Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Coronal Hole Near the Sun’s North Pole

Waspie_Dwarf

Large Coronal Hole Near the Sun’s North Pole

The European Space Agency/NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, or SOHO, captured this image of a gigantic coronal hole hovering over the sun’s north pole on July 18, 2013, at 9:06 a.m. EDT. Coronal holes are dark, low density regions of the sun’s outermost atmosphere, the corona. They contain little solar material, have lower temperatures, and therefore, appear much darker than their surroundings.

arrow3.gifRead more...

A giant "hole" covering nearly a quarter of the Sun's atmospheric surface has been caught on camera by a Nasa telescope.

The darker section at the top of the Sun in the above video is a coronal hole - part of the star's atmosphere where its magnetic field bursts open and spurts streams of solar material out into space.

It appears as a dark "hole" on the surface of the sun because the process makes its atmosphere cooler and less dense than those around it.

http://www.telegraph...spacecraft.html

freaky

Uh, can I presume that this is not going to do something weird, like, you know, blow-up the sun or fry the Earth?

I hope not. The author doesn't seem to think it is anything unusual, but it makes me nervous about the sun going out like a snuffed birthday candle.

Edited by moonshadow60

Obviously being caused by global warming.

How is something happening on the earth effecting the sun? Global warming is in regard to our globe... I'm thinking you're trying to be facetious?

How is something happening on the earth effecting the sun? Global warming is in regard to our globe... I'm thinking you're trying to be facetious?

its a joke

a dark hole covering 1/4 on the sun. why i cant see it?

'cause your not a satellite with ultraviolet imaging.

• Like 2

So is stars falling from the sky, lets keep it to hard science.

Huffington post posted an article explaining that the holes happen at times of activity within the sun, perhaps the magnetic flip has something to do with it

I take it the poles are about to flip.

Large Coronal Hole Near the Sun's North Pole

I have noticed that when the Earth gets blasted by the Coronal Hole Emissions that speed of the solar wind gauge jumps

from about 250 km/sec to 650 km/sec.

That added speed pushes our magnetosphere out of the way.

Does that sound about right?