Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A mysterious coffin-within-a-coffin excavated

Still Waters

A mysterious coffin-within-a-coffin has been excavated from the same Leicester car park where Richard III was found.

Earlier this month archaeologists from The University of Leicester returned to the site where the last Plantagenet king was buried.

Laboratory tests will be carried out on the lead coffin - which was found inside a fully intact stone casket - before it is opened.

Archaeologists said it was the first time they had seen anything like it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-23487493

they found another one? man this site is getting even better by the day!

Was burial in lead a common practice at some point? I remember reading that J Edgar Hoover had his casket lead lined...

Was burial in lead a common practice at some point? I remember reading that J Edgar Hoover had his casket lead lined...

Not common but not unheard of either. Especially then when the corpse had to be transported over large distances. In this case they were probably planning to take the corpse home after the battle. Loosing did not help that.

Fascinating!!! Can't wait to see what they find inside.

Fascinating also how experts found Richard's III final resting place:

"It was one woman's hunch led to the discovery of the skeleton which has now been proven to be that of Richard III.

Screenwriter Philippa Langley said she felt a chill on a hot summer's day in 2009 as she walked through the area where it was thought he was buried.

Miss Langley initially funded the excavation of what is now a Leicester City Council car park because she was '99 per cent certain' that the remains were those of Richard."

My apologies if the above has been posted before.

Edited by Aggie
  • Like 1

indeed

I can think of more exciting things to do than going around digging up coffins,maybe one day they'll find King Arthur or Robin Hood. R.I.P all all you famous historical persons.