Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wompus cat in PA?

Midyin

Ok, so I was just watching Mountain Monsters, and they are talking about a Creature called The Wompus Beast, and It sounds an awful lot like the same Giant Black Cat creature I use to see in the woods growing up in Central Pennsylvania...

Is it a common creature up here? Has anyone else seen this huge Black Cat creature?

Sounds like your classic phantom panther to me. You mostly hear about them in the UK, but there's no shortage of reports in North America either. Just google "black panther sightings" and you'll find reams of them.

Huh, as a teenager growing up in the sticks I was reclusive and antisocial, so spent a lot of time in the forest and I would literally see this thing sometimes 5 days a week.

It was always moving though. I never got a good look at it, but damn was it fast, and sometimes almost silent...

We're from a county next to Pleasants County in WV. Hubby and sons and family hunt/ed in Pleasants all the time. We've heard it called the Wampus Kitty, not Beast as per the show!

Can't wait to see where they "hunt" the reptile-human hybrid in Wood County next week (lived there for many years). What a joke... but that is what we expect...a comedy with subtitles.

Because we can't understand them either.

Edited by QuiteContrary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampus_cat

I had never heard of this before. Seems to be a TN, NC, PA thing...

I remember a LONG time ago playing a computer (Commodor 64) game called M.U.L.E., which had a Wampus in it.

• Like 1

I saw that episode as well and a couple things don't make sense to me from the show. First off, the man's hogs were being taken, yet he did very little in terms of protecting them. Open pens, no lighting and no one with a shotgun watching them. Then the creature gets two hows however the injuries appear to be made by a regular size mountain lion, maybe a little on the large side of regular but nothing shocking to me. The tracks were larger that the wounds would indicate, so I have to wonder about what they thought they had.

......not mention driving around the woods at night in a couple of ATV's with the lights on and them hollering isn't the most stealthy way to make an approach. "YEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW!"

I'd like to add, that the Wampus cat, may very well be easily explained as a giant version of a regular Mountain Lion or Cougar. We have giants within our own species and we've seen larger than average specimens of other species throughout time. However, I'd have to say again, the wounds on the pigs on the show looked to be of normal size for a Mountain Lion.

The cat took three 70 pound pigs, having to have jumped over the tall bottom half of a Dutch door, all in a short amount of time while the monster team was searching elsewhere.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I've an old novel on the settling of the Ohio frontier and found this entry:

"...came home one night and found one of those big black wolves with long dragging tails they called the devil's dogs inside his cabin."

The Trees by Conrad Richter page 248

The cat took three 70 pound pigs, having to have jumped over the tall bottom half of a Dutch door, all in a short amount of time while the monster team was searching elsewhere.

And that was hokie in and of itself really. Think about it, three pigs about seventy pounds or so Are taken, and you're a four legged cat like creature. You have Limited time to grab dinner before the hairy redneck hear the pigs squeal and come a running. You can only carry one little piggy at a time because you only have one mouth. That means you have to take a pig, haul it to the spot, kill said pig, go back gor another pig, the rednecks are closing in but you do this three more times. Then.....then you leave all three little dead pigs because the rednecks are upon you. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

And that was hokie in and of itself really. Think about it, three pigs about seventy pounds or so Are taken, and you're a four legged cat like creature. You have Limited time to grab dinner before the hairy redneck hear the pigs squeal and come a running. You can only carry one little piggy at a time because you only have one mouth. That means you have to take a pig, haul it to the spot, kill said pig, go back gor another pig, the rednecks are closing in but you do this three more times. Then.....then you leave all three little dead pigs because the rednecks are upon you. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Maybe there were three wampus cats?

Man, my butt's puckering just thinking about it... :passifier:

What do the Cherokee know about it?

Based on the footprints is appeared to be a cat.........but then, I don't know what a werewolf's prints look like.

:blush:

Edited by keninsc

What do the Cherokee know about it?

Based on the footprints is appeared to be a cat.........but then, I don't know what a werewolf's prints look like.

:blush:

Not that you would. Everyone knows they tie hyraxes to their feet to disguise their tracks.

I was not aware of that!

But then, trans-dimensional creatures often don't play by the rules.

Well, obviously werewolf tracks look like wolf tracks or people tracks, depending on what's there. :P

If there are Mountain Lions/Puma/Cougar in this area anyways, could this not be a Panther? I have read before that a Panther can be justified (correct me if i'm wrong) as a Black variant of one of the larger cat species. The process is down to a pigment called Melanin (iirc) which can occur in low light, dense vegatation habitats?

The various cases over here in the UK have shown that there could well be a number of big cats, some black roaming the southern countryside. So where there are native big cats, it could be far more likely.

Obviously, when sightings are made, people have a tendency to overexaggerate/overestimate size, but if you have ever seen one of these beauties up close, they are quite a hefty animal. In addition, big cats have very sharp senses and are very wary of people and noise, they are a stealth predator, so they are pretty hard to come by, as they will see you before you see them, and they will avoid you like the plague.

If there are Mountain Lions/Puma/Cougar in this area anyways, could this not be a Panther? I have read before that a Panther can be justified (correct me if i'm wrong) as a Black variant of one of the larger cat species. The process is down to a pigment called Melanin (iirc) which can occur in low light, dense vegatation habitats?

The various cases over here in the UK have shown that there could well be a number of big cats, some black roaming the southern countryside. So where there are native big cats, it could be far more likely.

Obviously, when sightings are made, people have a tendency to overexaggerate/overestimate size, but if you have ever seen one of these beauties up close, they are quite a hefty animal. In addition, big cats have very sharp senses and are very wary of people and noise, they are a stealth predator, so they are pretty hard to come by, as they will see you before you see them, and they will avoid you like the plague.

I'm reminded of the case down in Louisiana last week where folks took photos and swore that they had a Black Panther stalking through their backyard. Game and Fish shows up with a true-to-size silhouette of a panther to compare it to the image in the photo - not even close. What the folks saw was a big house cat.

I don't know about the name "wampus beast" but it sounds like to me they were referring to a cougar. This is crypto-like in that cougars east of the Mississippi are said not to exist except in Florida. Florida has the highly endangered Florida Panther, which is just a smaller version of the Mt. Lion or Cougar. Now, many people that live in extremely rural settings east of the Mississippi river can tell you that yes, cougars do exist here. Maybe not in the numbers out west, but they are reclaiming a lot of their old territory as populations increase in the west. These cats have been recorded traveling up to 1800 miles to get to where they needed to be so it is very likely. We have sightings, trail cam photos, and even dead specimens to prove they do exist in the east.

Now, as far as the fabled "Black Panther" well that just doesn't exist in nature. That would be a true cryptid in the cougar species. Some large cats do exhibit a black color phase. Cougars do not, and it has never been recorded in captive or wild cougars for them to have ever had a black color phase. Jaguars, which were once native to the U.S. Southwest are making a comeback there, and have on occasion exhibited a black phase, but they are pretty much isolated to the southwest. Jaguarundis, which is a smaller central and south American cat, have been moving north into the U.S. and are a little darker colored in some instances. My friend shot one with his bow in the Delta National Forest a couple of years ago. So after saying all of that I will sum it up with this. Mt. Monsters is a dumbazz show, that is fairly funny. What in the hell a Wampus Beast is I have no idea, other than a cougar. Cougars do exist east of the Mississippi in smaller numbers. They are not black.

Mike

Ok, so I was just watching Mountain Monsters, and they are talking about a Creature called The Wompus Beast, and It sounds an awful lot like the same Giant Black Cat creature I use to see in the woods growing up in Central Pennsylvania...

Is it a common creature up here? Has anyone else seen this huge Black Cat creature?

My mother, who grew up in NW PA, claims to have seen one as a girl. She said that she was on her way to the barn to feed the cows. When she walked in, she heard a loud "HISS" and looked up in the hayloft to see a VERY large, "black panther" laying there. She dropped everything and ran, and when she looked behind her, the cat was bounding threw the field in the other direction.

No one in her family believed her at the time, and I only found out about the story much later, as she was afraid of ridicule.

I had never heard of this before. Seems to be a TN, NC, PA thing...

I know alot of people who have seen them here also. Even had to break up a fight over it once (long story). Thier saving grace is they don't seem to attack people and avoid them like the plague. So they should be able to outlast us without any problem.

When I was younger my mom hit a big cat on the highway. Turns out it was a panther that escaped from the zoo about a mile from where we were living at the time.

That was back when I lived in Houtzdale PA...

Small world. I grew up in Ramey.

Never seen one of these things though.