Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lost Egyptian City Revealed

Big Bad Voodoo

Heracleion, also known as Thonis, was an ancient Egyptian city near Alexandria whose ruins are located in Abu Qir Bay. It was known as early as the 12th century BC but its importance grew during the waning days of the Pharaohs, the late period, when it was Egypt's main port. It was believed that Helen of Troy and Hercules had visited the city, and that the city had even gained its name from Hercules. There was also a large temple dedicated to the Greek hero at the city center. Pharaoh Nectanebo I made many additions to the temple in the 4th century B.C.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleion

http://seriouslyforreal.com/seriously-for-real/heracleion-photos-lost-egyptian-city-revealed-after-1200-years-under-sea/

• Like 3

Then I beg admin to merged thread. I thought pictures are amazing from such mysterious site.

I don't see any harm in it. The original thread on this subject didn't last long and it's not likely to be resurrected, so let's see how yours does.

• Like 1

This is pretty awesome! Have you got anything on the hieroglyph meanings?

• Like 1

It is believed that Hercules visted city...so who believed in it and based on what? Was Hercules alive?

This is pretty awesome! Have you got anything on the hieroglyph meanings?

I guess you dont ask me...because to me those look like alienglyphs.

Edited by the L

I guess you dont ask me...because to me those look like alienglyphs.

alienglyphs, hieroglyphs - still curious as to what they say

Those aren't alienglyphs. Aliens wrote in cuneiform. :alien:

I can't see them well enough myself but the stela appears to be a dedicatory monument, so it likely contains a prayer and a text honoring the king. Formulaic stuff, in other words. In the pictorial at top you see a king (certainly one of the Ptolemies) honoring what appears to be the goddess Neith on her throne.

• Like 1

This statue looks vaguely like an early depiction of Akhenaten. Hmm, I wonder how long before somebody else sees this, then wilfuly ignores it is not Akhenaten and we end up with fantastical nonsense like Alexander being Akhenaten, or, well, imagine anything, write a book, make a documentary, buy your own island in the Sun and lay back and laugh at the plebs who believed you. Too cynical of me? Noooo

1a5b061e7987.jpg

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri

This statue looks vaguely like an early depiction of Akhenaten. Hmm, I wonder how long before somebody else sees this, then wilfuly ignores it is not Akhenaten and we end up with fantastical nonsense like Alexander being Akhenaten, or, well, imagine anything, write a book, make a documentary, buy your own island in the Sun and lay back and laugh at the plebs who believed you. Too cynical of me? Noooo

<<Snip>>

Well, thanks, Tutankhaten. It would've gone unnoticed till you brought it up, so sit back and watch the books churn out. :w00t:

• Like 1

Those photos are so cool and amazing. Are they going to retrieve as much as possible or just a bit for now?

Wondrous find. It would be interesting to know why it sank. Funny--when I read it was found under 30 feet of water, my first thought was New York City... ^_^

Probably due to subduction/earthquakes as Africa inches northward, plowing itself under the Eurasian continental plate.

Part of nearby Alexandria is under the Mediterreanean as well.

In the Alps, geologists have identified part of the African continental plate.

Harte

...is that a thing? A real Fringe thing? Because... that's dumb.

--Jaylemurph

...is that a thing? A real Fringe thing? Because... that's dumb.

--Jaylemurph

No, it was just a spur of the moment made up example, but hardly more bizarre that what fringe make up.

Makes sense to me, both ruled Egypt, both names start with "A." Both names contain nine letters. A "k" looks a lot like an "x."

Plus, I hear that Alexander had a secretary named Akhenaten, while Akhenaten had a secretary named Alexander.

It's simply unexplainable in any other way.

Harte

Makes sense to me, both ruled Egypt, both names start with "A." Both names contain nine letters. A "k" looks a lot like an "x."

Plus, I hear that Alexander had a secretary named Akhenaten, while Akhenaten had a secretary named Alexander.

It's simply unexplainable in any other way.

Harte

Damn, Harte, that made me bust out laughing. Thanks for that...especially the secretary business.

But we must not encourage the fringies because what we write in jest, they take for fact,