Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How the ouija board really moves

Still Waters

Hi, Brian Topp I'll attempt to respond to some questions of your survey based on my personal opinion. For the missing questions, I think I've already treated the subject above.

2. Did you know about "ideomotor effect"?

I do. I've heard of it some time before this thread was made actually. While I think it can explain many cases, just like pareidolia can explain many words heard form EVPs, I feel that as a mean to attempt communication with spirits, it can in some cases just do that. For I am open minded about this subject and I think that spirits and entities may seek to communicate and you may be able to do so through various means. May it be Ouija board, pendulum, EVP session, spirit box ect. So a combination of both explanation seems to be much more satisfying to me with regard to many credible story I've heard concerning spirit boards and other which were simply nonsense.

3. How come all the readings have never summoned a demon, never present a ghost for the world to see except in stories?

As far as I know, Demons are not ghosts. While I think it may be possible that if a person whith more or less jugement open up him/herself too much just like someone who by excessive use of EVP sessions can open a breach in his/her life to the unkown, then I think a malevolent entity (Demon, Dybbuk, Djinn how do you call it?) can perhaps manage to get hold of this person. But, to be clear, I am not among those who will say ''never play with a Ouija board!!, it's a demon summoner!'' for I think that this kind view is extreme and that the reputation of Ouija has been blown out of proportion. Play with it if you want and have fun.

4. Putting the "ideomotor effect" a side, the major issues skeptics have with the whole concept of the oujia board is it's beyond easy to tamper while using it by intentionally moving the cup around and blame the spirits.The only true way to tell is to make the people that are moving blind folded and some one watching with the board moved at a different angle (with out them knowing).

I agree, in fact this is true for you may have heard that at times Ouija sessions give incoherent results. One ask the question:'' what is your name'' and it spells for instance: ''FRTGHRTY'' clearly that hs a case of unintantionally moving the Arrow in the excitation and spelling nonsense.

5. just because it is old traditions doesn't make it valid, Remember, back in the c. AD 250-900 it was very popular to do human sacrifice to their gods and yet you don't see many cultures doing that THESE days.

That wasn't my point Brian Topp. I was refering to the fact that using a wooden board to communicate with spirit is a very old concept and thus the beliefs of the after life is deep rooten. It has not always been manifactured as a toy Under the brand name Ouija. The concept reaches far earlier than that. Whether you believe in the communication with spirits and entities is up to you. :)

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

Then maybe you need a bit thicker skin.

If verbal abuse is the only way for you to convey your ideas then there is nothing you and I can civilly discuss. Thanks for your replies and thanks for not abusing me..yet.

Edited by Ryu

Forget it...I was going to say something but it just doesn't matter....

I saw your original post. Didn't realize that you were the internet police. Won't happen again, officer.

Please stay on topic. Use the PM feature to have a personal discussion, but refrain from doing it in the thread.

Thanks.

kmt_sesh

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Toys R Us the other day in the game section looking for Cards Against Humanity and I saw 2 different Ouija boards. Go evil magjic!

• Like 1

I was at Toys R Us the other day in the game section looking for Cards Against Humanity and I saw 2 different Ouija boards. Go evil magjic!

It is manifactured by Hasbro. No doubt you'll find Ouija Boards alongside other games in stores. But if you read the instruction, or at least the description, there is no mention that the board is mainly uses for contacting spirits and entities. Instead, you've to ask your questions to the ''mystifying Oracle'' ! Needless to say that contacting this ''Mystifying oracle'' is not the purpose of the people doing Ouija sessions. Accessories of occult practices are not allowed to be sold in general stores. But games are. :)

Edited by sam_comm

It is manifactured by Hasbro. No doubt you'll find Ouija Boards alongside other games in stores. But if you read the instruction, or at least the description, there is no mention that the board is mainly uses for contacting spirits and entities. Instead, you've to ask your questions to the ''mystifying Oracle'' ! Needless to say that contacting this ''Mystifying oracle'' is not the purpose of the people doing Ouija sessions. Accessories of occult practices are not allowed to be sold in general stores. But games are. :)

Cards Against Humanity is way more fun.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sure they do.

;)

ouija-board--1_zps72506bab.jpg

I love this.

Questions and statements:

1. Do you believe it works?

2. Did you know about "ideomotor effect"?

3. How come all the readings have never summoned a demon, never present a ghost for the world to see except in stories?

4. Putting the "ideomotor effect" a side, the major issues skeptics have with the whole concept of the oujia board is it's beyond easy to tamper while using it by intentionally moving the cup around and blame the spirits.The only true way to tell is to make the people that are moving blind folded and some one watching with the board moved at a different angle (with out them knowing).

5. just because it is old traditions doesn't make it valid, Remember, back in the c. AD 250-900 it was very popular to do human sacrifice to their gods and yet you don't see many cultures doing that THESE days.

6. Go to number 7

7. Go to number 6

I think maybe you don't really understand how this is played because you are too formally skeptical than to try this to see for yourself how it really works. Yes it is only a wood board with letters on it, and it is merely an instrument upon which to focus. So I can tell you how to do this: You will probably need to find a few friends to play, you think of this as a game if you want to, but this can evolve into so much more besides that. The OUIJA board itself is renoun because this is sort of a mysterious thing, people do get messages unlike anything they could have invented or made up among themselves with the board. I know because I have tried that before, but the OUIJA board is not always necessary. You should light some candles and also darken the room a bit but not too much so you can see the board clearly enough. The participants always accuse one another of pushing but letter by letter the message spells out. The point is that nobody knows in advance or directed what that message would become, if that was done correctly. It comes from the subconscious, not by spirit possession, but it is uncanny too the movement of the OUIJA planchette is not like a reflex action at all. It takes a lot of nerve to play this game with ghosts, it is not a party toy, this is how to have a real seance. But don't expect too much.......needy baby, greedy baby.

Edited by spacelizard667

Why candles? what is it with ghosts and making the room a fire hazard?

needy baby, greedy baby.

Ah, you rhymed, surely the strongest way to convince people

It is easy enough to simply assume that OUIJA participants are 'pushing' the planchette without ever actually having the evidence, if they are pushing, do you think that YouTube is going to show video of this ? I mean who wants to watch six hours of people defrauding the public, and if there was any money in that they would have a flood of applicants in no time. I didn't see anything on this topic posted that would make me think that y'all knew how OUIJA was actually supposed to be done right, so I posted. Like I said the participants always accuse the others of pushing, which they know that they are not supposed to do, it takes some observation and a moderator of sorts to make sure that no one cheats the board or leads the others on. Use a taperecorder and call out the letters as the planchette moves about. You can archive the results. You can try asking questions of which you can be absolutely certain that the answers are not known to anybody at all yet. You should also ask something which can be proven a few weeks later to check the OUIJA board's spirits accuracy too, not all of these spirits are honest. It takes weeks to develop the spirit contact and to gain confidence and develop trust in their messages, not hours. Spirits can become surprisingly active communicators and they seem to know about things on the astral long before they manifest on the physical plane. Instead of basing your arguements on a personal skepticism why don't you just try that yourselves and that should eliminate a lot of guesswork. Simply those who are skeptics themselves thrive on hearsay and assumptions without facts.

Edited by spacelizard667

Now thats an interesting challenge, and also one that a skeptic can't win.

If I do a ouiji and it doesn't work

"well, you didn't believe enough/spirits didn't wanna talk/etheral vibrations weren't attuned/etc."

It's simply not winnable for the skeptic.

For what it's worth, I've seen ouijis done, I dated a self professed witch for a few years, and I was never impressed by her magic, or spirit communications or whatever jargon.

It's subconscious on these sort of things, vague answers.

I don't see you providing facts to support your spirits.

• Like 3

Now thats an interesting challenge, and also one that a skeptic can't win.

If I do a ouiji and it doesn't work

"well, you didn't believe enough/spirits didn't wanna talk/etheral vibrations weren't attuned/etc."

It's simply not winnable for the skeptic.

For what it's worth, I've seen ouijis done, I dated a self professed witch for a few years, and I was never impressed by her magic, or spirit communications or whatever jargon.

It's subconscious on these sort of things, vague answers.

I don't see you providing facts to support your spirits.

I don't know what you mean by evidence since spirits can't take a urine test. They leave no physical evidence. And I am not set up to provide you with whatever you require as evidence. If the personal experience alone isn't enough to convince you that the etherial plane has been glided then no matter how much evidence is presented by anybody that means nothing. Interesting photographs perhaps, but there are already so many successful fakes out there. If that is what you need then you should have no trouble finding them yourself. Skeptics have such a negative attitude that it's no wonder that those who are interested in developing their innate psychic talents avoid them and since the spirits seemingly do not cooperate for you, then it is time that you should realize that they are offended by that too. As long as you insist in going about your 'research' in a negative way you will never find what you are looking for. I know.

I don't know what you mean by evidence since spirits can't take a urine test. They leave no physical evidence. And I am not set up to provide you with whatever you require as evidence. If the personal experience alone isn't enough to convince you that the etherial plane has been glided then no matter how much evidence is presented by anybody that means nothing. Interesting photographs perhaps, but there are already so many successful fakes out there. If that is what you need then you should have no trouble finding them yourself. Skeptics have such a negative attitude that it's no wonder that those who are interested in developing their innate psychic talents avoid them and since the spirits seemingly do not cooperate for you, then it is time that you should realize that they are offended by that too. As long as you insist in going about your 'research' in a negative way you will never find what you are looking for. I know.

I still want to know why you think alirns are using oujia boards
  • Like 2

It is easy enough to simply assume that OUIJA participants are 'pushing' the planchette without ever actually having the evidence

No, the evidence is they are holding it.

Some people are incredibly naïve.

Even telekinesis frauds are smart enough not to hold the object they're moving.

So the lack of evidence isnt proof to a lack of paranormal influence, its proof that I have a bad attitude and thats enough to chase away these multi dimensional spirits?

Given all that they dont reayll sound worth talking to or I'm some jon Constantine level legend in their world

It got seriously trimmed because of the constant personal attacks, I am assuming.

Anywhoo, the Ouija is "fun" but for me it gets boring.

Supposedly these "spirits" can make noise, move furniture, whisper or moan yet they can't pick up a pen and write a note and need some children (or adults) gathered around a square of cardboard to talk.

Hmmm..it just doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

does that happen often?

Only when the attacks get out of hand and gets too aggressive.

Anywhoo, the Ouija is "fun" but for me it gets boring.

Supposedly these "spirits" can make noise, move furniture, whisper or moan yet they can't pick up a pen and write a note and need some children (or adults) gathered around a square of cardboard to talk.

Hmmm..it just doesn't make sense to me.

It's always just seemed like a way for someone to mess with their friends, or your subconscious moving the triangle thingy to me

It's always just seemed like a way for someone to mess with their friends, or your subconscious moving the triangle thingy to me

Pretty much.

Not to mention the fact that it was released when spiritualism was having a huge resurgence during the 20's. I like to thank Mr. Houdini for his part in putting that to rest.