Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Men-only golf clubs

Commander CMG

• Prime Minister leads chorus of disapproval at ban on women members
  • Senior ministers boycotting championship in protest at out-dated rules
  • Nick Clegg slams 'inexplicable' and 'anachronistic' ruling
  • Culture Secretary Maria Miller steps up pressure on sexism in sport
  • She demands action by the BBC over John Inverdale's comments that tennis star Bartoli was 'not a looker'

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Only if "women only" clubs allow men.

• Like 4

let the market decide... odds are it will work out

Vote Libertarian... vote for freedom!

Only if "women only" clubs allow men.

There shouldn't be any gender only clubs today but what about women's only golf days? Every club I played at have a women's day where men can't tee off until they are finished.

• Like 1

There shouldn't be any gender only clubs today but what about women's only golf days? Every club I played at have a women's day where men can't tee off until they are finished.

What about the Women's Institute?

The night before the competition started I watched an interview where the club mentioned that at the moment it was a men only club but this would be reviewed after the open was finished.

He seemed to hint that, the ruling was too old fashioned in today's society, but I find most golf clubs old fashioned with there ridiculous dated rules.

i can point you in the direction of a million & one women's only hairdressers, schools, salons, gyms, taxi firms, insurance companies, swimming pools and the like, but you don't see many women getting their undies in a bundle over their hypocritical sexism do you....?

why isn't the culture secretary kicking some ass about them then hmm...?

still labouring under some misplaced victim mentality is she?

or just too busy demanding sports commentators be strung from every lamp post?

why don't women just tell us to go **** ourselves and build their own golf courses? you wouldn't hear us men complain as we drove them there and then slipped off down to the river for a spot of fishing.

some people seem to have a pathological need to jump on every bandwagon that comes lumbering past.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 4

Personally speaking, it is a Private Club, therefore they can make their own rules (as long as they are not racist) and I see nothing wrong with this.

As for the comments attributed to John Inverdale, this is the full transcript of what he said:

Earlier this month Inverdale, who is thought to be paid about £600,000 a year, said of Miss Bartoli during coverage of the Wimbledon women’s final: ‘I just wonder if her dad did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14 maybe: “Listen, you are never going to be, you know, a looker.

‘“You are never going to be somebody like a [Maria] Sharapova, you’re never going to be 5 feet 11, you’re never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that. You are going to have to be the most dogged, determined fighter that anyone has ever seen on the tennis court if you are going to make it.” And she kind of is.’

Where is the problem with saying that you cannot rely on "Looks" to get somewhere (which would be the shallowest outcome for most acclaimed "beauties") but to show that you can achieve greatness based solely on your talent?

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

i can point you in the direction of a million & one women's only hairdressers, schools, salons, gyms, taxi firms, insurance companies, swimming pools and the like, but you don't see many women getting their undies in a bundle over their hypocritical sexism do you....?

why isn't the culture secretary kicking some ass about them then hmm...?

still labouring under some misplaced victim mentality is she?

or just too busy demanding sports commentators be strung from every lamp post?

why don't women just tell us to go **** ourselves and build their own golf courses? you wouldn't hear us men complain as we drove them there and then slipped off down to the river for a spot of fishing.

some people seem to have a pathological need to jump on every bandwagon that comes lumbering past.

I was told I couldn't take my daughter to the local swimming classes because it "Mothers and toddlers". I was actually told to leave?

• Like 1

I was told I couldn't take my daughter to the local swimming classes because it "Mothers and toddlers". I was actually told to leave?

For you to be told this by a Publicly Owned Asset is wrong. Where are the Father and Toddler classes?In fact why is there segregation at all? Segregate half of the pool (leaving the "Deep End" for public use ) to allow the toddlers to learn in a calm environment, but why not fathers and Toddlers. Your council sems to be entirely sexist (or should I say Feminist)

• Like 2

For you to be told this by a Publicly Owned Asset is wrong. Where are the Father and Toddler classes?In fact why is there segregation at all? Segregate half of the pool (leaving the "Deep End" for public use ) to allow the toddlers to learn in a calm environment, but why not fathers and Toddlers. Your council sems to be entirely sexist (or should I say Feminist)

My council are not only sexist, they are actually rearranging social workers working hours around at the moment so they can visit, individuals that are fasting for Andaman... 8 to 5 has now been changed so they can cater for those fasting.

After all it is Bradford?

• Like 1

do they have a "fathers & toddlers" day i wonder?

and if not, then why isn't the culture secretary sending round the death squads?

most women couldn't give the ar$e of a rat whether it was segregated or mixed bathing, in fact, most of them would've looked favourably on you for wanting to take your daughter in the first place, instead of watching the football at the pub.

people like maria miller give women a bad name. always whining on about how women are downtrodden & victimised, when nothing could be further from the truth!

do we men start coiling up the noose when we see Diamond UK ads? or get dragged around Mango (could there BE a more sexist name for a clothes store?!) on saturday afternoon?

no. we don't.

i mean, let's face it, what have we got left eh?

golf clubs (that have ladies days),

and the gents toilet in pubs.

not much really is it?

but do you see us crying into our lambrini about it?

somebody should show Mzzzz miller the REAL meaning of "sexual equality"

and slap her.

(ps- i hope your daughter wasn't too disappointed by her first-hand experience of the ugly role sexism plays in our society?

equal rights?! WE should be so lucky!!)

Edited by shrooma

Political correctness to the dumbest of its potential :td:

• Like 2

Where I live, I used to work at a private, member's-only golf club for many years.

Women were excluded from full membership(which among other things includes voting rights, board membership, etc...) and were given the title "Associate Member" They could of course play golf, but it was restricted as well.

The Club was sued by an associate member, going through our states Human Rights Commission. It dragged on for 10-years.

She won.

The State declared that, although we were registered as a "private" club(which would allow such exclusions even in reverse), that the Club was not "fully" private as defined by state law.

In other words, it was determined that we were only partially "private", due to certain wedding events held there(meaning public attendance), and active hosting of PGA/LPGA state tournaments. In short, the Club was legally deemed "Private with Public Access", thus failing to meet the criteria of being "fully private"

Due to the lawsuit in her favor by the Human Rights Commission with respect to the Clubs actual legal standing, women can now be full members with voting privilages, become board member's, and such.

It took 10-years to figure that out !

Mostly because the Club has high powered member lawyers trying to defend the Club, but they lost in the end.

Now, could such a Golf Club change certain things to become legally "private" ?

Of course, that's easy-peasy, just exclude any and all public participations, and re-register as fully "private"

However, in our case, it was determined that the club could not financially support itself under such limiting restrictions, due to yearly expenses not possible to cover solely by membership dues.

Weddings and on-site public tournaments draw significant "buffer" revenue.

Some private facilities can financially maintain a legally "private" status, but not our's as determined(by the Board of Director's)

So, we bowed-down to the state. This is the U.S., other countries might have different laws.

In short, women can become full member's and fully partricipate in all club functions once a privalege only enjoyed by men.

• Like 1

Are there any women masons? Just wondering.

No, but they can join Co - Freemasonry. Some of Freemason Rites require quoting verses from the Old Testament and accepting that there is a Supreme Being. But there is a Lodge in France that does not hold to this tradition!! I need to check to see if they accept women on anything other than an Associate member basis

Edited by keithisco

There is the Eastern Star group for females. My cousin was a member of that in her teen years, though she lost interest and quit.

There is the Eastern Star group for females. My cousin was a member of that in her teen years, though she lost interest and quit.

But the Eastern Star is not a recognised Chapter within Freemasonry. It is completely separate in terms of Rites and Advancement.

I don't see what's wrong with privately owned gender specific clubs. If women want a golf club, then fund and start one of their own.

• Like 1

No, but they can join Co - Freemasonry. Some of Freemason Rites require quoting verses from the Old Testament and accepting that there is a Supreme Being. But there is a Lodge in France that does not hold to this tradition!! I need to check to see if they accept women on anything other than an Associate member basis

I hope they will not force them to. Nothing against equalitu but some things should stay as they are. Hell, men need their space just like women do. I never go to a joint hair salon, only to a mans only barber. Honestly, for me freedom is more important then fake equality. You all now when the ladies say No means No. Well, the NO should be understand both ways.

• Like 2

I hope they will not force them to. Nothing against equalitu but some things should stay as they are. Hell, men need their space just like women do. I never go to a joint hair salon, only to a mans only barber. Honestly, for me freedom is more important then fake equality. You all now when the ladies say No means No. Well, the NO should be understood both ways.

I've lived a very long time without pushing myself into groups where I am definitely not wanted as a member. What do they get out of doing that, except life-long resentment for their troubles?

• Like 1