Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glorybebe

U.S. wants exemption from Canadian law

23 posts in this topic

The United States wants its police officers to be exempt from Canadian law if they agree to take part in a highly touted cross-border policing initiative, says an internal RCMP memo.The debate over whose laws would apply to U.S. officers working in Canada raises important questions of sovereignty and police accountability, says the briefing note prepared for RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson.“Canadians would likely have serious concerns with cross-designated officers from the U.S. not being accountable for their actions in Canada,” the note says.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/news/bc/wants+exemption+from+Canadian+cross+border+officers+RCMP+memo/8727533/story.html?rel=838332

Yeah, you think? I have a big problem with this.

It won't happen. Or rather, 'it shouldn't happen'.

That said, with the 'Harper Government', who knows?

It won't happen. Or rather, 'it shouldn't happen'.

That said, with the 'Harper Government', who knows?

I sure hope it doesn't. I can't believe they would even put that forward as a condition.

American Military Police serving in foreign countries still have to follow local laws - civilian cops should have to do the same... If a conflict of laws arises let the state department sort it out out...

The United States wants its police officers to be exempt from Canadian law if they agree to take part in a highly touted cross-border policing initiative, says an internal RCMP memo.The debate over whose laws would apply to U.S. officers working in Canada raises important questions of sovereignty and police accountability, says the briefing note prepared for RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson.“Canadians would likely have serious concerns with cross-designated officers from the U.S. not being accountable for their actions in Canada,” the note says.

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/news/bc/wants+exemption+from+Canadian+cross+border+officers+RCMP+memo/8727533/story.html?rel=838332

Yeah, you think? I have a big problem with this.

Scared they're going to go all gansta in a Tim Hortons?

Huh. I think that when in Canada, Canadian law should rule. U.S. cops should not go work in Canada if they can't hang with the laws of the land.

Posted (edited)

American Military Police serving in foreign countries still have to follow local laws - civilian cops should have to do the same... If a conflict of laws arises let the state department sort it out out...

american civilan cops don't follow american laws, in usa, do you think the'll give a hoot about canadian????

don't let it happen canadians, for your own sake. just ask iraqis how well blackwater did, they were not accountable, and exempt from iraqi laws as well.

Edited by aztek

american civilan cops don't follow american laws, in usa, do you think the'll give a hoot about canadian????

don't let it happen canadians, for your own sake. just ask iraqis how well blackwater did, they were not accountable, and exempt from iraqi laws as well.

The difference is: If they don't follow Canadian law in Canada they are very likely to be held accountable, cop or not.

1 person likes this

lower your dose of mind numbing medication, and look around, american gvmnt workers, commit crimes all over the world and get off. very few ever get to go to jail.

wheather it is balckwater in iraq, cia in pak, or union carbide in india, they all get off. and if for some reason cia\fbi, or any other branch am. contractor would kick the crap out of you, or ran you over with a car, in greece they would get off too.

lower your dose of mind numbing medication, and look around, american gvmnt workers, commit crimes all over the world and get off. very few ever get to go to jail.

wheather it is balckwater in iraq, cia in pak, or union carbide in india, they all get off. and if for some reason cia\fbi, or any other branch am. contractor would kick the crap out of you, or ran you over with a car, in greece they would get off too.

I knew a few that wound up in a German jail. Not too many around Greece so I could not tell. They came out and said that jail was not bad at all... no worse that civilian quarters on base.

1 person likes this

You can find quite a lot of US soldiers in Korean prisons, for instance.

Posted (edited)

have you been to those jails? seen them yourself? or have credible links to translate "quite a lot" into numbers?

Edited by aztek

As soon as they cross the boarder they are subject to Canadian Law. If they break it they go to jail.

~Thanato

1 person likes this

Do you have proof they get away with everything?

Scared they're going to go all gansta in a Tim Hortons?

Being cops that's most likely where they'll end up

You can find quite a lot of US soldiers in Korean prisons, for instance.

It is more difficult for soldiers because generally the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) with the host country specifies that offenses committed by soldiers are to be settled by the JAG (Judge Advocate General) but the minimum sentence has to be equivalent to the one mandated by law in that country (exception is Arabic countries). But civilians working for the military in a host country are 100% subject to the local law. No exceptions.

It is more difficult for soldiers because generally the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) with the host country specifies that offenses committed by soldiers are to be settled by the JAG (Judge Advocate General) but the minimum sentence has to be equivalent to the one mandated by law in that country (exception is Arabic countries). But civilians working for the military in a host country are 100% subject to the local law. No exceptions.

Yes, but South Korea has primary jurisdiction over almost all crimes committed by US soldiers, or other service members. It's part of the US-South Korea SOFA agreement.

Posted (edited)

does EVERY thread have to turn into a tit-for-tat episode?!

since starting here on UM, i've taken quite an interest in N. American politics, as you guys seem very energised over it, unlike the political apathy that's infected europe, and it'd be nice to see the occasional thread not devolve into people getting shouty over semantics.

(shouty in a political sense is fine, but not in a 'my dad's bigger than your dad' stylee.....)

Yours in hope,

An Interested Party.

;-)

Edited by shrooma
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

P.s, i can't 'like' any of your comments as i've used up my quota for the day again!

:-(

Edited by shrooma

Posted (edited)

As soon as they cross the boarder they are subject to Canadian Law. If they break it they go to jail.

~Thanato

you should at least read the title,.

they are looking to be exempt from canadian laws, so no, they wont be subjects to canadian law. wheather it happens or not, depens on your politicians.

but you know, it would be vey educational for you if they are not subjected to your laws, and do same things they do here. than you will see how childish, and clueless all those things are, that you wrote about us police before.

Edited by aztek

you should at least read the title,.

they are looking to be exempt from canadian laws, so no, they wont be subjects to canadian law. wheather it happens or not, depens on your politicians.

but you know, it would be vey educational for you if they are not subjected to your laws, and do same things they do here. than you will see how childish, and clueless all those things are, that you wrote about us police before.

I did read the title. All american police will be subject to Canadian Laws, they might seek this 'exemption' however it has to go through Government and no government will allow foreign Police Officers on Canadian Soil with out having them be subject to Canadian Law.

If for some weird reason it does pass, that means that no Canadian is subject to arrest by an American Police Officer and if an American Police Officer attempts to arrest a Canadian. The Canadian is legally allowed to resist the arrest as they Police Officer is not following Canadian Laws, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the Canadian Constitution.

~Thanato

I did read the title. All american police will be subject to Canadian Laws, they might seek this 'exemption' however it has to go through Government and no government will allow foreign Police Officers on Canadian Soil with out having them be subject to Canadian Law.

If for some weird reason it does pass, that means that no Canadian is subject to arrest by an American Police Officer and if an American Police Officer attempts to arrest a Canadian. The Canadian is legally allowed to resist the arrest as they Police Officer is not following Canadian Laws, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the Canadian Constitution.

~Thanato

We can hope the gov't doesn't give in to pressure. That is my concern. Harper is not a strong leader. He seems to be a sell out IMO.