Today, immigrants from Mexico and Central America live on blocks that generations ago were the only places African-Americans could live. In the former center of black culture in Los Angeles, Spanish is often the only language heard on the streets.

*snip*

In the 1990s, black residents made up roughly half the population in South Central. Today, Latinos account for about two-thirds of the residents in what is now called South Los Angeles — “Central” was officially scrubbed from the neighborhood’s name by the City Council in 2003.

In Years Since the Riots, a Changed Complexion in South Central

Also for one of the same exact reasons we had the trajectories of Zimmerman and Trayvon meet that rainy night, that different groups were moving into the suburbs, and when different cultures come together there is always friction until they learn to live in better harmony, it could also be one of the exact reasons, as noted above, why we did not have mass riots. Harmony in effect, growing, and becoming a new norm.

These are presumably the 2012 census figures for the gated community that Zimmerman lived at and which Trayvon, from Miami, was visiting that fateful evening.

Census figures show Retreat at Twin Lakes is 49 percent white, non-Hispanic, 23 percent Hispanic, 20 percent African-American and 5 percent Asian.

http://archive.is/JR5OR

I highly doubt the main stream media is going to report on the individual beatings, attempted murders and murders in the name of Trayvon as they are clearly culpable. They have a new cute little term for the aforementioned crimes...hooliganism.

• Like 3

They'll start once Sharpton and the DOJ get these rallies going.

• Like 1

There are also many outlets now available today as Hilander pointed out, twitter, which allows forms of expression that were not available in the past.

Also after the twin King riots of 1968 and 1992 (Martin Luther King and Rodney King) at that time not everyone was able to hear their voice on mainstream media. Mainstream media then had more or less one official message. Today, while many will point out the divisiveness of the mainstream media and claim it is what will lead to riots which so far have not substantiated and are supposed to always be just around the corner, we can also see that the mainstream media is also more diverse allowing many categories of society to hear their own voices and views.

The feeling some felt of having your voice and view silenced might not be as pervasive as it was in the past. Mainstream media itself might have mitigated the violence this time.

Does anyone else see the mainstream media not just in terms of divisiveness but also in terms of diversity? Both elements are clearly there if not widely focused upon. In fairness we should acknowledge this balance and blend in some realistic praise. For all the populist bad press that mainstream media often receives criticizing it alone might no longer be a valid expression in honesty.

So what are the factors in your opinion that have led to a lack of riots in our country post-verdict?

It's too damm hot!

• Like 5

It's too damm hot!

Great point here, the 1968 MLK riots and the 1992 Los Angeles riots both happened in April.

The 1992 riots were the worst in American history since the 1863 New York City draft riots. That happened in July but society was not as reliant on air conditioning then.

The day was hot and humid; one New Yorker later recalled that the weather made one feel “as if you had washed yourself in molasses and water.” Mobs surged out of the slums of the Lower East and West Sides, gathering bricks, stones, clubs and other weapons as they went, and calling on workmen to join them

Blood in the Streets: The New York City Draft Riots

They'll start once Sharpton and the DOJ get these rallies going.

They're certainly trying. I was never sure that riots would happen and I figured they likely wouldn't but it is not over yet. Holder is riling up hatred and Sharpton always does. If something major breaks out they'll just point to white people and say see look what you did now. I'm sure Sharpton has blood on his hands already and holder certainly does too.

As for comparing revolutionary speak to inner city riots, well that's nonsense. Apples and oranges. For one, we ultimately have a right to revolt. It's a last resort and a checkmate. A revolt isn't necessarily a blatant death threat towards politicians. Egypt is far less civilized than US and they've revolted twice in a year with successful oustings of their officials without killing them. This is another broad stroke attack against rightie, I mean whitey, err ummm I'm not sure there is a difference to some folks but that's what it is. You know what I mean.

Edit: rioting is the nonsensical destruction of life and property towards those who aren't at fault for the anger fueling the riot.

All that said, there has been some rioting and some violence and plenty that's been swept under the rug of journalism as to project an untouchable righteousness. Most blame goes to Oakland so far though but it's the cesspool of America right now and is to be expected.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 4

I am going to relate my impressions on this issue.

I just don't care.

I don't view this as a race issue.

I have not hit on any news on this issue.

I have no interest in it.

In today's world, you have to consciously pick and choose your wars. I did not choose this one.

I did choose the war that seeks to oust Eric Holder, who is seeming to stir up trouble regarding this issue. I helped fight FOR Cynthia McKinney for President, fighting against Obama. For me, this is not about race. This is about reflecting the world I deeply desire to see come to fruition.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 3

Great point here, the 1968 MLK riots and the 1992 Los Angeles riots both happened in April.

The 1992 riots were the worst in American history since the 1863 New York City draft riots. That happened in July but society was not as reliant on air conditioning then.

And then there are anti-riot riots, my favourite was the Hard Hat riot where 200 NY construction workers took on 1000+ anti-Vietnam war students and lawyers.

"After two minutes, however, the workers broke through the police line and began chasing students through the streets. The workers chose those with the longest hair and beat them with their hard hats and otherwise.[6] Attorneys, bankers and investment analysts from nearby Wall Street investment firms tried to protect many of the students but were themselves attacked. Onlookers reported that the police stood by and did nothing"

Awesome!

Edited by redhen
  • Like 1

Scott McDonnell at The American Conservative proposes the following as a reason for the lack of riots:

I’ll go out on limb—there won’t be large riots; America’s black communities are not, generally speaking, dry tinderboxes of racial resentment. The people who might want to provoke or lead riots way are less influential in black America than during the ’90s or ’60s or any other time when there were riots. Problems in black America are legion, as black leaders know better than anyone—but there are fewer people who want to blame racism for everything. Obama’s election has made a difference—one being there now seems to be, proportionally, a far higher percentage of highly agitated “race men” among conservative Republicans than there are among left-leaning blacks. But the conservative Republicans won’t riot either.

Why There Won’t Be Riots Over Zimmerman

:w00t: Gotta love construction workers. They have their own forms of justice on construction sites.
  • Like 2

It also seems that some of the demonstrations are not pitting one ethnic group against another but are largely multiracial. Those from all groups are coming together on this.

One thing that struck me immediately about the photo coverage of the Zimmerman verdict, distinct from at least recent civil rights protest imagery, was the number of widely-published newswire images highlighting a multi-racial response. (Regarding geography, the first four pics are from Seminole, the next three are from New York and the last, the 10 freeway in L.A.) What I can’t tell is if these images are reflective of an instinct to come together and that result, or the photos are more cherry picked and wishful.

Multiracial Zimmerman Protest Photos Sign of Change or Wishful Thinking? (click for photos)

The case has sparked nationwide protests, and a call to remove a controversial "stand your ground" law in Florida, where the incident occurred.

The event attracted a very diverse crowd racially, and many LGBTQs were among those protesting.

Hundreds protest Zimmerman court ruling

The most numerous rally Sunday was in New York City, where several thousand — including families with children — marched to Times Square under the watchful eye of police.

Many in the multi-racial crowd brandished signs bearing a portrait of Martin, while some, despite sweltering July heat, wore “hoodie” sweatshirts as the teen did the night he was killed.

Thousands protest in US cities

az6zwi.jpg

LA's Trayvon Martin Protest Photos Will Move You (click for photos)

So which is it? The mainstream media is trying to show people coming together or as some say, which sounds more like a conspiracy theory, that they are trying to drive people apart?

Well, they're not showing this...

http://www.click2houston.com/news/local-familys-emergency-trip-to-hospital-interrupted-by-protestors/-/1735978/21009282/-/xa44gh/-/index.html

Just after 7p.m. Monday, the demonstrators spilled out onto the road and blocked traffic for about 15 minutes.

"I looked up and I see all the protesters, they're everywhere," said Georgia, who asked that her last name not be used. "So, we got into the traffic and they're stopping us and not letting us go."

Georgia was on her way to Texas Children's Hospital in the Medical Center because her 7-year-old granddaughter was having an allergic reaction to some medication.

Georgia's daughter was driving and tried to go around the demonstrators by driving on the grassy shoulder.

"One of them was hitting the windshield and I was just screaming, 'We've got to get to the hospital,' and they were screaming and chanting," she said. "All I could think of was, I got to get my granddaughter to the hospital."

"My mom rolled down the window," said Georgia's daughter. "She said, 'We're trying to get my granddaughter to the hospital,' and a guy just started hitting her."

A Local 2 camera covering the protest recorded the entire incident. On the video you could see Georgia sitting in the front seat of an SUV, she had her window down and you can see a man reach in and grab her. Georgia said she was hit.

"When we got on the road I told her, 'Let's call 911," and I could feel I had been hit," she said.

The family is upset by the whole incident and thinks the demonstrators took things too far. Georgia filed a police report and hopes that things will quiet down.

"It wasn't peaceful," she said. "It was terrifying."

Quanell X, the community activist who planned the event, told Local 2 he thought the protest was peaceful.

Well, as long as Quanell X says it's ok then it's ok.

post-117199-0-14945200-1374104535_thumb.

• Like 2

Well, they're not showing this...

Well, as long as Quanell X says it's ok then it's ok.

post-117199-0-14945200-1374104535_thumb.

I can't believe this!! What a bunch of low life hoodlums.

They need to get jobs. I know that word is extremely unfamiliar to them. But, what kind of people go around doing this? :no:

• Like 1

Didn't they know? Harassing old white ladies is a job for the TSA. Do these guys not pay attention to the news?

• Like 2

Didn't they know? Harassing old white ladies is a job for the TSA. Do these guys not pay attention to the news?

LOL...

:)

Oakland Riots After George Zimmerman Verdict Were Smaller Than First Reported

Riots in Oakland in the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict appeared to be smaller than original reports indicated, with a handful of the 125 protesters starting fires and smashing windows downtown.

The demonstration came shortly after a six-person jury in Florida found Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, and appeared to solidify fears that protesters would turn violent in the wake of the verdict

Original reports from Bay Area media placed the number of protesters in Oakland at more than 200, starting fires and breaking windows at a Wells Fargo Bank. Later reports revised that number, saying it was closer to 125 protesters.

*snip*

http://www.inquisitr.com/848459/oakland-riots-after-george-zimmerman-verdict-were-smaller-than-first-reported/

I can't believe this!! What a bunch of low life hoodlums.

They need to get jobs. I know that word is extremely unfamiliar to them. But, what kind of people go around doing this? :no:

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Like 2