Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Corpses could soon be revived 24 hours after

Big Bad Voodoo

Why on earth are people so afraid of dying?

This disturbs me.

Some crazy people enjoy life.
  • Like 1

The thing is, this guy says in 20 years ..."maybe" they can do it. Funny enough he is also promoting a book on the subject, so sensational claims sell books!

Well what about all those bodies in cryogenic freezers? One of the first was in the 60's, 40 years ago and still no tech exists to bring them back.

But in reality, a corpse would have to be in a clinic/hospital within moments of death, in order to pump oxygen to the blood/brain etc, a bit like a life support system can keep clinically dead people seemingly alive, (in terms of breathing and heart beating etc).

So if its the case where you find say a 10 hour dead corpse, Id say that, along with the issues of rigor mortis which can set in after a few hours, and oxygen starvation to the cells and brain, plus the fact the blood settles in the lowest parts of the body and thickens and rots, and the intestinal bacteria create gasses and eat the body from the inside...that the body may be too far gone for re animating, if found some time after death.

Still - whether he is sensationalizing it for his book is one thing, but another thing is, this idea is mainly for heart attack victims. Those dying of natural old age or cancer will be staying dead for sure.

Anyone else get reminded of Stephen Kings, Pet Sematary?

You have 6 minutes without oxygen before brain death starts. I think the only people on this list would be people they know have only been dead less than 6 minutes, like people that die in emergency rooms or during surgery and have oxygen and blood flowing and of course it keeps flowing. Maybe someone frozen. Also the heart would have to be healthy, as in people that die from trauma or shock. If it's someone with heart disease there's little point is resusitation. If someone can be actually classified as a corpse? I don't think so.

Edited by Hobbit Feet

This disturbs me.

It's the fear of emptiness and fear of loss. If you can fathom the possibility that death may be the loss of everything that's your existence, except the physical residue, it can make your selfish side scared. Some have a stronger side there, and haven't found assurance in that they do not disappear nor solace in the disappearing itself. It's kind of a rest, gives you a break. It's ultimately the fear itself that makes you feel bad though.

Do we not start to decompose as soon as we die?

As soon as we start to live.

• Like 3

This disturbs me.

Have you had anything in your life happen that did put a date / stamp on your life?

I did recently. I had a malignent Melanoma, 2.08 inch's deep. I had surgery to remove a good chunk of my leg, and some lymphnodes to be biopsied.

Now, when you have Doctors telling you you have the worst kind of skin cancer there is, and that it may have spread into lymphnodes, then you look on the internet at your death sentence, it is very scary.

I am still scared. Everything came out fine, although I do have to see a Oncologist and possibly have more done.

This opened my eyes to seeing there are so many things I still want to do, and know I will not accomplish 90% of them. I think about my Grandson, Grand Daughter, son and daughter, and my wife. I am the only one that works, so I support my wife.

I am also not a man of " faith "....Lets say, I do not know what to believe in, and that is scary on its own right now.

I don't know, maybe if you were told you had terminal illness, and that your life may be cut short of what it could be, you would not have said that.

This disturbs me.

I have the BIGGEST fear of death. I dont believe in an afterlife, so to me death is non-existence. I've not existed for billions of years, but its harder to go from sentient being to non-sentient. Existing is all we know. What will it be like to finally shut off, to no longer have 1 single thought? Ever? Never again will you experience any senses, any thoughts.... its like you never were. Imagine that moment of turning off. Its not like sleep because you wake from sleep and can take stock of the fact that you were unconscious. Theres no waking up to realize you were asleep with death.

Oh god I'm getting goosebumps I need to stop thinking about this...

I have the BIGGEST fear of death. I dont believe in an afterlife, so to me death is non-existence. I've not existed for billions of years, but its harder to go from sentient being to non-sentient. Existing is all we know. What will it be like to finally shut off, to no longer have 1 single thought? Ever? Never again will you experience any senses, any thoughts.... its like you never were. Imagine that moment of turning off. Its not like sleep because you wake from sleep and can take stock of the fact that you were unconscious. Theres no waking up to realize you were asleep with death.

Oh god I'm getting goosebumps I need to stop thinking about this...

consider this then.... as a person ages, and then loses their looks, their figure, their hair, their teeth, their hearing, vision, and mental faculties, who become incontinent and ravaged by age related diseases, left in a chair in an old folks home....whose long time and old-time friends have died or are in the same old aged deteriorating state... with no hope of getting any younger...

still want to live forever?

But I know what you mean, sort of.. but everything dies doesn't it? it HAS to, and thats part of life. And when life is over, nobody will even know they are dead.

unless your believe in ghosts and stuff like that.

So....LIVE EVERY DAY...like it might be your last! make plans and follow thru, travel, love, make joy...

and now Im getting all Bazz Lurman and his Sunscreen hit :w00t:

eta: Bazz Lurman, a good message

Edited by seeder

Well, I know it's kinda moot to say this when I'm far from that age yet, but I wouldn't mind living forever if there was no second chance and nothing after life. Life is suffering anyhow... but if my mental capacities, thinking feeling and that, be reduced too much, then it's not as tempting. Ambition-wise, to realise your life-dreams, having an extended life does sound good, but apart from that and maybe experiencing some states of mind I dont see what's good in it. Why do we live?

• Like 1

Is there any point where science believes that its going to far, I mean I'm in no way afraid of death hell Iv actually almost died 3 different times due to pneumonia related illnesses. Iv been hospitalized more times than I can count and even put into a medical induced coma. I'm not saying life isn't great and should not be enjoyed, but at some point like Seeder said everything has to end. Now don't get me wrong I'm not anxious for death but when it comes it comes. I don't really know what happens after you die but either its another journey or a great rest that I won't be aware of.

• Like 1

But can they cure the disease that caused that persons death? N can they restore youth? Don think anyone will wan to live looking old forever

• Like 1

Pretty much yes... And if a person was revived after being dead for 20 hrs or some such they would almost certainly suffer some pretty severe brain damage...

With that being said, I'm pretty sure at that least half of my friends must have been dead once.

• Like 1

We are only the moments that we experience. I am certain that there is something after death, yet I find myself still with a desire to cling to this life. Just watching my boys play is a wonderful pleasure. Like Sakari, I had a cancer scare...twice actually. I don't want to die, there is to much to do in this world. To many wonderful moments with family, my wife, and nature. It really is a precious time. Its like child hood.

• Like 1

Pretty much yes... And if a person was revived after being dead for 20 hrs or some such they would almost certainly suffer some pretty severe brain damage...

I'll stay dead thank you.

I'll stay dead thank you.

Yeah and who's to say there is nothing after death.