Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Pyramid threads?

Dragonwind

There's a lot of threads on Eygpt and the pyramids here. Wondering if anyone can point me towards some good practical ones? By practical I mean threads that discuss more realistic evidence on their construction and purpose. I'm not interested in aliens, giants and even mythology so much but the true functional engineering purpose.

Usually throughout history societies only ever engage in such large engineering projects to accomplish something that benefits the whole community, particularly water and energy (Yangze and Hoover dams, Roman aquaducts etc) so I tend to like theories that focus on realistic design planning such as the shafts under the pyramids, their relation to the water table and how the pyramids fit into the greater context of it's population around the Nile. I cannot see anything to do with tombs, I don't see any direct evidence of electricity production and the new age ideas of acoustic resonance seems a bit far fetched.

The purpose of the great pyramid I keep coming back to is water management, given the effort the pyramid builders went to with the great pyramid and its relationship with the Nile and Sphinx. They had an intimate knowledge of water hydraulogy, irrigation, navigation and a very sophisticated society.

But I don't know enough about problems they had with water such as access to clean water. The great pyramid is also usually the main focus...but I want to learn more about the other pyramids. What other pyramids also have similar shafts, tunnels and relationship to water?? It seems like they are rarely discussed as a whole.

Thanks!

There's a lot of threads on Eygpt and the pyramids here. Wondering if anyone can point me towards some good practical ones? By practical I mean threads that discuss more realistic evidence on their construction and purpose. I'm not interested in aliens, giants and even mythology so much but the true functional engineering purpose.

Usually throughout history societies only ever engage in such large engineering projects to accomplish something that benefits the whole community, particularly water and energy (Yangze and Hoover dams, Roman aquaducts etc) so I tend to like theories that focus on realistic design planning such as the shafts under the pyramids, their relation to the water table and how the pyramids fit into the greater context of it's population around the Nile. I cannot see anything to do with tombs, I don't see any direct evidence of electricity production and the new age ideas of acoustic resonance seems a bit far fetched.

The purpose of the great pyramid I keep coming back to is water management, given the effort the pyramid builders went to with the great pyramid and its relationship with the Nile and Sphinx. They had an intimate knowledge of water hydraulogy, irrigation, navigation and a very sophisticated society.

But I don't know enough about problems they had with water such as access to clean water. The great pyramid is also usually the main focus...but I want to learn more about the other pyramids. What other pyramids also have similar shafts, tunnels and relationship to water?? It seems like they are rarely discussed as a whole.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I like to talk about why they were built but usually when I do it's considered OT.

Patrick Giles had one of the best threads about why here.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218422&hl= rain catch&st=0

I believe he found this site while researching this thread;

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=217110&hl= rain catch&st=0

Pretend you never saw this thread;

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=176965&hl= rain catch&st=0

• Confused 1

The threads seem to be more about water catchment. Pyramids collecting rain water or procuring water via condensation doesn't seem logical. I'm more interested in the tunnels, shafts and design of the chambers within and underneath the pyramid. A hydraulic pump to access the water table I am more open to...but then why such a big structure? Could easily build a greater number smaller structures that could do the same thing. If a mortuary temple why the trouble of designing such a bland kings chamber, why the worn box and purposeful shafts? A huge task just for a king? I need to research more on what is inside other pyramids. So many questions.

The actual construction of the pyramids and stone masonry I have less of a problem with as I have considerable experience in stone sculpture and have moved large stone blocks for landscaping via a few easy methods such as flip flopping, pivots and counter weights. Physics, time and effort.

Edited by Dragonwind

The threads seem to be more about water catchment. Pyramids collecting rain water or procuring water via condensation doesn't seem logical. I'm more interested in the tunnels, shafts and design of the chambers within and underneath the pyramid. A hydraulic pump to access the water table I am more open to...but then why such a big structure? Could easily build a greater number smaller structures that could do the same thing. If a mortuary temple why the trouble of designing such a bland kings chamber, why the worn box and purposeful shafts? A huge task just for a king? I need to research more on what is inside other pyramids. So many questions.

The actual construction of the pyramids and stone masonry I have less of a problem with as I have considerable experience in stone sculpture and have moved large stone blocks for landscaping via a few easy methods such as flip flopping, pivots and counter weights. Physics, time and effort.

It's the very size of the pyramids that makes it improbable the the intent of the builders was

simply to cap, distribute, or control water. If G1 was a ram pump there would be no reason

to build it to a point nor so large. But it's quite obvios that water was a primary consideration

in the reason for building and quite probably the means of building. Obviously a water source

during the valley flood would have been of extreme importance since this was peak growing

season and few crops could be grown elsewhere. But this importance can not explain a 6 1/2

million ton pyramid lifted by the sweat of the human brow.

I fear what you seek has never before been sought so it is unmapped and unknown. Orthodoxy

turns a blind eye to caves and can only see ruins and deserts. They are blind to water because

there is no means known for it being in the "uplands" where the pyramids are built. Vyse explored

a huge fissure adjacent to G1 in the 1830's but no further mapping or exploration has occured

since. Yet there is extensive evidence for these natural features as well as man made connect-

ions. Perhaps one of my favorites is an overflow at Saqqara that protects the walls from being

overtopped;

http://www.archaeogate.org/print/photo.php?src=18_article_677_3.jpg

This one was only recently discovered.

People are greatly underestimating the amount of work, planning, resources, and anguish that

would be required to build these by the conventionally assumed means. But they are hugely ov-

erestimating the amount of human effort that was actually used to construct them. These were

simply a cakewalk comnpared to most peoples' gross underestimation of the effort they believe

was required. Since they were so easy to build it's even possible that they were pumps and the

builders topped them off to make them look "cool". I find this far more plausiible than the tomb

theory.

We could quickly learn how these were built if we put even a little effort into it. The amount of

effort probably wouldn't even exceed the effort the builders put into lifting a single stone. It's easy

to say you want answers but we can't muster the effort to do the equivalent of lifting a single stone.

People are afraid of the truth so don't look for it to happen anytime soon.

I just saw another new documentary (2013) about how they built the pyramids the other day. It

started with "they mustta used ramps" and the construction of a $10,000 ramp with nice concrete

filled PVC pipe rollers. They even used a nice (little) two ton concrete "stone". Despite these

virtually laboratory conditions they failed to move the stone more than a few feet but then pro-

nounced the experiment a roaring success. Nevermind that the ancients lacked PVC pipe and

concrete to build ramps. Never mind that they really didn't have the lumber needed to use rollers

to effectively move a stone around the earth at the equator 70 times; UPHILL!!!

Most of the new theories coming out about pyramid construction involve water and this will continue.

Most of the new evidence coming out involves water even though those finding it don't realize it.

It's been this way all along and this will continue as well.

• Confused 1

You are very right. It is unlikely that the pyramids had anything to do with water. There are dozens of pyramids (most small ) in egypt, yet the Great Pyramid is the only one that people repeatedly go after to try to prove some water catching idea. Quite simply there were many, many other ways to do such water collecting in much easier ways.

The Great Pyramid is the only one that has atypical geometry inside, all other pyramids seem to follow the same general layout as a mastaba tomb. They have a decending tunnel and a room, or series of rooms under the body of the pyramid. All of which are concealed from the outside. Ironically it is beleived that most pyramid tombs were robbed within a generation of being completed by the very people who helped build them. And thus, most pyramids don't have anything in them... no mummys and no treasures.

Why the Great Pyramid is the way it is, I am not sure anyone actually understands. It probably would take time travel to figure out this one.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

What????

CK, why haven't you told dragonwind about your Geyser thingy??

What????

He asked about water.

Besides if he reads the threads he'll figure it out pretty fast.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

You are very right. It is unlikely that the pyramids had anything to do with water. There are dozens of pyramids (most small ) in egypt, yet the Great Pyramid is the only one that people repeatedly go after to try to prove some water catching idea. Quite simply there were many, many other ways to do such water collecting in much easier ways.

The Great Pyramid is the only one that has atypical geometry inside, all other pyramids seem to follow the same general layout as a mastaba tomb. They have a decending tunnel and a room, or series of rooms under the body of the pyramid. All of which are concealed from the outside. Ironically it is beleived that most pyramid tombs were robbed within a generation of being completed by the very people who helped build them. And thus, most pyramids don't have anything in them... no mummys and no treasures.

Why the Great Pyramid is the way it is, I am not sure anyone actually understands. It probably would take time travel to figure out this one.

If I were to guess I would say that the descending tunnel and room in the Great Pyramid was to play on robbers knowledge of how the pyramids were always built so they wouldn't think to look for an ascending passage and upper chamber.

• Like 1

People are greatly underestimating the amount of work, planning, resources, and anguish that

would be required to build these by the conventionally assumed means. But they are hugely ov-

erestimating the amount of human effort that was actually used to construct them. These were

simply a cakewalk comnpared to most peoples' gross underestimation of the effort they believe

was required. Since they were so easy to build it's even possible that they were pumps and the

builders topped them off to make them look "cool". I find this far more plausiible than the tomb

theory.

Yes we have overestimated the manpower required. So please explain to me why, if your theory is valid, it would require thousands of workers? I ask because of the discovery of worker camps that would have held thousands of workers.

Yes we have overestimated the manpower required. So please explain to me why, if your theory is valid, it would require thousands of workers? I ask because of the discovery of worker camps that would have held thousands of workers.

This idea that the "workers' village" was large enough to house countless thousands of

men is simply ludicrous and a symptom of assuming the conclusion. Once you "know" the

answer then you'll just pound all the square pegs into the round holes. The village was tiny

and housed not only the workers but also suppies, kitchens, workrooms, etc. By today's

standard it wasn't nearly large enough for even 1000 office workers who don't need sleep-

ing quarters and any of the comforts of home. It's less than 1000' by 400'.

It was this small because it only normally housed some about 700 men, 650 women and a

couple hundred children. These were the people who built the pyramid and most of them

were clerical, kitchen staff, and errand boys. It was as "large" as it was because it also had

to accomodate about 3500 quarry workers in inclement weather. Normally these men lived

in temporary housing of one sort or another (mostly tents probably) but during extremely cold

weather, storms, and blowing debris they slept in the village. Keep in mind this wouldn't be

as cramped as it sounds because they knew this would happen and the fascilities to accom-

odate them. It was primarily only the first three years that so many would even be working in

the quarry. The pyramid rose in a complicated equation but essentially the rate of increase

in height was remarkably steady meaning the numbers of workers in the quarry fell off rapid-

ly. There might have been some mechanization in the quarry so it's possible there were even

fewer quarrymen. These workers enjoyed many comforts as well since it's apparent they even

used water to keep the dust down.

There were no slaves and most of the workers were happy to be there. This applied much less

to quarry workers and less still to the two most dangerous jobs on the pyramid. Most of the py-

ramid workers actually won their jobs by lottery based on the hometown of the individuals who

had invented improved processes or devices. They had numerous festivals and holidays and

partied like it was 1999 (BC).

• Confused 1

What????

Looks like he may be getting tired of talking about it.

See? Sometimes things do turn out for the best! LOL

Harte

• Like 1

Looks like he may be getting tired of talking about it.

See? Sometimes things do turn out for the best! LOL

Harte

To paraphrase John Paul Jones, "I have not yet begun to tire.".

• Confused 1

Quick, shoot some carbonated geyser water on him before he catches fire!

Harte

Quick, shoot some carbonated geyser water on him before he catches fire!

Harte

Fear not. Usually the heat will ramp up very gradually.

• Confused 1

If I were to guess I would say that the descending tunnel and room in the Great Pyramid was to play on robbers knowledge of how the pyramids were always built so they wouldn't think to look for an ascending passage and upper chamber.

Yet the Arabs were not slow in finding the ascendign passages. :tu: I guess they should have done a better job of hiding the ascending passage. Probably should have moved the actual entrance over on another side of the pyramid, and left a False entrance that led down for robbers to find.