Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BiffSplitkins

Retailers use smartphone signals to track you

3 posts in this topic

NEW YORK — Sen. Charles Schumer wants federal authorities to regulate the practice of retailers using shoppers' smartphones to track their movement through a store.

Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday that the Federal Trade Commission should require that stores let shoppers opt out of being tracked.

Several major retailers use technology that allows them to track customers' movements through their stores by following Wi-Fi signals from smartphones.

Schumer said that shoppers who don't want to be tracked must turn of their phones' Wi-Fi or leave the devices at home.

He called cellphone tracking "intrusive and unsettling."

READ MORE

So according to Chuck Schumer it's only bad when retailers track you by using your smartphone. It's still okay for the NSA to do it though. :whistle:

1 person likes this

I don't really see the problem with this. Only if the information was strictly kept to the retailer and not shared to any other parties. I see it as an additional means to include with security cameras (intrusive and unsettling as well by this logic?) to track down shoplifters and determine how most of them act and move throughout a store to study and further implement preventative measures in the future based on collected data through this system.

I don't really see the problem with this. Only if the information was strictly kept to the retailer and not shared to any other parties. I see it as an additional means to include with security cameras (intrusive and unsettling as well by this logic?) to track down shoplifters and determine how most of them act and move throughout a store to study and further implement preventative measures in the future based on collected data through this system.

Personally, I don't have an issue with it either but Chuck Shumer sure seems to have an issue with it but he didn't seem concerned when the whole NSA / Verizon thing came out. Typical political priorities. :-)

1 person likes this