Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What kind of creature is this? At Pulau Pangk

vlcw

Any one know what kind of species is this?

As i meet him?... her?... it at Pulau pangkor beach.

It kind of weird, every legs with pincers.

It got a baloon on it's head,

the baloon with get big and small when it breathing.

• Like 1

Size? Some kind of Isopoda? Very cool, btw.

Edited by QuiteContrary

It appears to be some type of Annelid worm, of which there are many varieties in the ocean. Some are free swimming, some have stinging bristles, some have a pretty nasty bite as well, most are probably harmless and seldom seen, living inside reefs and below the sand. This one likely got into the surf and was cast up on the beach. The earthworm is a land living Annelid everyone is familiar with.

Size? Some kind of Isopoda? Very cool, btw.

Annelid, not an Isopod: too many legs for one thing.

Annelid, not an Isopod: too many legs for one thing.

Very interesting creature. If you get a name let me know, please. Thx

Very interesting creature. If you get a name let me know, please. Thx

I can't pin it down, for one thing you don't get a very good look at the dorsal side, but It could be a type of scale worm. Most are tiny, some grow to about a foot, there are some pictures on Google. There is another similar looking Annelid called a Sea Mouse, but it looks like it has "fur".

• Like 2

I can't pin it down, for one thing you don't get a very good look at the dorsal side, but It could be a type of scale worm. Most are tiny, some grow to about a foot, there are some pictures on Google. There is another similar looking Annelid called a Sea Mouse, but it looks like it has "fur".

Those scale worms (prelimary search) are quite awesome. I love stuff like this...

Those scale worms (prelimary search) are quite awesome. I love stuff like this...

If you like that, check out photos of pelagic annelid worms and for that matter pelagic animals in general, there are some very weird things in the deep sea. Oar FIsh, Gulper Eels, Vampire Squid, Viperfish, Comb Jellies are all very cool critters.

• Like 1

That is a strange looking creature, never seen something like that! very cool. But yeah, stop taking video of it an put it back in the sea.

I think you are spot on, Sundew. My first thought was a sea mouse (Aphrodita aculeata) but they are indeed usually more 'furry/bristly', so possibly a scale worm (Polynoidae...?). Those are not all that well-recorded/imaged and it could even be a new species.

(This from someone who used to run a marine research centre..)