Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People Are Dramatically Changed By NDEs

markdohle

The following article was written by P.M.H. Atwater, L.H.D., Ph.D. (Hon.), reprinted by permission, concerning the dramatic aftereffects of a near-death experience. This article is also available on her NDE website.

No matter what the nature of the experience, it alters some lives. Alcoholics find themselves unable to imbibe. Hardened criminals opt for a life of helping others. Atheists embrace the existence of a deity, while dogmatic members of a particular religion report "feeling welcome in any church or temple or mosque."

Nancy Evans Bush, president emeritus of the International Association for Near-Death Studies, says the experience is revelatory. "Most near-death survivors say they don't think there is a God," she says. "They know."

In 1975, when Raymond Moody published Life After Life, a book that coined the term "near-death experience" (NDE) to describe this hard-to-define phenomenon. Moody interviewed 150 near-death patients who reported vivid experiences (flashing back to childhood, coming face to face with Christ). He found that those who had undergone NDEs became more altruistic, less materialistic, and more loving.

Bruce Greyson and Ian Stevenson have been instrumental in gathering evidence indicating that religious backgrounds do not affect who is most likely to have a NDE. They have mapped out the conversion-like effects of NDEs that can sometimes lead to hardship.

"They can see the good in all people," Greyson says of people who have experienced the phenomenon. "They act fairly naive, and they often allow themselves to be opened up to con men who abuse their trust."

They have gathered reports of high divorce rates and problems in the workplace following NDEs.

"The values you get from a NDE are not the ones you need to function in everyday life," says Greyson. Having stared eternity in the face, he observes, those who return often lose their taste for ego-boosting achievement.

Not even the diehard skeptics doubt the powerful personal effects of NDEs. "This is a profound emotional experience," explains Nuland. "People are convinced that they've seen heaven."

Continue: http://www.near-deat...evidence05.html

• Like 3

cool

• Like 1

I love reading about NDE's. For believers in God and Jesus like myself, they become a peek into how Jesus is alive and still actively working through people to better lives and teach about love. There are a lot of interesting facets of them and every NDE is unique in its own right. One of the more famous ones from years ago is Betty Eadie's, best known for real life events turned into a movie, "Not Without My Daughter." I haven't read her book about it, but ill eventually get around to reading it. Great stuff and I think NDE's can teach a lot to people who are more religiously closed in and not open minded about this kind of experience.

I've always figured NDEs are just your brain firing things off in a panic.

And what emotional connection people keep to the experience is their own work.

Edited by SkepticalB
  • Like 1

Iv never had a NDE, but I like reading about them. did you guys see that one about the guy who was shown what hell looked like, I think he had a couple of shows about it

My friend drowned but they were able to get him breathing and alive after ten minutes. Needless to say he's much more spiritual and peaceful. Won't say what he saw with the experience though

• Like 1

My friend drowned but they were able to get him breathing and alive after ten minutes. Needless to say he's much more spiritual and peaceful. Won't say what he saw with the experience though

if the experience was legit, those spirits would most likley have asked your friend not to spill the beans

Twice had a NDE but not stereotypical as others have. Once I left my body to escape pain. Another time I had an NDE I met one of my pet dog's who passed away the year before. She guided me back to full health. Each experience is personal.

I love reading about NDE's. For believers in God and Jesus like myself, they become a peek into how Jesus is alive and still actively working through people to better lives and teach about love. There are a lot of interesting facets of them and every NDE is unique in its own right. One of the more famous ones from years ago is Betty Eadie's, best known for real life events turned into a movie, "Not Without My Daughter." I haven't read her book about it, but ill eventually get around to reading it. Great stuff and I think NDE's can teach a lot to people who are more religiously closed in and not open minded about this kind of experience.

From what I've heard it seems to me just to be DMT. Read up on it. There are a lot of similarities between people consciously under the fluency of DMT and NDEs.