Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How the ouija board really moves

Still Waters

To many, Ouija boards are a sign of dark magic, a way to allow people to receive messages from the spirit world by being guided around the board's letters.

However, the Victorian parlor game, and other 'spiritual' devices such as dowsing wands, are guided by the people holding them, scientists have found.

Under a phenomenon known as the ideomotor effect, muscles and movements can move without a person being aware of the action, leading many to believe they have witnessed some form of magic, according to BBC Future.

http://www.dailymail...-rods-move.html

• Like 1

This has been known for a very long time ( and posted ) . But, maybe with this post, people will now listen.

• Like 6

doubt it, people are gullible and rather be ignorant. Just like people using ghost radar.

• Like 3

In my opinion, it is a combination of both. While people can subsconsciously move the arrow towards letters an numbers and create words and sentence of their own, I think that it can serve as a tool, as a mean to communicate with spirits and entity. Just like EVP sessions, it does happens that the EVP is nothing but pareidolia. But in some cases, it is crystal clear and even related to what you were doing or perhaps calling your name.

Also it is relevant to point out that these studies never considered various documented cases of alleged hauntings after Ouija sessions. So it would seem that in some cases, the game doesn't stop even if the board is back in the closet.

There is many ways to try to communicate with spirits and entities. Ouija has nothing more special than other means despite his reputation. You can try for a long time and never get anything out of it. No doubt the mental strain and excitation caused by the (excessive) use of it may reach the counciousness at a deep level. Repeated use can become an obesession and lead to depression and psychosis. That doesn't mean that if you open up yourself to it, you cannot be vulnarable and opening a door in your life to the unknown.

Edited by sam_comm

the 'facilitated communication' messages were actually coming from them

Doesn't mean that we should remove the possibility that the ghost actually control the host's body.

• Like 1

My apologies for not having been around as much as I might like but things happen. Enough said on that. As for "the Board", I do hate to sound like I am repeating myself, which I am, but it IS NOT A TOY, yeah, "heard that before, used it, nothing exciting happened" Well maybe not "this time" but I frankly dont like the odds because if things go "wrong", one wil have more issues than"they can shake a stick at". OH, some folks can use it, use it correctly and safely, more power to them. I just don't think it's a "learn as you go" and way too many fold don't read the literature about it before just seeing what one can do with it. "play with it if you must but be careful because it can and will "bite you" if you don't know what you are doing. Here ends the sermon for today.

• Like 1

My apologies for not having been around as much as I might like but things happen. Enough said on that. As for "the Board", I do hate to sound like I am repeating myself, which I am, but it IS NOT A TOY, yeah, "heard that before, used it, nothing exciting happened" Well maybe not "this time" but I frankly dont like the odds because if things go "wrong", one wil have more issues than"they can shake a stick at". OH, some folks can use it, use it correctly and safely, more power to them. I just don't think it's a "learn as you go" and way too many fold don't read the literature about it before just seeing what one can do with it. "play with it if you must but be careful because it can and will "bite you" if you don't know what you are doing. Here ends the sermon for today.

Bigger and more colorful text does not make it true.......

It is just a Toy.

• Like 8

It's a toy. They sell it at children's toy stores. If it can really conjure demons, they wouldn't market it towards kids and families.

Edited by Kipperphoenix
  • Like 2

OMG, do you know how many ouija boards are sold world wide each DAY? I doubt it is just a 'few'. I reckon over the last 10 yrs MILLIONS were sold, and that is probably just in the united states alone. II have not heard of MILLIONS of demons being summoned..

If it was all that dangerous, then after millions of 'testers' it would be on the news by now and banned.

• Like 4

OMG, do you know how many ouija boards are sold world wide each DAY? I doubt it is just a 'few'. I reckon over the last 10 yrs MILLIONS were sold, and that is probably just in the united states alone. II have not heard of MILLIONS of demons being summoned..

If it was all that dangerous, then after millions of 'testers' it would be on the news by now and banned.

A Ouija board is nothing more than a piece of wood with painted letters and number on it, we all know that. You don't even need to buy one, you can fabricate one yourself with a solid piece of cardboard or wood if you prefer and use a penny as an Arrow. The Parker Brothers and now Hasbro sell this as a game because well that's what it is isn't it? You try to summon spirit to interact and communicate with them through the board. This 'game' is still on the market because no one has been able to prove (just like the paranormal in general which is elusive) that there is more to it than a spooky teenage game. In their selling pitch they don't even mention that it is mainly used to communicate with spirits but it is rather said ''to ask a question to the Mystifying oracle''. That's for the parents to juge in the end.

My understaning is that it can serve as a tool, as a mean among many others to communicate with the unknown. You can try long enough and never get any significant results but in some cases, people with more or less jugements have opened up themselves and unvoluntarily draw something negative on them. The game didn't stop even if it was safely back in the closet. I personally have an open mind about this kind of paranormall phenomenon and I believe that such a thing can occur though rarely.

The bad reputation of Ouija has probably been blown out of proportion, the appearance of it in the movie ''The Excorsime'' might have contributed to that as well. But stories of paranormal activity doesn't come solely from Ouija session but for many other way: Pendulums use, excessive use of EVP sessions, other esoteric ritual ect.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

Everyone has a right to their opinion. From personal experience, they work. It shouldn't be played around with. I'm not going to try to convince anyone one way or the other.

• Like 1

..... anyone who thinks otherwise has some serious mental deficiencies.

Well now, that really inspires conversation now, doesn't it?

Anyway, I do think that our minds are great at fulfilling our wishes and will alter itself to give whatever perceptions is wanted even when it is all fake.

Hallucinations, placebo effects, dowsing...all of it is simply results of what we strongly desire to happen or based on certain strong thoughts.

The Ouija is a silly board designed to cater to our collective gullibility.

It's a toy. They sell it at children's toy stores. If it can really conjure demons, they wouldn't market it towards kids and families.

Sure they do.

;)

ouija-board--1_zps72506bab.jpg

• Like 3

It's a stupid toy and anyone who things otherwise has some serious mental deficiencies.

I see loads of convincing arguments in that post. Bravo. :)

Anyway, The concept of ''Ouija'' board or ''spirit'' board to avoid the trademark to communicate with the after life wasn't first conceived as a toy. Actually traces of this can be found in China 1100 AD as fuji. Also, in 500 B.C the Ancient Greece in the days of Pythagoras does a mention of sceance around a wooden board is made. The use of a wooden board to communicate with spirits is thus very old and comes from deep rooten beliefs of the after life. Only far later in the ''reinvention'' of this concept as we know it today with the letters, numbers, YES and NO did the commercial introduction of Ouija board was made July first 1890 by Elijah bond in the hype of the spiritisme mode.

<<Snip>>

Edited by kmt_sesh
Avoid nflammatory remarks.

Anyway, The concept of ''Ouija'' board or ''spirit'' board to avoid the trademark wasn't first conceived as a toy. Actually traces of this can be found in China 1100 AD as fuji. The use of a wooden board to communicate with spirits is thus very old and comes from deep rooten beliefs of the after life. Only far later in the ''reinvention'' of this concept did the commercial introduction of Ouija board was made July first 1890 by Elijah bond in the hype of the spiritisme mode.

* snip *

* snip *

Edited by Saru
Removed vulgar insult
  • Like 1

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 3

Anyway, The concept of ''Ouija'' board or ''spirit'' board to avoid the trademark to communicate with the after life wasn't first conceived as a toy. Actually traces of this can be found in China 1100 AD as fuji. Also, in 500 B.C the Ancient Greece in the days of Pythagoras does a mention of sceance around a wooden board is made. The use of a wooden board to communicate with spirits is thus very old and comes from deep rooten beliefs of the after life. Only far later in the ''reinvention'' of this concept as we know it today with the letters, numbers, YES and NO did the commercial introduction of Ouija board was made July first 1890 by Elijah bond in the hype of the spiritisme mode.

<<Snip>>

Questions and statements:

1. Do you believe it works?

2. Did you know about "ideomotor effect"?

3. How come all the readings have never summoned a demon, never present a ghost for the world to see except in stories?

4. Putting the "ideomotor effect" a side, the major issues skeptics have with the whole concept of the oujia board is it's beyond easy to tamper while using it by intentionally moving the cup around and blame the spirits.The only true way to tell is to make the people that are moving blind folded and some one watching with the board moved at a different angle (with out them knowing).

5. just because it is old traditions doesn't make it valid, Remember, back in the c. AD 250-900 it was very popular to do human sacrifice to their gods and yet you don't see many cultures doing that THESE days.

6. Go to number 7

7. Go to number 6

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 2

6. Go to number 7

7. Go to number 6

Hehe!

• Like 2

I understand your sentiments, really, I do. I just fail to see how name-calling and crass (and vulgar) remarks really helps to convey your point.

• Like 3

Posters, avoid personal ridicule and inflammatory remarks. They serve no useful purpose. Failure to abide by the Rules will result in the closing of this thread and possible account suspensions.

kmt_sesh

I understand your sentiments, really, I do. I just fail to see how name-calling and crass (and vulgar) remarks really helps to convey your point.

It doesn't. I also don't care that it doesn't.

It's just stupid that such absolutely ridiculous claims are treated as absolute fact on this site such as the oft repeated "Don't mess with ouija boards. Stuff happens if you do that I, nor anyone else can ever and have never been able to prove" or the "Doesn't work if you don't believe" crap.

Also, I just did't like the posters passive aggressive response, so I responded aggressively. Why hid my disdain for them? I will refrain from expressing my dislike any further so as to not be suspended.

• Like 2

It doesn't. I also don't care that it doesn't.

It's just stupid that such absolutely ridiculous claims are treated as absolute fact on this site such as the oft repeated "Don't mess with ouija boards. Stuff happens if you do that I, nor anyone else can ever and have never been able to prove" or the "Doesn't work if you don't believe" crap.

Also, I just did't like the posters passive aggressive response, so I responded aggressively. Why hid my disdain for them? I will refrain from expressing my dislike any further so as to not be suspended.

I have a disdain for nonsense too but it's just that it seemed like what you did seemed to go far beyond what was posted by others.

I guess I just don't see where anyone was vulgar to you to begin with.

To be very honest I would be afraid to have any sort of conversation with you on anything because if I was unfortunate enough to say something you disagreed with, I would fear being treated with vulgar comments and name-calling.

• Like 1

I have a disdain for nonsense too but it's just that it seemed like what you did seemed to go far beyond what was posted by others.

I guess I just don't see where anyone was vulgar to you to begin with.

To be very honest I would be afraid to have any sort of conversation with you on anything because if I was unfortunate enough to say something you disagreed with, I would fear being treated with vulgar comments and name-calling.

Then maybe you need a bit thicker skin.

• Like 2