Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

200 year-old wooden railway discovered

Still Waters

Archaeologists looking for Roman remains have stumbled across an even more historic find - a wooden railway which was instrumental in the development of the Industrial Revolution.

An excavation on the banks of the Tyne unearthed a stretch of waggonway which is more than 200 years old, making it the earliest surviving example of the standard-gauge railway.

The discovery was originally part of a network which linked the ports of the North East with collieries in Tyneside and Northumberland in the late 18th century.

http://www.dailymail...r-colliery.html

• Like 1

More interesting than some Roman trail... got enough of those...

• Like 1

oh wow thats awsome! that was a great find indeed, i agree with question mark that we have to many roman trails and roads enough already geez

That is so cool. I especially like that the article illustrates the horse and cart as it would be used. Wonder if there are Roman things beneath all of that.

• Like 1

That is so cool. I especially like that the article illustrates the horse and cart as it would be used. Wonder if there are Roman things beneath all of that.

if it was a wooden rail i would imagine it was a known path for some time so very possible

Well what do you know? Someone found my old toy train set I used to play with as a kid. Ah, that brings back memories...

• Like 1

Well what do you know? Someone found my old toy train set I used to play with as a kid. Ah, that brings back memories...

wow dude whats your secret? buble baths and rubarb?