Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think I just saw a ghost! A Sheriff Deputy

Vincennes

I am sitting here still shaking and that's a little weird in itself because it happened so fast, normally I would just shake my head, go on and think my eyes were playing tricks but I don't think they were.

I was just out running everyday errands. Going into town we have a six-land stretch of shopper ridden highway to the mall with construction going on so all the cars are closer in each lane than they normally would be not more than a foot apart.

I was in the middle of three lanes going in one direction. A Sheriff's car pulled up in the next lane beside me going the same way. We are not at any angle whatsoever. we were both just topped even to each other waiting for a traffic light to change. I looked over to see if I new the Deputy (small town). I noticed I did not, saw the back of the car's computer screen and then noticed two men's arms bare with a silver watch on what looked like the right arm. Both of these arms seemed to be bent in about a 50-60 degree angle up. The head of the individual seemed to be leaning down between the arms. What took my attention was the position of the arms with regard to the seats of the car. As I turned back straight toward my lane, I realized the arms seemed to be either coming too far into the front to be in the back seat or the individual was certainly pushed back into the front. So as my head turned back to my forward position, I had completed the thoughts, "Why is he letting a prisoner transport sit so far forward from the back, he's really over and into the front seat." then "Oh, it's probably another Deputy and he's really just sitting far back in the front seat because somehow of the computer."

I turned again to see which it was....... and there was no other figure in the car. The Deputy driving was alone in the car. I could clearly see that and there was nothing in the space I had seen the figure.....Nothing but empty space around the computer. Now, it's sunny out today but I have on sun glasses from me optometrist with $200 glasses that kill all ultra-violet. I can't even wear them to sign a credit card machine inside. They kill all glare and any the Ultra Violet.

Now, to bring this story home. As I watched the deputy pull away, me being too stunned to put my foot on the gas. I immediately remembered that we had a very young, very much admired Deputy killed about two years ago. He was said to have been just a really nice guy. He came upon two guys walking about 10 miles outside of town. It was late, he stopped, they told him they had car trouble and were walking back into town. He simply offered them a ride back. Sadly, they were illegals, without documentation or green cards. They thought he was turning them in and for no other reason shot him in the back of the head. He died almost instantly. Now I keep seeing that figure with what seemed to me to have the head slightly down, and the arms both bent and raised up.

For whatever reason, I continued to shake all the way home, got my nerve up and called the Sheriff's department. I got a male deputy who at first did deny it when I asked if they had a haunted car or any evidence of haunts of the department. I'm was just so glad when he didn't laugh at me. No, he didn't laugh at all. He wanted to know where, when, what direction was the Sheriff's car going and any other facts I could give him. He said that he knew the Deputy who was in that vicinity at that time and would follow up with him and see if he had "noticed " anything......He never stopped me from talking, didn't dismissed me or my wild story in anyway, he only wanted all the information I could give him on what I had seen, then THANKED me for calling. I'm thinking now there is more that he knew, that he wouldn't just be able to be open upfront about.

• Like 3

I am sitting here still shaking and that's a little weird in itself because it happened so fast, normally I would just shake my head, go on and think my eyes were playing tricks but I don't think they were.

I was just out running everyday errands. Going into town we have a six-land stretch of shopper ridden highway to the mall with construction going on so all the cars are closer in each lane than they normally would be not more than a foot apart.

I was in the middle of three lanes going in one direction. A Sheriff's car pulled up in the next lane beside me going the same way. We are not at any angle whatsoever. we were both just topped even to each other waiting for a traffic light to change. I looked over to see if I new the Deputy (small town). I noticed I did not, saw the back of the car's computer screen and then noticed two men's arms bare with a silver watch on what looked like the right arm. Both of these arms seemed to be bent in about a 50-60 degree angle up. The head of the individual seemed to be leaning down between the arms. What took my attention was the position of the arms with regard to the seats of the car. As I turned back straight toward my lane, I realized the arms seemed to be either coming too far into the front to be in the back seat or the individual was certainly pushed back into the front. So as my head turned back to my forward position, I had completed the thoughts, "Why is he letting a prisoner transport sit so far forward from the back, he's really over and into the front seat." then "Oh, it's probably another Deputy and he's really just sitting far back in the front seat because somehow of the computer."

I turned again to see which it was....... and there was no other figure in the car. The Deputy driving was alone in the car. I could clearly see that and there was nothing in the space I had seen the figure.....Nothing but empty space around the computer. Now, it's sunny out today but I have on sun glasses from me optometrist with $200 glasses that kill all ultra-violet. I can't even wear them to sign a credit card machine inside. They kill all glare and any the Ultra Violet.

Now, to bring this story home. As I watched the deputy pull away, me being too stunned to put my foot on the gas. I immediately remembered that we had a very young, very much admired Deputy killed about two years ago. He was said to have been just a really nice guy. He came upon two guys walking about 10 miles outside of town. It was late, he stopped, they told him they had car trouble and were walking back into town. He simply offered them a ride back. Sadly, they were illegals, without documentation or green cards. They thought he was turning them in and for no other reason shot him in the back of the head. He died almost instantly. Now I keep seeing that figure with what seemed to me to have the head slightly down, and the arms both bent and raised up.

For whatever reason, I continued to shake all the way home, got my nerve up and called the Sheriff's department. I got a male deputy who at first did deny it when I asked if they had a haunted car or any evidence of haunts of the department. I'm was just so glad when he didn't laugh at me. No, he didn't laugh at all. He wanted to know where, when, what direction was the Sheriff's car going and any other facts I could give him. He said that he knew the Deputy who was in that vicinity at that time and would follow up with him and see if he had "noticed " anything......He never stopped me from talking, didn't dismissed me or my wild story in anyway, he only wanted all the information I could give him on what I had seen, then THANKED me for calling. I'm thinking now there is more that he knew, that he wouldn't just be able to be open upfront about.

That's cool. At least he didn't laugh at you. Maybe he's been seen by them, but they're hesitant or not allowed to talk about it, I don't know. Has anyone else seen this ghostly Deputy riding around?

• Like 1

Please share your city and any links to articles about the deceased deputy.

• Like 1

Can you give the town and State where the Deputy was killed, and the year. ( month would help ).

I would like to some verifiable sources that a Deputy was killed.

Edit :

Rafterman, I waited to long to hit reply :)

Great minds think a like ..... :tu:

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

It really does shake a person up to see something like that and you don't need to prove to me that you did. I believe you, wholeheartedly. At the time it's going on it is so real and then poof and you are left thinking...what the heck...

• Like 2

its crazy when i saw my frist ghost i was like was it really a ghost and it makes you think

• Like 1

Please share your city and any links to articles about the deceased deputy.

Can you give the town and State where the Deputy was killed, and the year. ( month would help ).

I would like to some verifiable sources that a Deputy was killed.

Edit :

Rafterman, I waited to long to hit reply :)

Great minds think a like ..... :tu:

There will be no links, no name of where this happened.....Because the story of the Deputy is not true.

Unless googling :

" Deputy shot by illegal immigrants "

" Deputy killed by illegal immigrants "

" Deputy murdered by illegal immigrants "

" Illegal immigrants kill Deputy "

And about 15 other ways revealing nothing even close to the claim here means it is true. Not saying the OP made it up, maybe they were told that, and believed it by words alone......

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

That's cool. At least he didn't laugh at you. Maybe he's been seen by them, but they're hesitant or not allowed to talk about it, I don't know. Has anyone else seen this ghostly Deputy riding around?

Kowalski, ThanksI and thank God he didn't laugh at me I would have collapsed into tears. Has he/it been seen by others? I don't know but that's the reason that I had to call and just ask if they were having sightings and/or experiences. Although I said initially and very clearly, this is not an emergency. I was on the active dispatcher line. I went on to ask for someone who had just a minute to talk and the dispatcher, said, "I can talk to you a minute." Then he kept talking. It's the fact he didn't even try to end it quickly and wanted specifics leads me to believe they have had something else.

To those that have asked my location. Sorry, don't mean to be evasive but I can't. I did work in the prison system here and I do know the facts of the Deputy's death. It is a fairly small town and his family is still very much here. Might be another reason I didn't get a response from the dispatcher to my question, "Are you (you department) having experiences?"

I just can't get over the feeling that everyday tricks of the eye don't normally shake me. My thoughts at the time were on, did I have my dog food coupon in my purse. I wasn't looking for the supernatural or thinking about the former deputy in any way. I, personally, did not know him but a lot of my work colleagues did. The town was at the time pretty much shattered by the senseless cruel response to his act of kindness.

I did just finish talking to a local friend who has had sighting experiences and this pretty much correlates with some of his. I saw the arms bent at the elbow clearly. I could see it was a man's arms, with a regular man's size silver watch. I had an impression, maybe a slight outline, of a head between them. I did not clearly see the head, nor a face. I did not clearly see past about half way up the arm from the elbow to the shoulder. If the point of bend of the elbows was 6:00 o'clock, the hands would be at 2:00. I said when I opened this, it was a full apparition and I said that because what I saw was solid, not a mist. In my quick, moving glance, I thought I had just caught the other person in the car with his hands up, head down, in a moment of conversation. My friend asks me why I didn't see full head, part of face and what color shirt. I don't know but I did not. He tells me that an inability to see the face has characterized several of his experiences and, even though what I saw seemed to be solid, my experience fits with some of the impressions he has been left with.

I do remember the deputy was shot midsummer maybe about now don't know and that he would have had on a short sleeved uniform. I will look up the date and pass it on when I am able. Right now, I don't want to know it. I stopped my friend from looking it up ..... Just be polite and don't mention it to me if you do. Right now, I'm still too shaken. The thing that bothers me is that as I initially turned back to my lane my mind put together the "body" that would have been connected to the arms would have not been in a logical front seat / back seat location. That's what made me turn and look again. That's the wrong position for a criminal transfer. Why in between seats? My friend suggests that I am wrong that the deputy was not shot from the back when in the front seat, he was shot, standing outside at the door which would be between the seats, putting the killers into the back. He reminds me there is bulletproof glass between the front and back seats... I would put him where in the location as I saw it.... I do remember where they found his car with his body. No, I can't look it up now... It's going to be a minute before I can.

• Like 1

To those that have asked my location. Sorry, don't mean to be evasive but I can't. I did work in the prison system here and I do know the facts of the Deputy's death. It is a fairly small town and his family is still very much here.

Take no offense to this, I say it how I see it.

And, I have seen this numerous times here, and in person, and other places.

First off, there is no way in Hell that would not be in the News, and easily found on the internet. So, knowing it was on the News ( if true ), that " little town " would not be so secret anymore now would it?

What does giving a name of a town, and state have to do with protecting a family?

The biggest excuse in the book : I do not want to reveal that location, as to protect people there.......Oh, good one. Now you have the mods to back you from any further questions.

I googled, I Binged, there is no story anywhere of 2 illegal immigrants, nor 2 men, nor 2 women, killing a Deputy as you describe.

You are lying, and that is obvious from the responses here. Sorry to be so blunt, but I am just not into not telling the truth. Life is short, say it how you see it.......

Little details make a big difference.....

He came upon two guys walking about 10 miles outside of town. It was late, he stopped, they told him they had car trouble and were walking back into town. He simply offered them a ride back. Sadly, they were illegals, without documentation or green cards. They thought he was turning them in and for no other reason shot him in the back of the head.

How would anyone know what was said ?......Your only witness is dead right?

Not that it matters, he was never alive.....

I would like to ask, what does revealing the name of the town have to do with protecting anyone?.......Especially here ?.....Hell, anywhere?

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 7

Is it just me, or does this sound like a "story"

The incredibly specific details are similar in scope to my reading a fiction or sci-fi book.

I don't know, and to no offense to the OP, but I guess we will all see how this progresses in "factuality", if it can.

Is it just me, or does this sound like a "story"

The incredibly specific details are similar in scope to my reading a fiction or sci-fi book.

I don't know, and to no offense to the OP, but I guess we will all see how this progresses in "factuality", if it can.

I am truly sorry that I am your definition of "hokey." Believe me I didn't intend it. I'm a lot calmer now. The funny thing is that I would have been the first one in to any "haunted" house....In that case, I can assure you I wouldn't be a whimp. I would be looking for it, seeking, maybe even expecting it...... I was neither...nor had I been engaging in any thinking even in that realm today. It will be a little while if you are expecting me to "develop" this story. I was simply seeking others input who might have had similar unexpected experiences.

I would also agree with being on the side of being skeptical but, if you ever have this happen you will remember what I have said. I wasn't expecting it...I was simply on my way for dog food.

Edited by Duncansmom

I am truly sorry that I am your definition of "hokey." Believe me I didn't intend it. I'm a lot calmer now. The funny thing is that I would have been the first one in to any "haunted" house....In that case, I can assure you I wouldn't be a whimp. I would be looking for it, seeking, maybe even expecting it...... I was neither...nor had I been engaging in any thinking even in that realm today. It will be a little while if you are expecting me to "develop" this story. I was simply seeking others input who might have had similar unexpected experiences.

I would also agree with being on the side of being skeptical but, if you ever have this happen you will remember what I have said. I wasn't expecting it...I was simply on my way for dog food.

So, no name of town or links to a News article ?

So, no name of town or links to a News article ?

And what in the heck would that prove to you??? I bet I could come up with at least seven descriptions of law officer murders that would fit the description I put out there. The POINT IS if you have never experienced something that was there and then gone in an instant, it isn't going to prove anything.....

I don't need to prove who I THOUGHT it might have been. I give you a news article...that proves NOTHING!! . There was what I thought was a person there...then it was gone. I am the one who then referenced what and who I thought it might have been. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe another prisoner died in their damn backseat. He didn't have a name tattooed on his arm. I am not being evasive now. I don't the heck know!

I need to hear from those who have experienced something like this!

Edited by Duncansmom

And what in the heck would that prove to you???

That you are not making that story up....

I bet I could come up with at least seven descriptions of law officer murders that would fit the description I put out there.

Amuse me.....Find even one that fits your description, and I will send you $ 100.00

The POINT IS if you have never experienced something that was there and then gone in an instant, it isn't going to prove anything.....

Yes I have, a couple of times......

Look, it is quite obvious now that you made up the dead Deputy story......Now, unfortunatley, it is hard to believe anything else.

Not that I care really, I have more important things to worry about for now.

Also, now you do kind of need to back up your story. If you want to hear from people that have experienced things like this,( I have ) they will read from the start, and see you may not be honest. Some back ups to your claim could really help with this.

You can only make one first impression..........

• Like 4

And what in the heck would that prove to you??? I bet I could come up with at least seven descriptions of law officer murders that would fit the description I put out there. The POINT IS if you have never experienced something that was there and then gone in an instant, it isn't going to prove anything.....

I don't need to prove who I THOUGHT it might have been. I give you a news article...that proves NOTHING!! . There was what I thought was a person there...then it was gone. I am the one who then referenced what and who I thought it might have been. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe another prisoner died in their damn backseat. He didn't have a name tattooed on his arm. I am not being evasive now. I don't the heck know!

I need to hear from those who have experienced something like this!

You do realize, I hope, that speculative claims without evidence will get one eaten alive here on UM!

And I'm one of those sharks. Well, disquised as a cute dolphin in my case. :w00t:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 6

First off, there is no way in Hell that would not be in the News, and easily found on the internet. So, knowing it was on the News ( if true ), that " little town " would not be so secret anymore now would it?

What does giving a name of a town, and state have to do with protecting a family?

The biggest excuse in the book : I do not want to reveal that location, as to protect people there.......Oh, good one. Now you have the mods to back you from any further questions.

I googled, I Binged, there is no story anywhere of 2 illegal immigrants, nor 2 men, nor 2 women, killing a Deputy as you describe.

You are lying, and that is obvious from the responses here. Sorry to be so blunt, but I am just not into not telling the truth. Life is short, say it how you see it.......

I would like to ask, what does revealing the name of the town have to do with protecting anyone?.......Especially here ?.....Hell, anywhere?

And what would giving you a name mean.....I could pin it on 20 different deaths in law enforcement here. What would a name prove to you?

Maybe I was wrong and I what I saw was the specter of a druggie who died trying to lean forward in a Sheriff's car. Would that be less important to you? I saw a person leaning forward between the front seat and the back one minute that was gone in the next.

No, I did not take a photograph. If it was a druggie leaning forward trying to get that Sheriff Deputy's attention, would that specter be less important to you?

Do you have a clue of the real issue here?

Edited by Duncansmom
  • Like 1

Wow a Haunted ghost car! they is a good and well written ghost story!

Also it sounds like the cop you called knew something that was going on.

This is kind of crazy.. it should be checked out.

Edited by LostSouls7
  • Like 1

I owe Duncansmom $100.00 .......

That is all I can say. I found the Deputy story to be true.

Wow; you folks can be cruel. I still believe her and no proof needed.

I owe Duncansmom $100.00 .......

That is all I can say. I found the Deputy story to be true.

You straight up accused her of lying and "all you can say" is to jokingly comment that you owe her a $100.00? Apparently, it's escaped your attention that what you owe her is a sincere apology.

• Like 2

Why couldn't the story be true. Stranger things have happend, and not everyone is making up stories for cheap thrills. The fact the dispatcher or whoever DuncansMom talked to kept her on the line and didn't cut her off says that this isn't the first time it happend.Othe rpeople may have reported it as well.

The deputy's death may have been just a local story and one that never made national news.Lots of those around all the time,

I read on Texas Escapes about some work being done on the old Blanco County Courthouse.When they were renovating the place,a human leg bone was discovered. Now i haven't heard anything further about it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.I think it was the old courthouse in the town of Blanco. It was the original county seat until an election was held and Johnson City was made the county seat.The town was named for the relatives of Lyndon Baines Johnson,who had a place near Stonewall here in Texas.There wasn't any reason to be mean to the lady.If you told me such a story I may very well believe you.We should give each other the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

Thanks, Dolly, having an open mind. :yes:

I have no idea re. it being National News or not. I remember flags were lowered for what seemed like a long time but that order would have come from the governor. It was so said when it happened, I really didn't follow the case. Another poster asked me about the two who did and, you know, I don't even remember except that only one of them was prosecuted for murder. When it was happening just one of those things that was too awful to look at. No sentence would be enough.

However, back to my last post. I never ever said I saw any part of a uniform. My mind just went to what I thought might be the most obvious. However, any cruiser has been involved in a lot of things and a lot of tragedy.

All I know one minute I saw something, the next minute it was gone.

• 2 months later...

You've got a good point there, Sakari!

Am I the only one who gets why not going into detail is protecting the dead deputy's loved ones? Let's just say having one's family tragedy turn into an Internet Meme would be a hideous experience.

Not to mention that, from the level of thoughtfulness and compassion in some of these replies, I wouldn't release the name of my arch-enemy on this thread, let alone anyone I had a modicum of respect or regard for.

• Like 2