Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Conjuring

and-then

I might go see the movie, but I still don't understand how the family could stay in the house for 10 years with all that going on.

They'll explain that in the movie.

• Like 1

I got the wife to see it and she hates these types of movies. She liked it too. Not sure what I can tell you but it's worth seeing in the theater. As we were walking out some 6'5" dude next to me said he was going to go home and watch cartoons.

WOW cool beanies.. I was hoping it wasn't going to be one of those movies, where you see all the good parts in the movie trailers... I can't wait to see this now..

EDIT - PS... I too tend to watch The Simpsons or some cartoons after I have seen a really good scary horror movie.. lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I love horror films, though after just now looking at the trailer, which is very good, I begin to suspect that as so much was shown in the trailer, then you already saw all the good bits. I hope not though.

Not even close. The trailer scene, is not even that whole scene .

• Like 2

They'll explain that in the movie.

Actually they don't ,save the usual ,we put all our money into the house,and can't leave now ,as that's a common reason in these cases.

• Like 2

Not even close. The trailer scene, is not even that whole scene .

This is what I was hoping as it looks a great film. It's that we have been burned in the past with trailers that were the only part of the film worth watching.

• Like 2

I'm not worried about demon possession, but this is one movie, in a long long time, whose trailer has me wondering if it might actually be creepy.

I think I'll go see it. Alone.

It's creepy . The scene with the Warrens daughter made me yelp .

• Like 2

Looks pretty scary...but for some reason, I have my doubts it will be as disturbing as the Exorcist was...just me.

This might be a little off topic but not completely.

I have noticed something over the last few years and it makes me wonder.

We all know that a certain percentage of the population is highly susceptible to suggestion. There are folks that will believe just about anything. Have you ever wondered about the flood of "supernatural and paranormal" TV shows and movies? From pure fiction to "reality" tv, the airwaves and box office routinely stays filled with "weirdness".

From "Ghost Hunters" to "Paranormal State" to "Paranormal Witness"......shows about demon hunting and exorcism...alien abductions and "ancient aliens". All this stuff portrayed as "factual...

Have you ever wondered if someone is trying to "warp" a certain percentage of the populations comprehension of reality? I personally don't actually believe in any of the stuff. I guess I give it a somewhat tongu-in-cheek nod that "anything is possible" but that's about as far as it goes. BUT...there is a certain percentage of the population that gobbles this stuff up as "fact"...and I find that alarming. What happened to "reality"?

Anywho...I'm curious about others thoughts on the idea.

I'm highly gullible, but actually annoyed by those shows who say "look, we found facts" instead of "we might be onto something here, who knows". They do dogma. "dont think on your own, we know better!". I watch shows about mysteries because I want to be on the uncertain and marvel what could be, not just what is. I think they strip that feeling of marvel from you though they ought to give you that.

• Like 3

I just read the plot on Wikipedia. This is nothing more than most standard, run-of-the-mill ghost story. Plus the usual props (old farmhouse, secret basement...) Not even a shred of any new idea. Only the old, tired scare tales plus the usual Hollywood effects.

Thanks for warning me. I won´t even bother to look at the CD in the shop.

• Like 1

The house at the end of the street, is worth watching.

• Like 3

The house at the end of the street, is worth watching.

And "The Wrong House". I find that sometimes these low budget, low profile films to be better than "Blockbusters"

• Like 4

Actually they don't ,save the usual ,we put all our money into the house,and can't leave now ,as that's a common reason in these cases.

Yeah, they do. Not just the money problems.

I'll probably watch it when it hits Netflix.

One of the nice side effects of being an Atheist, is that Demon possession doesn't hold much water for me either...

Not that I won't be suitably creeped out while watching!!!

I read the 'wikipedia' assessment of the "based on a true story" line (so overused in many film genres these days). It comes with a video link in which the 'original' family members are interviewed. From the video and 'wiki' information it seems clear that this is another case of a story well overflowing its boundaries of common sense (example--the family remained in this "possessed/haunted house" for 10 years after the macabre mayhem allegedly commenced--???).

I went to see it Sunday. It was pretty good for a horror movie.

• Like 1

It's not released over here until August ...sigh..

Yeah, they do. Not just the money problems.

Because it will follow them . Yeah,but that wasn't the families initial reason ,but what the Warrens told them . They claim that's what happened with the Amityville .

The house is normal now,but the family said it followed them when they left.

• Like 1

It was pretty good, having seen a lot of these kind of movies, this was better than most. It didn't suffer from that loud annoying vibrating hum sound before something scary happened. I have seen too many paranormal movies like that. This one was genuinely scary.

• Like 2

It saddens me that we live in the year 2013 and people still believe that demonic possession is real.

• Like 3

It saddens me that we live in the year 2013 and people still believe that demonic possession is real.

Then your gonna be sad for a long, long time. Because that's something that will never change, no matter how advance we become in civilization. Humans are gonna believe in, what they what to believe in. Whether it be god(s), angels or demons. It seems like with your comment, you want the whole world to think the same things you do and believe or don't believe in the same things you do. That's not gonna happen, my friend. Never ever, no way, no how. You're going to find over the years, beliefs in those things are always going to be there. It's not something that can be vanquished from the thoughts of people.

So my question is, why worry about it? Why cause yourself stress over it? There's no need to worry about other people, until they pose a physical threat to you, always worry about yourself first. You would be a lot happier and less stressed.

• Like 3

Then your gonna be sad for a long, long time. Because that's something that will never change, no matter how advance we become in civilization. Humans are gonna believe in, what they what to believe in. Whether it be god(s), angels or demons. It seems like with your comment, you want the whole world to think the same things you do and believe or don't believe in the same things you do. That's not gonna happen, my friend. Never ever, no way, no how. You're going to find over the years, beliefs in those things are always going to be there. It's not something that can be vanquished from the thoughts of people.

So my question is, why worry about it? Why cause yourself stress over it? There's no need to worry about other people, until they pose a physical threat to you, always worry about yourself first. You would be a lot happier and less stressed.

Thanks for the answer, Captain Obvious.

• Like 2

I saw nothing in his post that showed signs of any stress... I think you are going a bit over the top lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer, Captain Obvious.

Your welcome! Glad I could help.

I saw nothing in his post that showed signs of any stress... I think you are going a bit over the top lol

You know I do that sometimes. I think you're right, BM. ;)

• Like 3

Sorry, man. I didn't mean to make you sad :w00t: Funny thing is, I don't believe in ghosts at all. Demons, yeah, because they are mentioned in the Bible. They don't just take a person over though. They have to be allowed in and making yourself "open" to them is what I try to avoid. For the record, I never watched the Exorcist either - and for the same reason. And while you're poo - pooing demonic possession, look around - you're on a site called Unexplained Mysteries! :tu:
  • Like 3

Sorry, man. I didn't mean to make you sad :w00t: Funny thing is, I don't believe in ghosts at all. Demons, yeah, because they are mentioned in the Bible. They don't just take a person over though. They have to be allowed in and making yourself "open" to them is what I try to avoid. For the record, I never watched the Exorcist either - and for the same reason. And while you're poo - pooing demonic possession, look around - you're on a site called Unexplained Mysteries! :tu:

I think we've talked about your demon beliefs before.

As for being on UM, doesn't mean I have to believe half the moronic things posted on here on a daily basis.

• Like 3

I watched it, its pretty good, has good effects as well but im sure the producers exaggerated from the real story to make it a bit more scary

• Like 2