Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
shephardess

Haunted by a living person

32 posts in this topic

This is a bizarre story. I am aware that the reaction of most people who read this will be that I am mentally ill. If that is your opinion, I would like to request that you keep your opinion to yourself. I am posting here because this is a forum dedicated to unexplained mysteries and so I am hoping to be listened to with respect.

Several years ago, after much soul searching and on the advice of a therapist, I decided to cut off contact with my mother. She is a very manipulative, controlling, abusive and intrusive person. She is a narcissist with a capitol N. There is not one relative of mine who does not agree with this assessment. I knew it would be difficult to cut ties without her agreement because she cannot stand to be ignored but I felt this was a necessary step to heal from the extreme life long emotional abuse.

Here is when things get weird. After not speaking to her for some time (I had to change my phone number and move away), I began to witness strange occurrences. I would be having a conversation with someone and suddenly they would say something to me completely out of context. They would speak in her voice, use her verbal expressions and they would know things about me that only she would know. When this happened, often the person I was speaking with would seem surprised or disoriented and more than once would say something like, "I don't know why I just said that." .It happened with several different people, some of whom had never met her.

My mother has always had an attraction to paranormal stuff and the occult and visits psychics and claims to be able to make people do her bidding by some secret method. I have never been afraid of her in that way and didn't believe her until these incidents started happening.

SO, if you think I'm crazy, no problem, I have a therapist with a different opinion.

If you have some experience with or knowledge of this type of phenomena, including how to make it stop, I would be pleased to hear about it from you.

Thank you for reading

2 people like this

I cannot think of anything more horrific at this moment. I believe you! Whether it's a real phenomenon or not is mute. Try visualizing gold light surrounding her and do some binding imagery.

As you know, you will get blasted by some. My point is that it doesn't matter if it's real or not. Even if symbolic the visualizations and binding work will help.

Especially if it is real!

Good luck and I hope you realize you are so much more than what you were lead to believe.

3 people like this

Bless you, Lava Lady! Thank you for your suggestion and compassion! I think you hit the nail on the head about binding. Your post was so honest and real it made me laugh with relief. I feel much better now. I will definitely do the visualizations. Thank you for believing me.

3 people like this

I feel that these type of issues have to do with spiritual attack. That we are given our environments and circumstances and relatives for a reason and that there is more to the picture than the here and now. I have for a long time felt that the spiritual/mental go hand and hand. Now for your mother to possess these qualities and for you to endure this since childhood is an attack against your soul and even when you try to cut ties it is still coming after you. I know you love your mother but this thing is bigger than her so she has yet to break away from it and so i dont think its her thats after you but a greater spirit. I am the type that is always thinking of god and so I am the type to say that you are gifted and from a gifted family line that is close to the spirit. When we see the devil nearby it is as if god is drawing us near. I would pray for your mom and dwell in the presence of god asking for wisdom, protection, clarity and balance. If you understand your mothers mental condition or at least accept that this is the reason for her misconduct over the years you can forgive her. That is not to say that you would bring yourself back into a place of being her victim or even talking to or dealing with her but if you can eminate love and forgiveness toward her it would be an aid in your own healing if not also a spring board for hers. I would say, since you are spiritual and from a spiritually inclined family you do have powers in the realms and those would be to be protected and have powers in prayer. God bless and keep you. If you desire health and keep yourself in its environment you will be well. The powers of light always defeat darkness. Its just the way it is...

God bless.

2 people like this

Bless you, Lava Lady! Thank you for your suggestion and compassion! I think you hit the nail on the head about binding. Your post was so honest and real it made me laugh with relief. I feel much better now. I will definitely do the visualizations. Thank you for believing me.

I promise the binding will help, not all at once but be diligent. Take the power back from the idea of her. Use self talk to remind yourself that you are no longer her victim.

Don't let anyone derail you, it does not matter what anyone thinks. The only thing that matters is you break the hold your mother had on you.

I swear when I read your post my stomach turned from the familiarity of it all. Your post coincided with my own struggle with narcissistic personalities and I honestly just posted a poem in the writers forum (my first posting) discussing it.

I want you to know that your courage to risk the harsh skeptics and naysayers resulted in reminding me to do the very think I suggested to you. Reminded me to take my strength back when I was feeling a bit on the low side.

So, thank YOU. :)

2 people like this

You're not mentally ill. I am haunted by my boss. Daily.

2 people like this

I feel that these type of issues have to do with spiritual attack. .......... The powers of light always defeat darkness. Its just the way it is...

SpiritWriter, your post resonates with what I feel is true. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will incorporate your suggestions in my plan for defensive measures.

LavaLady I am glad my post helped you, you are very welcome! I know the binding will work. I felt immediate relief and an opening of my heart chakra after visualizing the gold surrounding my mother.I have tried something similar in the past but I believe the gold was the missing link. So, thanks again.

Antilles, thank you expressing your belief that I'm not mentally ill!

You say your boss is haunting you daily. Care to elaborate? I am very interested in others' experiences.

Shrooma, I am sorry that I don't quite understand the meaning of your post. I clicked on the link but it didn't really lead anywhere. Anyway, thanks for your input.

3 people like this

If you knew my 'boss', you'd understand my use of the term haunting.....

I'm sure you're not crazy, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be explained by a mental illness.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but most unexplained things have non-fastistical explanations.

2 people like this

I don't think you're mentally ill. Maybe a lot of it's fear of your mother. It's frightening to think she could have supernatural powers to spy on you, especially that you've had to get away from her. Some people, meaning those who've caused harm and pain towards someone for a long time, latch onto their victims even if they're not around them. It may come through in bad dreams and "hauntings". What you need is healing in a way to move on from your mother, and get on in your fresh new life.

Have you talked this over with your therapist?

3 people like this

Have you talked this over with your therapist?

My therapist is aware of the issues with my mother but not this particular aspect of it because she is at present a very closed minded person. She does however seem to be becoming more open to alternative therapies as time progresses. If I tell her about this I want to make sure the timing is right. I will have to rely on intuition. She seems to have genuine respect for me which is important. Thank you for being open minded and understanding. The visualization Lava_Lady suggested has been extremely helpful. I can honestly say that practicing it has taken away a lot of the fear. I would say that this visualization practice and the concern and support I feel from forum members is helping me be stronger, more courageous. Bye the way, it hasn't happened so far since I posted about it for whatever reason. I am grateful. Thank you all.

3 people like this

I know you love your mother

I couldn't get this statement off my mind. I don't "love" her, I'd be a liar if I said I do. I don't hate her, I don't want revenge, I don't even judge her but I do not love her and that's the truth. I'm not even sure that she's really my mother and she certainly was never a mother to me. As a child I loved her because I had to to survive but I am not that child now. I do not love her except for the same compassion that I feel for all creatures.

I just needed to say that.

1 person likes this

I have never heard of anything like this regarding a living being actually somehow momentarily possessing people to taunt a victim.

I am very open minded so I am unsure what to think, I trust your account is sincere and I offer much sympathy to you for having to live under the stress of such a person. I find narcissists who have dark intentions suffer a disease that affects their close ones so deeply and venomously yet they also are being eroded inside each day they harbour such abrasive intentions. I am glad you are out of that environment.

One possibility (ignoring the paranormal/spiritual aspect of our race) is that the potency and deep scars of the subconscious/repressed energies are causing you to perceive or assign significant meaning to random occurrences over a period of time due to trauma at this person's hands. Your subconscious could be protecting itself and amending the memories so it seems as if the person said it in your mother's voice to give validation that you heard the words spoken by your mother. This would not be because you are simply 'mentally ill' (such a throwaway term!) but due to a long period of stress and darkness caused by your mother. There are so many examples of this occurring to people, I have experienced it in mild ways through traumatic memories I have had so i am not just spinning out wild theories. And please do not think I am intimating that I know anything about you by offering one possibility of how I see it from your one post. This is me trynna be rational. The 'knowing things only she would know' is discordant with this though.

That is on the simply physical plain where apparently there is no such thing as ghosts or the occult affecting people's lives or aliens or that governments exist to serve the people etc etc I don't subscribe exclusively to that interpretation of our realm but it is of course a possibility and such instances are quite common in psychological trauma. Now, the mention of the occult is intriguing. Do you have any information on specific areas/intents she has within that? Has she ever met any of the people you experienced say these things? Do you know these people well? How often has this occurred and in what timeframe? Could you give any insight into the things they said that only your mother would know? (Of course if they aren't painful/private).

Sorry for all the questions but it is an interesting topic that I have not came across before. Your description of the people who have been used as a vessel/messenger, so to speak, not aware yet visibly react to the utterance is strange. There would surely have to be some kind of focus from your mother on these people to have that extent of influence.

I have heard of beings that are considered supernatural affecting furniture, lights, mood and luck of people, all revolves around having lived in the negative during their lives, so I suppose it could certainly work whilst the person is still alive. That could mean you still have some of this person's dark and poisonous energy around you, latching onto is an interesting concept, I just don't see how it could correlate with momentarily influencing other people's voices and actual mind. There is no science for this kind of stuff though so everything is conjecture and imagination. Meditating and thinking of how far you have come, lots of walking amidst nature, time with loving people and working through the traumatic thoughts in a caring environment and on your own time are certainly steps in the right direction, keep well and strong x

1 person likes this

I'm not likely to believe in paranormal things.

But honestly that doesn't matter, what matters is that these are real to you, and if the visualizations talked about earlier help you, well dang.

Who am I to say otherwise. You seem to have gotten or are getting past it, so

Ultimately I think that would be the most important regardless of what means it too you to get to that point.

2 people like this

I was going to say you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder cause it sounds like you have some symptoms. But if the people realize that they said that stuff randomly then I just don't know. That's weird.

I am glad you had the courage though to leave her. I have friends who just stay abused their whole life because they never gain the courage to put a end to it.

You are strong.

Unfortunately I have no advice to give about your weird problem, I would say just ignore it.

2 people like this

I have never heard of anything like this regarding a living being actually somehow momentarily possessing people to taunt a victim.

I am very open minded so I am unsure what to think, I trust your account is sincere and I offer much sympathy to you for having to live under the stress of such a person. I find narcissists who have dark intentions suffer a disease that affects their close ones so deeply and venomously yet they also are being eroded inside each day they harbour such abrasive intentions. I am glad you are out of that environment.

Thank you.

One possibility (ignoring the paranormal/spiritual aspect of our race) is that the potency and deep scars of the subconscious/repressed energies are causing you to perceive or assign significant meaning to random occurrences over a period of time due to trauma at this person's hands. Your subconscious could be protecting itself and amending the memories so it seems as if the person said it in your mother's voice to give validation that you heard the words spoken by your mother. This would not be because you are simply 'mentally ill' (such a throwaway term!) but due to a long period of stress and darkness caused by your mother. There are so many examples of this occurring to people, I have experienced it in mild ways through traumatic memories I have had so i am not just spinning out wild theories. And please do not think I am intimating that I know anything about you by offering one possibility of how I see it from your one post. This is me trynna be rational.

Yes, you are correct and I have considered this at length.

The 'knowing things only she would know' is discordant with this though.

Yes, this is what makes it so unusual and seem strange.

That is on the simply physical plain where apparently there is no such thing as ghosts or the occult affecting people's lives or aliens or that governments exist to serve the people etc etc I don't subscribe exclusively to that interpretation of our realm but it is of course a possibility and such instances are quite common in psychological trauma. Now, the mention of the occult is intriguing. Do you have any information on specific areas/intents she has within that?

She has bragged to my sisters and others that she has learned brainwashing techniques and uses them on people and everyone who knows her is afraid of her but not so much because they think she has supernatural abilities but because she is extremely cruel and a master manipulator. She has an ability to hypnotize over the phone and I have caught her doing it with me and I wonder if she has successfully done so in the past. She is friends with fortune tellers and has some experience with Tarot but I am not sure what else she has been involved with . I only know she has always had a keen interest it supernatural things, mainly with an interest in controlling people. She despises all religion or mention of any deity.

Has she ever met any of the people you experienced say these things? Do you know these people well?
This has mainly happened with my own adult children with whom she has had very little contact with at all and at the time of these occurrences had not had any contact with in years, I am quite sure of this fact.
How often has this occurred and in what timeframe? Could you give any insight into the things they said that only your mother would know?

This has occurred about 3 times and each time lasted about a week or two. What I mean about things only she would know is that the person, whichever one it seemed she was speaking through at the time, would say verbatim, something that she had recently said to me that was upsetting. They used the exact tone of voice and the phrase was exactly the same and they used words she uses that they do not normally use because they grew up in a different part of the country. One time it happened with a neighbor that she had never met. I live thousands of miles away from her and haven't seen her in over 10 years but have only rarely spoken to her on the phone.

Sorry for all the questions but it is an interesting topic that I have not came across before. Your description of the people who have been used as a vessel/messenger, so to speak, not aware yet visibly react to the utterance is strange. There would surely have to be some kind of focus from your mother on these people to have that extent of influence.

Yes, even in the occult world it would seem so and according to occultits this is possible by concentrating on a picture of the person but that does not explain the neighbor.

I have heard of beings that are considered supernatural affecting furniture, lights, mood and luck of people, all revolves around having lived in the negative during their lives, so I suppose it could certainly work whilst the person is still alive. That could mean you still have some of this person's dark and poisonous energy around you, latching onto is an interesting concept, I just don't see how it could correlate with momentarily influencing other people's voices and actual mind. There is no science for this kind of stuff though so everything is conjecture and imagination. Meditating and thinking of how far you have come, lots of walking amidst nature, time with loving people and working through the traumatic thoughts in a caring environment and on your own time are certainly steps in the right direction, keep well and strong x

I very much appreciate your concern and attention. I know there is not evidence of this in mainstream science , however, I have seen some very strange things happen in my life that science can not explain and not all of them were negative. Thanks for replying

1 person likes this

I was going to say you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder cause it sounds like you have some symptoms. But if the people realize that they said that stuff randomly then I just don't know. That's weird.

I am glad you had the courage though to leave her. I have friends who just stay abused their whole life because they never gain the courage to put a end to it.

You are strong.

Unfortunately I have no advice to give about your weird problem, I would say just ignore it.

I have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder but you are right. That does not explain people knowing these things. Thank you for your encouragement.

1 person likes this

I'm not likely to believe in paranormal things.

But honestly that doesn't matter, what matters is that these are real to you, and if the visualizations talked about earlier help you, well dang.

Who am I to say otherwise. You seem to have gotten or are getting past it, so

Ultimately I think that would be the most important regardless of what means it too you to get to that point.

Thank you, I respect your beliefs and appreciate your concern and the visualization does help but I think being able to talk about it with you guys is helping just as much. :yes:

That would be my guess also.

One of these weird moments where teh paranormal and teh skeptic have similar means to an end :tu:

1 person likes this

Do you know what occult " path " she is following? That could be helpful... The occult as such is not my main thing but I was taught as a tarot reader by mom 30 years ago and have a passing Knowledge of hoodoo folk magic....which is probably what she is using

Do you know what occult " path " she is following? That could be helpful... The occult as such is not my main thing but I was taught as a tarot reader by mom 30 years ago and have a passing Knowledge of hoodoo folk magic....which is probably what she is using

No I really don't. I know my grandmother used to live in the Virgin Islands and once when she came to visit they were doing something secretive that they didn't want me to know about but anything she did she would have kept hidden from me anyway. My sister claims to be a witch and once made a voodoo dol of her ex boyfriend and stuck pins in the back and then he broke his back. Of course it could have been a coincidence.

most witches I know stay away from voodoo ...I have known some people who practice hoodoo folk magic and use the term witch but it is more likely she is just on the fringes of the occult and has no idea what she is doing... You mom on the other hand might be another issue...if you do not meditate start doing so and practice visualization of light... and start looking into psychic self defense...perhaps the same techniques you would use to ward of a psychic vampire ...sounds something like that...if you meditate and work with light it has the added bonus that it is helpful no matter if it is your mom , your sister , your mind , or anything else .

1 person likes this

Sounds like a plan, thank you

Thanks for the information shepardess! It is definitely a unique situation, I say that with interest as a paranormal enthusiast and also with a lot of respect and shock for what you have experienced! That must have been horrendous to hear that through your children even for such fleeting moments! Focusing on images I guess is a possibility, all sorts can be done with a mere belonging, the mind and intent, dark or light can travel extremely far of course. The neighbour thing, perhaps some energy is attached to you of hers and operated with some sentience, I haven't the foggiest, it is all odd territory!

I don't think that psychological trauma is linked to you perceiving the events due to the subjects reactions to speaking in such a manner (that is if you are telling the truth, which I do believe). Hearing about your mother's background certainly adds a layer of intrigue, I am sure there are many more versed in the occult that could offer some advice or knowledge into possible methods. It is a form of possessing people near to you, which is disturbing, I wouldn't like this to escalate, whether it is an energy she has unleashed through some kind of projection or whatever... I think the woman needs to be stopped but again, how would one go about such a thing?

The only other explanation is that you also imagined their reactions to what they said, repeatedly and to be denying it and more or less confronting the defense mechanism by posting on a forum about it. That would be extremely unlikely and of course you have said you've already explored the psychological possibility and are not seeking attention or making up a hollywood story. So I am baffled by these events but have came across accounts on forums where voodoo/occult objects have wreaked absolute havoc on people's lives and they all seem like normal people who aren't stringing folk along. I am most interested in how your mother, if it is by her act, how she affected your children like that, it is very disturbing to consider.

2 people like this