Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Couple's stolen caravan cannot be returned

12 posts in this topic

A couple who spent their retirement savings on a caravan only to see it stolen were astounded when police said the travellers who are living in it could not be removed as it would breach their “human rights”.

http://www.telegraph...man-rights.html

2 people like this

The traveller family are thought to have told officers they bought the stolen caravan for £300.

Shouldn't there be some sort of legal documentation of Title Transfer for that purchase for this family to have legal possession of it? If they have a legit receipt then the police need to go after the seller. Otherwise, too bad soo sad family. Find another place to live.

1 person likes this

I think if it was my caravan I'd be evicting them with the help of a machete.

3 people like this

WTF!! What kind of messed up laws do they have over there? Why aren't they being charged with theft?

2 people like this

Why don't they steal it back or hire someone to do it? All seems to be fair (for this case) in heartlessness and theft.

1 person likes this

If I could provide legal documentation that I actually owned the 'caravan' (we call them trailers here in 'Merica - caravans are soccer mom mini-vans over here) and I couldn't kick them out because of a human rights issue... I would move right in there with them and make their lives miserable until they moved out on their own. :w00t:

2 people like this

If I could provide legal documentation that I actually owned the 'caravan' (we call them trailers here in 'Merica - caravans are soccer mom mini-vans over here) and I couldn't kick them out because of a human rights issue... I would move right in there with them and make their lives miserable until they moved out on their own. :w00t:

Is stealing trailers a human right?

1 person likes this

They probably knew it was stolen when they paid 300 pounds for it. If you're gonna buy something that's stolen, be prepared for the repercussions... Oh wait, there is a terribly flawed legal system in place, no worries for them then.

Is stealing trailers a human right?

Apparently, some places it is... Don't the British have a law similar to one we have over here in the US about stolen property?... Over here if you buy stolen property - even if you do it innocently - you forfeit it back to the true owner...

Are "travellers"the same as Gypsies? Or just homeless people? If "gypsies" (or Gipsies - however it is spelled these days) why can't they stay with relatives/other Gypsies?

1 person likes this

Apparently, some places it is... Don't the British have a law similar to one we have over here in the US about stolen property?... Over here if you buy stolen property - even if you do it innocently - you forfeit it back to the true owner...

Are "travellers"the same as Gypsies? Or just homeless people? If "gypsies" (or Gipsies - however it is spelled these days) why can't they stay with relatives/other Gypsies?

'Travellers' are pretend gypsies and yes, if you buy stolen goods in the UK it's called 'reset' and you lose the goods and can be fined/jailed.

'Travellers' are pretend gypsies and yes, if you buy stolen goods in the UK it's called 'reset' and you lose the goods and can be fined/jailed.

Ssssooooo....this isn't happening in this case because....what a crock

1 person likes this

First off isn't there a exchange of registrations or something that shows who owns the vehicle?

Secondly..isn't theft a crime?

Third..who is going to be silly enough to waste all their life savings on something that depreciates the moment you drive it off the lot?

I understand the family may be homeless and since there are children involved there should be something the county can do that doesn't involve excusing theft and lying but this incident is a slap in the face to an innocent couple.

1 person likes this