Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The warren's

wisdomview

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I live in Connecticut, US and was wondering how popular, if at all, the Warren's are to the rest of the US or even the World? The're a pretty big deal here. At least to fans of the paranormal. I've seen then twice and have enjoyed both presentations. What are your thoughts about them? Real or a big hoax? For those who don't know them they're paranormal researchers. The Warren's biggest case was the Amityville Horror.

Does anybody know about the Lindley St. case in Bridgeport, CT that they were invovled in, in 1974? I wasn't born yet, but my parents tell me it was a huge deal. All major networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) ran news stories about this haunted house only to say that it was a hoax a few days later. The Warrens, from what little info I found on the case, claim it was a real haunting.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oubli

• vertigoflow

• Tia

• wisdomview

Okay this is the second say in a row that I've heard of The Warren's. Who are they what, what have they done and do they have a website?

I think that they are pretty well known. They have written a couple of books, been involved with some well known cases (Amittyville is the most famous), go on lecture tours/slide shows, starred in some TV shows, etc.. Lorraine the wife is a psychic and Ed her Husband is a Demonologist. I don't think that Ed does the lectures any more after suffering from a stroke a few years back. I have read a few of their books and liked them. They live not too far from me and have been tempted to contact them about going on their haunted artifacts/museum tour. Though I am unsure if it's worth the price.

the website is www.warrens.net

I've heard of the Warrens only because of Amityville Horror. I don't think that many people in Australia would know of who they are.

I didn't know who they were either until cyberdoll gave me the website which is mentioned above by wisdomview. It was really interesting to read about the Amityville house, I've been interested in that case since I first learned of it in the 70's when I was a little kid.

user posted image

Edited by earthygirl04

Does anybody know about the Lindley St. case in Bridgeport, CT that they were invovled in, in 1974?

OMG!!! I AM READING THAT BOOK RIGHT NOW!! THE DEVIL IN CONNECTICUT--I have to say its the SCRARIEST book I've ever read, and I have a read a lot of "demonologist" based books (ie: In a Dark Place, The Haunted, The Other Side, etc)....In fact, it's so scary I refuse to read it at night..only when its daylight or on my breaks at work...and I have never had to do that before....

Well I live in Idaho, and I've known for years and years about The Warrens, but I also have an extensive "ghost book" collection in which they are mentioned over and over in books I have. I don't know if any of my friends would recognize the name, unless they were heavily into ghosts as well.

I highly respect the Warrens and still believe the Amityville case was real, due a lot to the fact they were involved...I enjoy reading about their lives, and also respect the fact that they do not charge for their services. They are A-OK in my book! original.gifthumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...

I've heard of the Warrens only because of Amityville Horror. I don't think that many people in Australia would know of who they are.

I'll back Tia up! The Warrens aren't well known in Australia at all and I can't think of any well know ghost busting Aussies either!

I have a paperback copy of the book "In A Dark Place" written by Ed & Lorraine Warren and Carmen and AL Snedeker for sale. This was the book that "A Haunting in Connecticut" was based one. I am asking $125 because its rare and hard to find...if anyone is interested, please email me ....

Wow, your last 6 posts have been spam for this book. I can easily find two copies online for around $80 and am seriously considering posting the link to them on every thread you spam.

Edited by vertigoflow

A lot of people consider them frauds. It is clear that money motivates them.

A lot of people consider them frauds. It is clear that money motivates them.

Yeah, some people say "They're not in it for the money, they help people for free," but it looks like they do make a lot from they're speaking engagments, books and such.

I'm also from CT, where they're well known, but I moved to MA and it seems they're not as well known here. In CT they get press advertising for their lectures every halloween it seems. I see them mentioned online every once and awhile.

I think peoples opinion of them has a lot to do with they're opinion on their methods. If someone doesn't believe in psychics, demons and the religious approach to treating paranormal problems than they're going to see the warrens as BS-artists.

Yeh iv heard of them .I find them the most believable paranormal investigators, They seem like a genuine honest couple. I seen them recently in show were a family home was terrorised by a demon and 3spirits.

The Warrens are pretty well known in the states, but in my opinion they are frauds and prey upon a lot of people who are in need of help.

Their biggest scam, The Amityville Horror. A Haunting in Connecticut was also grossly exaggerated. A few of the investigators came out and said it was exaggerated and that the family had some problems, some with drugs.

I've read a couple of their books and they are entertaining. But, if you will notice every case they go on there is a demon or the devil lurking about and it is most horrible. You have to think, what are the chances of every case being this way?

I am a believer of the paranormal existing, but not of the Warrens.

Edited by amybutts

The Warrens are pretty well known in the states, but in my opinion they are frauds and prey upon a lot of people who are in need of help.

Their biggest scam, The Amityville Horror. A Haunting in Connecticut was also grossly exaggerated. A few of the investigators came out and said it was exaggerated and that the family had some problems, some with drugs.

I've read a couple of their books and they are entertaining. But, if you will notice every case they go on there is a demon or the devil lurking about and it is most horrible. You have to think, what are the chances of every case being this way?

I am a believer of the paranormal exhausting, but not of the Warrens.

Yeh I found the whole demon thing a bit strange. Also when they said to a family you cant leave the house and runaway you must fight. That’s the only point I thought they want them to stay to get money.

But, if you will notice every case they go on there is a demon or the devil lurking about and it is most horrible. You have to think, what are the chances of every case being this way?

Maybe those are the only ones they think are interesting enough to write about. Would people still buy their books if for every demon chapter there were four chapters of "Couldn't find anything but we got an orb pic." or "It was a branch tapping on the window." or "Gee, what were they smoking?" ?

Maybe those are the only ones they think are interesting enough to write about. Would people still buy their books if for every demon chapter there were four chapters of "Couldn't find anything but we got an orb pic." or "It was a branch tapping on the window." or "Gee, what were they smoking?" ?

Maybe they would be a bit more credible if they added some debunkings in their books, instead of some of the cases that were exposed as a hoax. :)

Edited by amybutts

• 2 weeks later...

Last I was told the warrens were deceased, is this true? Also I heard they lived near the greenlady cemetary,burlington, true as well? If they are around I really could their help so if anyone could tell me yes or no to the above questions, this could really help me. Thanks,Bread

Last I was told the warrens were deceased, is this true? Also I heard they lived near the greenlady cemetary,burlington, true as well? If they are around I really could their help so if anyone could tell me yes or no to the above questions, this could really help me. Thanks,Bread

No, they are not dead. Ed, I believe, suffered a stroke and does not get around as well anymore and therefore is not seen much publicly. Lorraine, I believe, spends most of her time taking care of Ed. Therefore, they are not in the public eye much anymore.

But then again, I could be wrong.

No, they are not dead. Ed, I believe, suffered a stroke and does not get around as well anymore and therefore is not seen much publicly. Lorraine, I believe, spends most of her time taking care of Ed. Therefore, they are not in the public eye much anymore.

But then again, I could be wrong.

I first heard of The Warren's when they were featured in the book Satan's Harvest by Michael Lasalandra. After that, I've seen them on various TV programs.

I apologise in advance if what I have to say offends anyone, this is just my personal opinion and I will add that I have only seen the Warren's on TV so my views are only based on this limited experience:

I think they come across as being deluded. They seem to play the stereotypical role of the psychic investigator/exorcist as portrayed in many a bad movie. The rituals they use for "cleansing" houses are also very much in line with what I have seen in bad movies such as The Amytiville Horror. Unsurprisingly the rituals are based on christian religious beliefs.

I would also like to point out that the Warren's have made a living from what they do and at the same time have been given countless opportunities to promote their religious beliefs. In my view it would appear that they don't do what they do for the benefit of their health.

I'm sorry but I just find it all very convenient.

Yes they are known here in the U.K by some people with an interest in the paranormal but I can't comment on their popularity outside my own opinion.

Edited by Crazy Funk

• 6 years later...

http://edandlorrainewarren.com/808/lindley-street-haunting/

Hello. I also live in CT. I was not born until 93 and my mother tells me the same thing you mother tells you. I am new to the forum and I have found your request for information so I have given you a link above. It will tell you about what has happened in the house, but a definate answer is not given. It is more of a "You be the Judge" kind of thing. Hope this information helps. :tu: