Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clouds behind the moon?

Columbo

I was just wondering if anyone has been seeing these latest videos of what appears to be clouds passing behind the moon, which of course should be impossible. Any one on here know anything about this? I will put a link here to one of the bids but there are many of them out there.

http://youtu.be/QvH73zaK1T4

Clouds of different thickness.... obviously there's no way a cloud could actually be behind the moon. But it is a cool image :)

• Like 1

any chance of linking a still Columbo, for those of us with crap technology....?

I watched the first 30 seconds...

Interesting that the clouds behind the Moon are moving at the same perceptual speed as the clouds moving in front of the Moon. Which tells us that no such thing is happening. This is an illusion due to the brightness of the Moon and thinness of the clouds in places.

• Like 5

Looks like it, but it isn't. As 'and then' said: the clouds aren't sufficient to dim the light from the moon, so they become invisible as they pass across it's face - thus the illusion of them passing behind the moon.

That is what I thought, an illusion due the different thicknesses if the clouds.

I watched the moon disappear and appear within the clouds last night right after the Sun set, and wasn't even perceptive enough to notice the illusion itself.

Another case under your belt, Columbo. Well done.

*70s outro music*

• Like 2