Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trouble w/the "BigFeet"?

tinysbox13

There is speculation that "BigFoot" is all but a person(s) (I count midgets as people too) in a "gorilla" outfit. I cannot 100% deny this claim. There is alot of dumb videos/photos of tracers out there. Now I've also heard of people shooting at the "BigFeet," for reasons of wanting/needing the physical proof of the damn thang.

The point I'm trying to make; would you get into trouble, by law or whatnots, if you were to shoot a "BigFeet" and it turned out to be a person(s) in a "gorilla" costume? :huh:

Thank you for your time.

The point I'm trying to make; would you get into trouble, by law or whatnots, if you were to shoot a "BigFeet" and it turned out to be a person(s) in a "gorilla" costume? :huh:

I don't think the people that ran over the dude in a bigfoot suit faced any charges. I guess as long as you were legally hunting, you could just say you thought it was a bear.

There is speculation that "BigFoot" is all but a person(s) (I count midgets as people too) in a "gorilla" outfit. I cannot 100% deny this claim. There is alot of dumb videos/photos of tracers out there. Now I've also heard of people shooting at the "BigFeet," for reasons of wanting/needing the physical proof of the damn thang.

Thank you for your time.

Depends on a number of things. What state you were in? Were you n fear for your life? Did you contact the authorities or did you take off and they had to track you down?

You can be charged with an almost mundane charge like Involuntary manslaughter, or you could be charge with up to second degree murder. First degree murder requires that you intended and premeditated on killing the person in the suit, while knowing it was a person in a suit. Or, you might not be charged at all. Often times people who shoot other hunters are never charged and it's considered a terrible accident.

Then too, the person who put on the suit should have understood that this was a real possibility, getting shot, that is. So, he bears some responsibility for his own actions, but here again it will depend on factors like the mindset of the area as to whether it was a criminal act or not.

Edited by keninsc

yeah i agree it would be said persons fault for wearing a costume like that in a hunting area

I don't think the people that ran over the dude in a bigfoot suit faced any charges. I guess as long as you were legally hunting, you could just say you thought it was a bear.

The gentleman was actually struck by two different cars, both driven by young girls who probably couldn't see him and couldn't stop in time. He was wearing a full body ghillie suit, at night, along side a road. When this occurred, authorities were going to have a toxicology report done to determine if the gent was drinking prior to the accident. I don't recall any other news concerning results of the toxicology examination or any lawsuits.

The gentleman was actually struck by two different cars, both driven by young girls who probably couldn't see him and couldn't stop in time. He was wearing a full body ghillie suit, at night, along side a road. When this occurred, authorities were going to have a toxicology report done to determine if the gent was drinking prior to the accident. I don't recall any other news concerning results of the toxicology examination or any lawsuits.

Geeeez hit by two cars

Thank you for your time.

I have a Bigfoot costume. It is on loan right now for some " filming ".

First, as said, if someone shot him ( lets use him as the guy in the suit ) in an area where Elk are, and hunting season is on, and the person has a tag, he will be just fine....Hunting accident.

And, as mentioned, very stupid move on his part for doing it there. I can see he knows these things, and is staying clear of areas like this.

Now, I would hope, and I am sure, other people are the same way. Not to mention, anyone making a hoax does not want to go way out of town ( where people hunt ) just to film a fake video. They will stay close, maybe even a park. A lot do this in National, or State Parks where hunting is illegal.

I did it a few times, and I did it in an area where no hunting is allowed, and where heavy tourism is at. I had a spotter where the cars parked to look at the meadow, and the lighthouse.

The people using the costume now will be doing the same thing. Empire Lakes, Oregon if anyone wants to know, or sees a future sighting on youtube, or on BFRO's site. They will be going to a crowded tourist place, a place where many have cameras. And, some in the group will have cameras.

So, as far as someone shooting one. I do not think that will ever happen. People are not running around in a costume all alone, through hunting areas during hunting season. They are going to parks, and are not going alone, they have at least one person there with a camera. They would not be quiet doing this.

I hunted for over 20 years, and I know a lot of people that do. I am 100% sure that a true hunter would recognize a person in a costume, and the person shooting the video, and would not take a shot......Hunters are not stupid.

My most important point.....People doing this do not go out into hunting areas, and they are not doing this alone.

So....If someone shot me, or my friend, doing this, while we had a person filming, in a no hunting zone......I would say at the least, manslaughter. But, I really doubt it would happen.

Someone mentioned " if you were afraid for your life "......Someone has been watching the latest TV court hearings...That is in Texas, and is intended for if someone is attacking you, or being aggressive towards you.....I doubt anyone in a Bigfoot costume is going to do that. So that excuse is out.

You can change this around.....

Say me and a few friends are making a Movie on our own. We have a Moose costume that takes two people to operate. We are all set up for a scene, and start filming. We are just off of Highway 101, and on BLM land, no hunting, and no hunting season. The scene is just the Moose slowlly walking through the water........

Then some idiot stops, pulls out a gun, ( knowingly poaching ) and shoots the Moose, killing one of the actors.

That is the exact scenario, whether it is a bigfoot costume, a clown costume, or no costume......I am sure at least manslaughter. You could write diferent States fish and Game departments on this. I had written about 7 regarding if it were illegal to kill a Bigfoot, if one were real. They all answered, and all were very friendly......By the way, they all said there is no law for an animal that is not proven to exist.....Shoot away.

Anyway, I think I made my point....

• Like 1

Thank you for your time.

I'm not sure you would get in trouble. If a reasonable person feared for their life in such a situation and that resulted in them defending themselves, then I don't really think they could be convicted.

If your out to scare or hoax people, the one thing you don't want to do is lay in the middle of the road and expect the motorist to see you in time to stop just so you can jump and and say "boo". Ain't gonna happen.

As far as I'm concerned, man up and be responsible for your actions. If you wanna dress up in a wooly booger costume, be ready to face the consequences.

Geeeez hit by two cars

Looking back at news articles from then, first car struck him when he was standing in the right-hand lane, the second car struck him when he laying in the roadway. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I'm not sure you would get in trouble. If a reasonable person feared for their life in such a situation and that resulted in them defending themselves, then I don't really think they could be convicted.

Fearing for your life of someone in a ape costume not anywhere near you would not work. That law is for people being attacked, not just scared of something.

I wonder if " your honor, I just wanted the million dollar reward from Olympic Beer" would get you off the hook. :lol:

I have a Bigfoot costume. It is on loan right now for some " filming ".

First, as said, if someone shot him ( lets use him as the guy in the suit ) in an area where Elk are, and hunting season is on, and the person has a tag, he will be just fine....Hunting accident.

And, as mentioned, very stupid move on his part for doing it there. I can see he knows these things, and is staying clear of areas like this.

Now, I would hope, and I am sure, other people are the same way. Not to mention, anyone making a hoax does not want to go way out of town ( where people hunt ) just to film a fake video. They will stay close, maybe even a park. A lot do this in National, or State Parks where hunting is illegal.

I did it a few times, and I did it in an area where no hunting is allowed, and where heavy tourism is at. I had a spotter where the cars parked to look at the meadow, and the lighthouse.

The people using the costume now will be doing the same thing. Empire Lakes, Oregon if anyone wants to know, or sees a future sighting on youtube, or on BFRO's site. They will be going to a crowded tourist place, a place where many have cameras. And, some in the group will have cameras.

So, as far as someone shooting one. I do not think that will ever happen. People are not running around in a costume all alone, through hunting areas during hunting season. They are going to parks, and are not going alone, they have at least one person there with a camera. They would not be quiet doing this.

I hunted for over 20 years, and I know a lot of people that do. I am 100% sure that a true hunter would recognize a person in a costume, and the person shooting the video, and would not take a shot......Hunters are not stupid.

My most important point.....People doing this do not go out into hunting areas, and they are not doing this alone.

So....If someone shot me, or my friend, doing this, while we had a person filming, in a no hunting zone......I would say at the least, manslaughter. But, I really doubt it would happen.

Someone mentioned " if you were afraid for your life "......Someone has been watching the latest TV court hearings...That is in Texas, and is intended for if someone is attacking you, or being aggressive towards you.....I doubt anyone in a Bigfoot costume is going to do that. So that excuse is out.

You can change this around.....

Say me and a few friends are making a Movie on our own. We have a Moose costume that takes two people to operate. We are all set up for a scene, and start filming. We are just off of Highway 101, and on BLM land, no hunting, and no hunting season. The scene is just the Moose slowlly walking through the water........

Then some idiot stops, pulls out a gun, ( knowingly poaching ) and shoots the Moose, killing one of the actors.

That is the exact scenario, whether it is a bigfoot costume, a clown costume, or no costume......I am sure at least manslaughter. You could write diferent States fish and Game departments on this. I had written about 7 regarding if it were illegal to kill a Bigfoot, if one were real. They all answered, and all were very friendly......By the way, they all said there is no law for an animal that is not proven to exist.....Shoot away.

Anyway, I think I made my point....

I'll have to remember to reference this post when someone counters the "it's a guy in a suit" argument with "who would do that".

• Like 1

Fearing for your life of someone in a ape costume not anywhere near you would not work. That law is for people being attacked, not just scared of something.

Granted if you're talking about someone up on a hillside a quarter mile away, but I'm talking about these guys that like to put on suits and get right up next to folks. I could easily see someone making the defense that they were so utterly terrified for their life that they were compelled to defend themselves. And then back that up with evidence that the person was a firm believer in Bigfoot and this was a known Bigfoot sighting area.

It's kind of like the discussion we had about the hoax ghost scare video where the girl would come out of the secret panel in the elevator - some of those victims were absolutely terrified and who could fault them for feeling they had to defend themselves.

Granted if you're talking about someone up on a hillside a quarter mile away, but I'm talking about these guys that like to put on suits and get right up next to folks. I could easily see someone making the defense that they were so utterly terrified for their life that they were compelled to defend themselves. And then back that up with evidence that the person was a firm believer in Bigfoot and this was a known Bigfoot sighting area.

It's kind of like the discussion we had about the hoax ghost scare video where the girl would come out of the secret panel in the elevator - some of those victims were absolutely terrified and who could fault them for feeling they had to defend themselves.

Yes, I would have kicked that girl through the roof.....

I have never see a person in a suit going up to people and scaring them......Actually, I have yet to see people in videos that are not part of the hoax....

When I tried, my spotter had binoculors, and people had cameras.....He would look at my direction, and even say , that is weird....People looked, said nothing, and no one filed, that we know of....I was about 300 yards away in a tree line....

• Like 1

I have never see a person in a suit going up to people and scaring them......Actually, I have yet to see people in videos that are not part of the hoax....

When I tried, my spotter had binoculors, and people had cameras.....He would look at my direction, and even say , that is weird....People looked, said nothing, and no one filed, that we know of....I was about 300 yards away in a tree line....

That's certainly the sensible way to do it. I was just thinking of extreme situations - I do that. It's a sickness.

The point I'm trying to make; would you get into trouble, by law or whatnots,

*snip*

Trouble? While it may depend on the country you are in, in the USA you'd no doubt end up with a civil suit, and depending on all things considered, a pretty hefty lawsuit. It could ruin you, your family, without any criminal charges against you. Civil suits require far less than a criminal trial. They can ask you anything and make it hell, no matter how unintentional your behavior. And a gun pointed at and killing something is as intentional as you can get.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Imo, shooting at anything you can't identify is the worst form of negligence and the shooter deserves what he gets. There are no documented bigfoot specimens anywhere, so what the hell am I shooting at? I'd have to ask myself first. And since it would be a human in a suit and obviously human-sized (as per the OP's question), and not a 9 foot 700 lb beast out to kill me...the burden is on the shooter....

Aside from a legal hunter who stumbles upon a bigfoot:

Why the heck are you carrying a gun in the first place? Just having the gun may be a serious legal issue. And even if you have a permit you can still get into legal trouble just for carrying a gun.

What was your intent? Were you out to shoot a bigfoot?

Blah blah

Shooting a guy in a suit would be serious sht in my opinion, any way you look at it...I can't even imagine pulling the trigger...makes me shudder to think about it.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Why the heck are you carrying a gun in the first place? Because there's stuff that can kill you in the woods.

Just having the gun may be a serious legal issue. No, we have this thing called the Second Amendment.

And even if you have a permit you can still get into legal trouble just for carrying a gun. Not really. but that's a function of where you are more than anything else.

What was your intent? Self protection.

Were you out to shoot a bigfoot? If I ran across one, yes.

tinysbox13 said: "The point I'm trying to make; would you get into trouble, by law or whatnots, if you were to shoot a "BigFeet" and it turned out to be a person(s) in a "gorilla" costume?"

Classic! :tsu:

But to answer your question, not if you don't report it LOL

• Like 1

True, if it's just you and the guy in the costume......and he's dead. Hide the body and leave quietly.....and don't tell anyone.....ever!

• Like 1

Why the heck are you carrying a gun in the first place? Because there's stuff that can kill you in the woods.

Just having the gun may be a serious legal issue. No, we have this thing called the Second Amendment.

And even if you have a permit you can still get into legal trouble just for carrying a gun. Not really. but that's a function of where you are more than anything else.

What was your intent? Self protection.

Were you out to shoot a bigfoot? If I ran across one, yes.

The OP is about shooting someone in a bigfoot suit because you were fooled and thought it was an actual cryptid.

Carrying and usage of a gun still comes with rules you must follow and laws you must obey. And that is true everywhere in the United States.

Imo:

Intent (why you are about with a gun) on shooting an undocumented cryptid is not a sound legal defense.

If you were close enough to (arguably) "fear for your life" from a guy in a suit, you'd know it was a guy in a suit.

If you shoot someone just because you thought he was a cryptid you want to bag for science, you'd definitely end up with a boatload of legal and financial troubles even with our Second Amendment.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Naaaaaw.

Like I said before, it's largely going to depend on where you are when it happens and of course the circumstances.

Naaaaaw.

Like I said before, it's largely going to depend on where you are when it happens and of course the circumstances.

You are much less cynical than me, ken.

I'll not take my chances and wait for a bf to turn itself in to me or collapse of natural causes at my feet... :P

Edited by QuiteContrary